• NYC caboose near Rome/Verona - can anybody get a number?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

Came across this wooden NYC caboose used as a cabin, as shown in an on-line ad for the property. It is just off the west side of Rt 60A, just north of Pools Brook. Google Maps shows it as 7131 Stony Creek Road Rome, while it's also listed as Verona. If anybody feels like some sleuthing, a look at the underframe should hopefully show the number on the center sill. Would probably be a good idea to ask permission first to avoid getting shot! :wink:

Street view, looking south: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Veron ... 75.5706945" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ad for the property: http://tinyhousetalk.com/270-sq-ft-tiny ... res-in-ny/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photo of caboose:
Train-Caboose-Hunting-Cabin-in-Verona NY-002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BR&P

Cactus Jack wrote:Could it be the 19068 that was at Rail City ?
NYC cab at Rail City was 19086, altho I think I heard they had more than one. (can anyone confirm/refute that?). Not impossible that's where it wound up, it would not have been an extremely long journey.
  by Cactus Jack

I might have gotten confused or gotten dyslexic about the number, just a guess of what was possible and out there.
  by sd80mac

From Bob Groman -

Email #1 - "It looks like ours. I'll have to do some comparison but I was under the impression it went to that area."

Email #2 - "I think it is the one from Rail City. The photo is not too clear but it appears to have similarities"
  by BR&P

Several more pics on that link to the property ad if they help.

Hey Ken, does he see some distinguishing feature that indicates that is THE caboose they had, or just that it looks like an NYC in general?
  by hojack

No that isn't the rail city caboose. My father knew the owner of the property and I remember visiting the caboose over 40 years ago. The guy who owned the property and bought the caboose as a camp, was named Harry Jenney if my fading memory serves me correctly. His story was..... He Went to Utica and approached the railroad about buying a caboose for a camp. They apparently had a white lined ( out of service ) caboose and the guy he was talking to was willing to part with it. But, they wouldn't let the trucks and brake rigging go as part of the deal. I suspect that went to the scrap yard and who can guess who they paid for that. I doubt the railroad entered that transaction on the balance sheet. Harry went to the yard to pay the "railroad" for the caboose after he trucked it to where it sits today. His story was, the cost of the transaction was three bottles of whiskey. I just hope it was real good whiskey and not the crap that my railroad affiliates drank. Something better than Wilson's ! This is as true as I can relate to you. And as they used to say, I was there!
  by BR&P

Great information, thanks for posting that! And it's amazing how much used to be done off the books. A fifth of scotch here, a box of cigars over there....

Probably too much to hope for that somebody has pics of the caboose when it first arrived, with a number showing.
  by hojack

I think I have a pic of it. But I think He painted the whole thing caboose red and covered the NYC logo and number. If I can find it and scan it, I try and post it. Took it with my Kodak Instamatic 104 Camera which came in the bright yellow Christmas box Those were the first cameras with the 35 mm film cartridges with 12 or 24 pics and you took them to your friendly Kodak dealer for processing, or developed them yourself.
  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:Several more pics on that link to the property ad if they help.

Hey Ken, does he see some distinguishing feature that indicates that is THE caboose they had, or just that it looks like an NYC in general?
Hes looking up for nbr when he get home. I should know the answer tmw...
  by BR&P

Well, we know the Rail City NYC caboose is 19086. (unless they had two). And Hojack states above the one near Rome is NOT from Rail City. So that one we don't have an ID on, and the rail City one we don't have a destination for after it was sold.
  by lvrr325

at least one at Rail City fell apart or was so rough it was used for parts, some of it going into the one at the Fairgrounds. There may still be a frame there, chapter was supposed to get it, never moved it.

Combine that with this one and you have something.