Railroad Forums 

• LV Boxcar 62300 - Victor, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1467906  by BR&P

Technically this is a "for sale" post, but given the interest in the Lehigh Valley I'm hoping the mods are OK with it.

Have a 40' boxcar, LV 62300, which needs a good home. Located in Victor NY, track is accessible by FGLK although any arrangements would have to be made by the buyer. Could also be lifted by a large wrecker such as used for a semi. Car is not legal for interchange under AAR rules. Weight is just about 23 tons. Scrap price (as of this morning's quote) would be about $5,000. $4,000 and it's yours. No, I don't need a tax write-off, but if you do, all the better! There are probably a dozen museums in the state which have LV equipment, this would make a nice companion and would provide storage space as well. Hopefully somebody will be able to preserve it. (also have a 50' former reefer, on roller bearing trucks if you want to start your own photo-freight! :wink: )
LV 62300 - Copy.JPG
LV 62300 - Copy.JPG (431.18 KiB) Viewed 8845 times
 #1468005  by mkirsch

Scrap's north of $200 a ton? I gotta get the dump trailer out.

Where in Victor? I work just down the road and go through there frequently, though only on 96. Never get off on the side streets.

*EDIT* I think I see it on google maps, on that spur near Victor Insulator. No street access. Darn.

Sorry, just a lookie-loo here. Not kicking the tires because that would hurt something awful.
 #1468011  by BR&P

Yes, it's fenced/gated in. And I suggest steel-toes boots if you're going to kick the tires! :-D

Short steel yesterday was $255 a long ton, which works out to ballpark $227 for us who think in terms of 2000 lb tons. Like I said, I don't WANT to go the scrap route with it, but if it comes to that......
 #1468061  by C2629

If you get the scrappers out there to cut it up, theres also an old LV cab out there someplace. Might as well
have the scrappers cut that up too. That would make their trip more worthwhile. 🤪
 #1468069  by BR&P

C2629 wrote:If you get the scrappers out there to cut it up, theres also an old LV cab out there someplace. Might as well
have the scrappers cut that up too. That would make their trip more worthwhile. 🤪
You trying to give him a heart attack? Image

Would make more sense to scrap the wooden BR&P caboose but I'm hoping to avoid that.
 #1468132  by MACTRAXX

BR&P (and Everyone:)

Interesting post concerning this available boxcar...Was this an actual former LV car or one that is
painted to resemble one? The price of $4000 seems reasonable but depending on how far it would
need to go from Victor, NY it may cost more then the car itself to move it to a new home.

What is the deadline that the car has until it will be offered to a scrapper?

Here is an example of something the Railroad Museum of Long Island did back in November 2015
when they searched for a vintage boxcar for their Greenport site and then found one in Wellsboro,
PA on the Wellsboro & Corning: American Colloid #759 (in a PRR color scheme for a photo shoot).
RMLI had a benefactor that donated the money to purchase this car and move it to Long Island.

Long Island Preservation News - Page 20 - scroll down to 10th post from n2qhvRMLI - Don Fisher,
President of RMLI - that includes seven photos of the placement of the car in Greenport:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=24417&start=285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The post date was November 6, 2015

In this case we need to spread the word that this boxcar is available for a reasonable amount of
money but that time may be of the essence and that an effort to preserve this car can not wait.

This should be added to the LV Forum in the Fallen Flags section as a start. Other LV historical
organizations should be made aware of this car and that it is available. I read someplace that
there is an upcoming LV history meet in Shortsville, New York which could be one of the best
venues possible to help get this car moved and preserved someplace. (Saturday 4/21-4pm)

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1468140  by BR&P

Maxctraxx

That is the original LV number of the car. It was one of 5 cars sold to the grain dealer in Manchester in...the 1960's?'...and used for grain storage. I believe at one time the car was assigned to a pool and renumbered 8109 (I think) but it is certain that the "born with" number was 62300.

In 1988 the car was sold by the grain dealer, and was used by ONCT as a Maintenance of Way and parts storage car. It traveled the length of the ONCT countless times in work-train service. When FGLK took over ONCT in 2007, the equipment not actually owned by the railroad was parked at Victor. The boxcar was parked next to an LV caboose owned by an ex ONCT employee, and he eventually painted it back close to its original look for use in staged pics. (the car has not moved in several years, but he has done some amazing photography making it and the caboose appear to be bringing up the rear of a passing freight).

At this moment there is no drop-dead deadline for scrapping the car. Eventually the equipment needs to leave the property it is stored on, and it's better to start efforts now instead of potentially getting 30-day notice and being forced to take drastic action. On the other hand, with the price of metal high right now it does present a temptation. It's a shame to see anything cut up instead of preserved, especially in decent condition. It "deserves" to be preserved and appreciated. But cold green cash is something few of us can turn our backs on.

I hesitated to cross-post this on LV forum and Pennsylvania Railfan section (where other LV preservation is found as well) because I want to respect the forum's rules and don't want to turn these pages into a big want-ads. If the mods or admins have no objection, that's fine with me, the more exposure it gets, the better the chance it will find a home.

Thank you for the interest!
 #1468205  by MACTRAXX

BR&P: You are welcome and thanks for the reply.

Interesting background about this boxcar in that it indeed was a LV car and not "masquerading" as
a PRR car such as the American Colloid boxcar that RMLI bought from the W&C. This is still a nice
car that goes well with the RMLI Greenport display and the LIRR's Pennsy heritage.

We can thank LVRR325 for posting information about the 42nd annual LVRRHS Memorial Night
in Shortsville, NY on Saturday April 21 commencing at 4:00pm along with the train show listings.

This would be the best place to put out word that this LV boxcar is available for sale - and then
perhaps effort can be made to find a new home someplace for this car to preserve and save it.
On further thought this may be the most appropriate place of all for a former LV boxcar to go...

There is also an LVRRHS meeting in Shortsville on Sunday April 15th at 3:00 PM.

http://www.lvrrhs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I realize that this is short notice of one/two weeks but if this brings inquiry about the boxcar
and best yet helps find a new venue for its preservation it is all worth while. :-D MACTRAXX
 #1468244  by scottychaos

I have told the Sayre Historical Society that the car is for sale.
they have a LV caboose next to the Sayre station.
I dont know if they are looking for additional rolling stock or not, but at least they now know about it.

Scot
 #1468248  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:Have a 40' boxcar, LV 62300, which needs a good home. Located in Victor NY, track is accessible by FGLK although any arrangements would have to be made by the buyer. Could also be lifted by a large wrecker such as used for a semi. Car is not legal for interchange under AAR rules. Weight is just about 23 tons. Scrap price (as of this morning's quote) would be about $5,000. $4,000 and it's yours.
Don, I sent you an email.

-otto-
 #1468293  by lvrr325

I put in an inquiry to find out if the railroad is willing to move the car, since that makes the most sense. I didn't see any sense in anything beyond that until I hear back from them. But there should be room on the siding at Martisco. If someone can truck it out of there and it go to say R&GV, that's fine too.

I recall looking at those cars ~1992-ish and seeing 1975 stencils on the brake gear, though who knows if that meant anything.
 #1468299  by BR&P

Thanks! Image Martisco and Industry both have LV cabooses I think so it would be in good company either place.
 #1468300  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:Thanks! Image Martisco and Industry both have LV cabooses I think so it would be in good company either place.
If RGV were to pursue this item, are there fans on this list interested in contributing financial support to the project? It's within our reach and it would be nice to move the boxcar to an *operating* environment.

-otto-
 #1468330  by scottychaos

Otto Vondrak wrote:
BR&P wrote:Thanks! Image Martisco and Industry both have LV cabooses I think so it would be in good company either place.
If RGV were to pursue this item, are there fans on this list interested in contributing financial support to the project? It's within our reach and it would be nice to move the boxcar to an *operating* environment.

-otto-
I will definately donate to the cause.
Scot