Railroad Forums 

• B&H 4 Scrapped

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1508858  by BR&P

NYCRRson wrote: How long did that white coat stay white, did you make it through the day without a grease/oil/dirt smudge ?
I guess we're pretty far from B&H #4 but you might enjoy this one anyway.

One cold February night in 1980 the Ontario Midland second trick crew was headed east toward Hannibal in a heavy snowstorm. Somewhere between Red Creek and their destination, in the middle of nowhere the engine derailed on an iced-up farm crossing. Although not off too bad, the engine could not back itself on. The crew was finally picked up and driven to Sodus, leaving old #36 idling away to prevent freeze damage.

The next day the track crew chipped the ice and snow away, and a local bulldozer was brought in with a stout cable to help. Around mid-day things were ready. When the signal was given, the bulldozer pulled and the engineer gave the loco a few notches of throttle.

Unfortunately that engine had Mahle pistons, which were fine as long as you worked the engine hard but they did not like to idle (plus the loco was quite a while out of its last rebuild). 36 had been sitting there about 12 hours in cold temps, and when awakened from its snooze it gave a pretty good imitation of the Spindletop oil gusher. The General Manager was standing in just the wrong spot, wearing a coat similar to mine, and before he knew what was happening, he looked like a Dalmatian!

The company wound up buying him a new coat! :P

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of B&H 4!
 #1509575  by danmeckstroth

I would like permission to use one pic of #4 being cut up for the Nickel Plate Road Historical and Technical Society monthly electronic newsletter that goes to members only. How should the credit be listed?

Also, what does B & H stand for?
I understand the engine was damaged in a switching accident which bent the frame. If that is the case, it had to be one heck of a bmp.
 #1509593  by Otto Vondrak

thebigham wrote:B&H #5 and LAL #14 may have been scrapped in Cohocton. Waiting for confirmation...
Do I have my units mixed up? I can't find a listing for LAL 14, but have LAL 15:

15 S2 73924 2/47 Ex-Tioga Central 14 < CR 9662< nee Buffalo Creek

Also, did we confirm B&H 5 was cut as well?

-otto-
 #1509632  by scottychaos

Otto,
The former Tioga Central No. 14 has always been referred to as LAL No.14, since it moved to Cohocton from Wellsboro four years ago. Never seen it called #15 anywhere before. (Just curious, where did you find a reference to #15?)

No, there has been no conformation that No. 14 or No. 5 have been cut. All photos here and on facebook have only shown No. 4 in pieces.

Scot
 #1509633  by scottychaos

I just googled it, and found a reference to LAL 15 on "the diesel shop"

https://www.thedieselshop.us/LAL.HTML" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It must be just a typo. ;) a mistake, because the locomotive itself has been saying all along that it is LAL 14, and it has never changed since it arrived in Cohocton.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/689215/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6QCL3N3g4wTAFzZG6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
 #1509909  by BR&P

danmeckstroth wrote: I understand the engine was damaged in a switching accident which bent the frame. If that is the case, it had to be one heck of a bmp.
Wrong NKP loco, you are thinking of 418, ex NKP 865
 #1511726  by BR&P

Looks like the former ONCT ballast car, still with faded "Amtrak" visible, in the second link Chris provided.
 #1511774  by BR&P

nydepot wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:02 am Welcome back, BR&P!
Thank you! I'm sure when all the dust settles, the site will be better than ever but during this transition they apparently have their hands full. Somehow I'm still not able to post in the thread about the passing of Noel Weaver, frustrating as I wanted to say a few kind words but between my own computer problems last month and the forum's growing pains, it still has not happened.

But re the Alcos, not only are those old girls getting well advanced in years, but also there is just less demand for switchers these days. The Class I's sure don't do the same amount of classification they used to, and far fewer industries do their own in-plant switching either. I hate the thought they might get cut up, but just how many locos can any given museum have?

Those old 539's were a fun engine to run, great for kicking cars, and looking at the photo in the link I can still hear in my mind the sound those two would be making if they were sitting there idling.
 #1512855  by sd80mac

what the heck happened to my photos in first page that clearly show #'s of these 3 locos...

#4 was scrapped
#5 and #14 are still in the same spot as of today...

oh well this darn website cant upload my photos...
 #1512879  by BR&P

sd80mac wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:52 pm
#5 and #14 are still in the same spot as of today.....
So whoever changed the title of this thread is spreading fake news....
 #1512926  by thebigham

You can add photos right to the thread.

click attachments.

click add files.

select photo from your computer

click 'place online'

click submit
100_0715.jpg
100_0715.jpg (94.9 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
 #1512937  by C2629

So what happened to the photos on this thread that had been posted ? I know I did not remove the photo that I posted of ONCT 14.