Railroad Forums 

• B&H 4 Scrapped

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1507693  by sd80mac

The switcher is being scrapped since yesterday. If you swing by there, you should be able to see the cut up switcher - not completed. I would give it 2 or 3 more days for the solo guy to finish the job - Monday and Tues, maybe wed. I will see it on Monday for last time as I am hitting the road monday evening so I wont see the completed job.
 #1507715  by SST

Are they going to utilize any of it for spare parts? There was a program on the Smithsonian Channel last week and they showed the dismantling of a 747. I was kinda surprised at how much of the aircraft is broken down into usable spare parts before they actually tear it apart.
 #1507771  by sd80mac

SST wrote:Are they going to utilize any of it for spare parts? There was a program on the Smithsonian Channel last week and they showed the dismantling of a 747. I was kinda surprised at how much of the aircraft is broken down into usable spare parts before they actually tear it apart.
No idea, I just drove by. I stopped and took pics and get out... I had no time to have popcorn and pop to watch the show. Sorry. If I had time, I would ask...

These 3 units (2 units are sitting outside of this picture on right side on different track) had been sitting together with spacer car in between each unit for long time, probably bit over 1 year. (there were 2 of them on that line for more than year, probably 1 and half to 2 years, before 3rd unit joined with them) About 2 -3 months ago, they took this #4 out of that line and put it on this track solo... And it's day finally come...

I am pretty sure that LAL did tried to sell parts and didn't find any takers... Or LAL had took parts out already. (Edit - I can see that engine has been stripped... )
 #1507789  by lvrr325

Boy LA&L has a lousy track record for scrapping stuff that should have been preserved, is the ex-Despatch Shops unit going to be destroyed too?
 #1507794  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:Boy LA&L has a lousy track record for scrapping stuff that should have been preserved, is the ex-Despatch Shops unit going to be destroyed too?
Did they flat out refuse to save it, or did they say your offer was too low? How far short of the asking price were you?
 #1507831  by sd80mac

raise your offer... two others are still sitting....

For tomorrow am, I will see how much the guy had carved them out... Likely NOT much since last friday pm, unless he worked through weekend.

I will be swing by this place Monday late evening. I'll post the pics monday night or whenever I can. But I wont see it until Friday.
 #1507872  by C2629

I thought LA&L donated an RS1 to a local museum, that doesnt seem like a bad preservation record to me.
 #1507876  by sd80mac

I didn't went by the place this am. I had to take different route. I'll check it out this evening.
 #1507911  by Otto Vondrak

C2629 wrote:I thought LA&L donated an RS1 to a local museum, that doesnt seem like a bad preservation record to me.
Hear, hear... http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/lal20/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They've been very good to us.

-otto-
 #1507926  by Matt Langworthy

lvrr325 wrote:Boy LA&L has a lousy track record for scrapping stuff that should have been preserved, is the ex-Despatch Shops unit going to be destroyed too?
Lousy track record? The LA&L basically gave RS1 #20 the RGVRRM on a long-term loan, while the WNYP is currently using fromer TIOC/D&H RS3u #406.

Yes, the LA&L scrapped the 3 RS1 they got from TIOC... but none of them were in running condition. In fact, 2 of them
had been stripped of parts to keep TIOC RS1 #62 and S2 #14 running. The LA&L couldn't save #62 because an inept engineer had failed to open the radiator shutters on a hot day in 2011, so the prime mover overheated and seized.

It's also true the B&H scrapped the Alco C636s demonstrators, but their [prime movers had been ruined by freeze damage before arriving on the property.

I'm sad to see #4 go but let's be honest, does the B&H really need a 660 HP switcher at this point? Probably not, since they were able to run RS18u #416 on the rehabbed segment of the original B&H mainline when they reopened it a few years ago. I've seen #416 and the C424ms switching on the B&H and they seemed to handle it just fine. Parts 539 powered Alco units are also alot harder to get than the parts for Aclo 251 prime movers. IMO, I can see the day coming when Alco switchers are relegated to museums and excursions.

And for those of you who are complaining about the loss of the Alcos, where were you when the B&H waterfront yard was on the chopping block? I was one of the few railfans who actively tried to save it, so please spare me the tears when you weren't there to advocate for an excursion operation that could have given #4 a reason to exist.
 #1507946  by lvrr325

- C630 Demos
- C424 Demo/first built
- this unit

So they gave one away.