Railroad Forums 

• 2019 Spring Train Show Listing

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1493758  by lvrr325

Here's the calendar for 2019 for the winter-spring season.

As before, unconfirmed dates in red and are listed based on previous show dates. When they're confirmed I'll add additional posts to indicate so. I am a little surprised on a few of them they don't have info out, but the websites seem to be the last thing to get changed.

January:

Sunday 1/13 - Buffalo (West Seneca) - TCA Toy Train Show, Ismalia Shriners Temple
Sunday 1/20 – Utica – TTCS 38th annual Utica Train Show, Union Station
Sunday 1/27 - Buffalo - Trainorama, Pvt. Leonard Post, Walden Ave.
(Weekend 1/26-1/27 - Amherst Railway Society Hobby Show at the Big E in Springfield MA)

February:

Sunday 2/3 – Buffalo (Depew) – TTCS Buffalo Snowball Train Show, Polish Falcons
Sunday 2/10 - Fishkill - Fishkill Model Train and Railroad Hobby Show, Fishkill Rec Center
Weekend 2/16 – 2/17 – Buffalo (Hamburg) – WNYRHS Winter Train & Toy Show, Erie Co. Fairgrounds
Saturday 2/23 - Rochester - TCA Toy Train Show, Edgerton Community Center
Sunday 2/24 – Syracuse (Eastwood) – Syracuse Model Railroad Club annual show

March

Weekend 3/2-3/3 – Rochester – Greenberg Train Show, Dome Center
Sunday 3/3 - Scranton, PA - Scranton Train Show, Lackawanna Station Hotel
Saturday 3/9 - Binghamton - Greater Binghamton Regional Train Show
Sunday 3/10 - Syracuse (Camillus) - NRHS Spring Ahead Train Show, Camillus Fire Dept
Saturday 3/16 - Albany - Albany Train Show, Polish Community Center

Sunday 3/17 – Rochester – TTCS Rochester Shamrock Train Show, Eagle Club
Sunday 3/17 - Kingston - Kingston Model Train and Railroad Hobby Show, Murphy Midtown Center
Weekend 3/23-3/24 - Webster - W.A.S.P.S./FCTT Train Show (believe this is correct per FCTT flyer)
Sunday 3/31 - Batavia – GSME Great Batavia Train Show, Genesee Community College

April:

Sunday 4/7– Buffalo (N. Tonowanda) – TTCS Spring Into Summer show, Knights Of Columbus
Sunday 4/7 – Amsterdam – Alco T&HS Rails Along The Mohawk show, Riverfront Center
Weekend 4/27-4/28 – Lockport – TTCS/NOME Lockport Train Show, Keenan Center

Notes:

TTCS dates, Eastwood, Greenberg, Batavia verified by their website, WNYRHS by show contract, Trainorama, Amsterdam by flyer. WASPS date I picked up from a FCTT flyer but do not have it in front of me. TCA dates also per flyers.

Albany Show page not yet updated; Binghamton not yet updated; Kingston/Fishkill people have not updated their website since the spring. Normally the Albany Polish Home show is the same day as Binghamton, but the last time March had five weekends in it they moved it a week to avoid a conflict with Greenberg in Edison, NJ, as the promoters do that show. I listed it this year accordingly, as Edison is the 9th-10th.

I intend to do about eight of these shows. Maybe that Albany show too if it ends up the 16th.

It's interesting that each major market has it's own circle of vendors, some only do shows close to home, some will go up to about the same distance I do, 150-200 miles, and a few particularly with Greenberg will come a long ways in for events, from other states. So you never know what you'll find someone selling. Amsterdam last year had vendors from Massachusetts and down towards NYC in for one last event before summer.
 #1493934  by lvrr325

Minor correction, the March 17th TTCS show is at the new location, "Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport" which is actually on the east side of the RIT campus. I forgot to change it when I pasted from previous listings.
 #1494239  by sd80mac

I may be behind...

No more train show at Erie fairground in April or March?? I used to stop by there after tax filling in Buffalo area
 #1494310  by lvrr325

The WNYRHS shows in Hamburg at the Erie County Fairgrounds are typically the third weekend of November and the second or third weekend of February, next year the 15th and 16th of February and likely the 16th and 17th of November.

Which is when they've always been, perhaps you're thinking of the Rochester Greenberg show in March at the Dome Center which was always the first weekend in March, save the last few years after a hiatus and a stint at the iceplex which had it the first weekend in April.
 #1494382  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:The WNYRHS shows in Hamburg at the Erie County Fairgrounds are typically the third weekend of November and the second or third weekend of February, next year the 15th and 16th of February and likely the 16th and 17th of November.

Which is when they've always been, perhaps you're thinking of the Rochester Greenberg show in March at the Dome Center which was always the first weekend in March, save the last few years after a hiatus and a stint at the iceplex which had it the first weekend in April.
No, not in Rochester... my uncle is in buffalo area and I go to his house to do the tax stuffs in the am. Then I would head to Erie Fairground afterward. (at least 3 times in late 1900's and early 2000's. Maybe 3rd weekend of Feb would make sense... I stopped going to there when there were more venders bringing in junk stuffs that are not train related... Things may had changed since then.
 #1494533  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:... it is billed as a Train and Toy show.
Really didn't notice that... I looked up the list of events in back of Model Railroading issues back then.

Thanks for mention that.
 #1494641  by smph50

Hi Guys!

Maybe this link will help:

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/Images/s ... er219a.pdf

This will be our 28th "Winter Train Show and Toy Show." We added the "Toy Show" part in the late 90's to boost attendance. With the internet rapidly becoming a place to buy and sell anything, many younger model railroaders were skipping the shows and hobby stores and buying on line. We needed a way to draw in the entire family, not just Dad. Star Wars collectibles became hot again with a new movie due to be released in 1999 and Thomas and Friends were very popular. In short we had to be appealing to many collector genres. With the addition of other "toys," we saw a great increase of Moms with small children attending with Dad.

It may not seem like it, but the non railroad related tables account for only 20% - 30% of over 400 tables at the most. That means you will find almost 300 tables of railroad related merchandise. Hope you can attend in February.

Sincerely, Scott H.
 #1496658  by lvrr325

UPDATES:

Binghamton is now CONFIRMED for March 9th. Got the flyer in the mail Thursday.

Kingston has updated their page and the show is March 24th, not the 17th as I'd guessed. No other changes, same location and times.

There is NO Fishkill show for spring 2019, it's been cancelled.

The Albany Train Show is still going to be MARCH 9th, they did not move it a week. Per email to show promoter.

That should confirm and set all the shows for this season.
 #1497276  by SST

With the impending snow storm, I was curious what it takes to close or cancel a show. I was planning on going to Utica this weekend via Amrtrak again but with this weather I decided not to go. I'm guessing that my arrival train will arrive so late that I'll miss my train coming home.
Good luck to those who go.
 #1497293  by lvrr325

As of tonight it's on as scheduled.

The only cancel of a show I'm aware of due to weather was when Hamburg got walloped with 7 feet of snow in just a day or so, about four years ago November.

The problem of course is if you cancel, you're cancelled, most of the time you can't postpone to a later date both due to the venue may not be available again and due to other train shows, even if they're hours away some vendors may not be able to return. Plus you have to advertise all over again, rent tables again, etc.

I don't even know if I'm going, I will decide based on the weather Sunday morning.

I see Amtrak has altered their schedules for the weekend, per a report on the TV news, I didn't catch the details.
 #1498710  by thebigham

Anyone from NYS go to the HUGE Springfield show last weekend??

It was out of control crowded around 11am Saturday morning. I don't remember it being that crowded when I used to go in the early 2010s. Well, it was a sunny day so good weather for driving.

I ran into 3 people I knew from Western New York.