Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Derailment in Deposit - 8/9/18

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1482381  by thebigham

More bad luck for the NYS&W.

Heavy rainfall caused a culvert to collapse as the engines went across it. Much like the NS derailment in Attica...

Articles here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=NYS%26W ... e&ie=UTF-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3 pics here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=NYS%26W ... 24&bih=631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1482431  by tree68

I saw drone video, too, but now I can't find it.
 #1482441  by airman00

By the looks of those pics it seems like one or even two of the Susie-Q’s “new” SD60’s might be toast. If so, HUGE loss for the railroad!
 #1482453  by lvrr325

One needs a new long hood end and radiators, and whatever else is in that end. Might be an SD33ECO rebuild candidate. Was hard to see on the 3800 other than the nose is punched in, if it has similar damage on the long end.

I would presume they'll long term borrow a couple units from NS or CSX, or lease something, to make up for it.
 #1482464  by sd80mac

airman00 wrote:By the looks of those pics it seems like one or even two of the Susie-Q’s “new” SD60’s might be toast. If so, HUGE loss for the railroad!
These engines are on lease. Lease company will get them another engines...
 #1482481  by pumpers

First Syracuse, then the Little Ferry/Overpeck Creek bridge, and now this - all in a couple of weeks. The Susquehanna is really taking it on the chin. They must be afraid to answer the phone every time it rings in case it is more bad news. At least no one has been hurt in all of this.
 #1482486  by Matt Langworthy

airman00 wrote:By the looks of those pics it seems like one or even two of the Susie-Q’s “new” SD60’s might be toast. If so, HUGE loss for the railroad!
NYSW probably has insurance for the engines, regardless of whether they are leased or owned.
 #1482754  by sd80mac

Matt Langworthy wrote:
NYSW probably has insurance for the engines, regardless of whether they are leased or owned.
Right, they got to pay the leaser for the damaged ones, obviously. But I wouldn't see this as NYSW's huge loss..
 #1483335  by lvrr325

Per Facebook NYS&W is leasing at least two CSX SD60Ms to make up for the damaged units. Pretty much what I expected since they already lease four axle power.