Railroad Forums 

• Concrete phone booth

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1484691  by mike157

My eyeballs are falling out from going over ancient posts. Wasn't there a, still existing, poured concrete ROW Phone Booth somewhere locally? Mike
 #1484725  by TB Diamond

Should "locally" refer to Caledonia, NY then yes, at least the last I knew (2016).
 #1484865  by sd80mac

There's one or used to be one in Campville on Southern Tier. Last time I saw it was in 2007. Googleearth in 10/2/2017 shows what appears to be roof, but no shade. In 2011, it's clearly shown with shade. In 2015, you can see the roof very clearly but tree blocked the shade.
 #1484874  by scottychaos

Two concrete booths along the road on Route 15B in Canaseraga NY.
Assumed to be Erie, since they are a mile from the Erie mainline, but I have not seen that confirmed.

google street view:
https://goo.gl/maps/N3ipDMYqZNy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
 #1484992  by NYCRRson

Along the old BR&P (B&O, now R&S) where it crosses Emerson Street in the City of Rochester there is such a phone booth. It is along the SE corner of the grade crossing (South of Emerson, East of the tracks). It was upright until maybe 2-5 years ago. Now it is on it's side and rolled a bit away from the ROW.

Look at 43deg 10' 24.95'' North, 77deg 39' 43.20'' West, the "Big Bird" in the sky took a picture right through the front door of it (of course that's redundant, it only has one door).

I bet someone thought they could haul it to a scrapper and make a fortune.... All they got was a stinking hernia......

Cheers, Kevin
 #1485011  by BR&P

One on the former LV a few miles down the freight main from VJ, rolled down into the ditch.
 #1485037  by sd80mac

If you use googleearth, you would able to tell it was 5-7 years ago. it appears to be standing in last photo 11/2011 (clearly shown standing in 5/11) and knocked down in next photo 9/13 with door up toward to sky. It was rolled to next side. Then it was rolled back to original position and has been in same spot since then, at least 4/16 (last clear photo) 9/17 was too fuzzy but seems to be in same spot.

NYCRRson wrote:Along the old BR&P (B&O, now R&S) where it crosses Emerson Street in the City of Rochester there is such a phone booth. It is along the SE corner of the grade crossing (South of Emerson, East of the tracks). It was upright until maybe 2-5 years ago. Now it is on it's side and rolled a bit away from the ROW.

Cheers, Kevin
 #1485042  by BR&P

Re B&O/BR&P Emerson Street booth: I can recall being in the crossing watchman shanty at Dewey Avenue in about 1960 or so. It was no longer in use but a couple kids I knew had popped the lock (and replaced it with one of their own! :P ). There was a B&O line phone in there and I remember hearing the crew ring for the Docks office (1 long, 1 short). The oldest kid took the earpiece off and held it so we could hear. The crew said they were finishing up at Emerson Street and would be headed down to the docks next. (obviously not a word-for-word quote, but that was the idea).

They likely would have been calling from that booth we're discussing.
 #1485208  by lvrr325

R&GV museum probably should get that B&O one, it could probably be winched onto a heavy equipment trailer easy enough. I doubt the R&S would care but I would do the legal side first and see if they'll donate it or sell it for a low price.
 #1485209  by NYCRRson

lvrr325 wrote:There's no scrap value in concrete.
You know that, and I know that, and the folks reading this blog know that, but believe it or not there is probably someone out there that thought they could make a quick buck stealing that thing and selling it.....

Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity..... And the universe may have limits..... (kudo's to old Al Einstein).

Cheers, Kevin.