Railroad Forums 

• 2018 Fall Train Show Schedule for Upstate New York

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1484404  by lvrr325

Well, it's just about that time of year again so I thought I'd get a start on this.

If it's in italics and RED it's not confirmed, just educated guess based on the weekend it's been in past years. Massena is a guess but I did see flyers for it somewhere, they don't have any online presence and none of the calendars and so forth that they use have been updated yet. Of the non-confirmed shows, Kingston and Fishkill, the Albany show at the Polish Center and the Norwich show all have websites that have yet to be updated. Norwich's also has a security certificate issue right now. Binghamton usually has something on Facebook via Village Train & Hobby.

Note that Binghamton last year wound up postponed to December due to conflicts with the building and then with the Norwich show, I put it in it's normal spot but who knows. I presume if it's not the date shown it will end up being Dec. 1 again since that's the soonest week there's no conflict.

The only change I see from last year otherwise is the TTCS Rochester show moves from the Eagle Club to the Radisson - billed as Rochester Airport, it's on or directly adjacent the RIT campus on Rt. 252. Sort of a junior RIT show I guess.

I took the TCS shows out entirely since nothing is updated anywhere save perhaps if you log into their site, usually there's a crawl you can see that advertises the next few shows but it's not updated either. I'm sure they'll insist on not really being serious, like the first weekend in December Syracuse show opposite two other shows so it only gets 5 vendors.

September -

9/8-9/9 - Clayton - Thousand Islands Model Train Show, Cerow Recreation Park Arena.
9/8-9/9 - Buffalo - Buffalo Central Terminal Train Show
9/22-9/23 - Massena - Train, Toy and Collectible Expo, Massena Arena

October -

10/14 - Buffalo (Depew) - TTCS Buffalo Falling Leaves Train Show, Polish Falcons
10/21 - Olean - TTCS Autumn In The Southern Tier Train Show, Olean Intermediate-Middle School
10/27 - Port Jervis - Tri-States Railway Preservation Society Annual Show, Port Jervis High School
10/28 - Kingston - Kingston Model Train & Hobby Show, Murphy Midtown Center
10/28 - Scranton, PA - 69th Scranton Model Train Show, Lackawanna Station Hotel

Port Jervis is semi-confirmed, website notes 4th Saturday every year but conveniently leaves the date off, I guess so they don't have to update it.

November -

11/3-11/4 - Syracuse - CNY NRHS Great New York State Model Train Fair, NYS Fairgrounds Center of Progress
11/10-11/11 - Fulton - Oswego Valley Model Railroad Club annual show, Fulton War Memorial
11/10 - Binghamton - Binghamton Regional Train Show
11/11 - Batavia - Great Batavia Train Show, Genesee Community College
11/11 - Poughkeepsie - Hyde Park Station 47th Annual Train & Hobby Show, Mid Hudson Civic Center
11/17 - Albany - Albany Train Show, Polish Community Center
11/17-11/18 - Hamburg - WNYRHS 36th Greater Buffalo Train & Toy Show, Erie County Fairgrounds
11/24 - Norwich - Bull Thistle Model Railroad Society Annual Train Show, Broad Street Methodist Church
11/25 - Rochester - TTCS Rochester Thanksgiving Train Show, Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport (NEW Location)

December -

12/2 - Albany - Great Train Extravaganza, Empire Expo Center
12/2 - N. Tonowanda - TTCS Trains In The Tonwandas show, Knights Of Columbus
12/8-12/9 - Rochester - 12th Annual RIT Tiger Tracks Train Show, Gordon Field House
12/9 - S. Glens Falls - Upstate Railroad Modelers Train Show
 #1485529  by lvrr325

Binghamton is now confirmed for Saturday November 10th. Got their flyer in the mail today.

I see some chatter on Facebook that BCT had fewer vendors and a smaller crowd than previous years, although no one had any hard numbers. They said it was mostly Lionel and not many with HO, but that reflects the market out there.

The non-train event I went to had a high attendance and I did very well, up from last year and nearly triple two years ago. Hopefully that's a trend that continues.

Virtually all weekend shows trend heavier Saturday unless the weather is bad. Once in a while I sell more on a Sunday but it's rare.
 #1487286  by Railroaded

Here’s my short list so far:

Oct. 14th Polish Falcon Club, Depew

Nov. 17th & 18th, Fairgrounds event center, Hamburg

What else am I missing?
 #1487291  by scottychaos

RIT Tiger Tracks Train Show & Sale, Rochester.
Saturday, December 8, 2018 – 10:00am – 4:00pm
Sunday, December 9, 2018 – 10:00am – 4:00pm
https://www.rit.edu/ritmrc/tigertracks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
 #1487370  by lvrr325

Just bumping this up to remind people the thread exists.

I still have no official word from Kingston but I have to presume given not even a website update that it's correct to say it's cancelled.

I can however confirm the Albany Train Show on November 17th, their website has been updated.

The TCA (incorrectly noted as TCS in the initial post) still has not updated their crawl for any shows; as I am not a member I can't see their full schedule page. If they don't care I see no reason to either.
 #1488722  by thebigham

Olean: Sunday, Oct. 21

AUTUMN In The Southern Tier
Train Show

October 21, 2018

Olean Intermediate-Middle School
401 Wayne St.
Olean, NY 14760

Off Route 86, Exit 25

Public Hours 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Chairmen:
Paul Hessney 716-244-7571
E-Mail: [email protected]
Russ Allen 585-593-3109
E-Mail: [email protected]
 #1489064  by lvrr325

I got an update from the TCA.

Their website guy quit.

They tell me they're doing a Horseheads show... opposite Hamburg. That might be okay for them though, they can draw from the Tier vendors and the crowd won't conflict.

A Syracuse show... the same weekend as always opposite GTE and a TTCS show in Buffalo. So that's going to be the same as it's been, maybe half a dozen vendors. The rent must be cheap to keep doing that.

And the next show after that is in February so I'll save it for the 2019 thread - but it's at least not opposite anything I'm aware of so far, it should be the week after Hamburg and the day before the Syracuse Model RR Club show.
 #1489789  by lvrr325

For me anyhow, the season really kicks off with the big CNYNRHS Model Train Fair in Syracuse, this weekend. I have more stuff than I can possibly fit on a table with picking up parts of two estates in the last month.

They're back to the Center of Progress building this year and have been sold out for a couple months.

Saturday 10-5, Sunday 10-4; adults (16-up) $10, under 16 free

Website - http://www.modeltrainfair.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After this there's a show somewhere every weekend through at least the second weekend of December.
 #1490146  by lvrr325

I didn't hear them announce attendance but my sales were more than twice last year, and now with 9 years of results in one book I found I was slightly above average overall. They had the aisles spaced out wide - state regs I believe - so it was hard to gauge crowd size. Even when it was busiest there was room to move around.
 #1490154  by charlie6017

lvrr325 wrote:I didn't hear them announce attendance but my sales were more than twice last year, and now with 9 years of results in one book I found I was slightly above average overall. They had the aisles spaced out wide - state regs I believe - so it was hard to gauge crowd size. Even when it was busiest there was room to move around.
I was there early Saturday afternoon, it was pretty busy when my son and I were there -- it was pouring outside. Grabbed a couple books
from one of my "go-to" vendors there (M&K Hobbies). I think I may have seen you walking (maroon cap?) but we were heading out the door
and I wasn't 100% sure it was you. My son was chomping at the bit to get to Destiny mall. :P

Charlie