Railroad Forums 

• Eastman Kodak #10 caboose

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1467485  by BR&P

NYC 19969. Last I know it was displayed in the Southern Tier near Canaseraga but may have been moved again. I thought it was a definite, but my notes have a "?" so I'll say "almost positive". If I recall right, that was the number of the Kodak cab but I was not 100% sure the caboose on display was from Kodak.
 #1467512  by nydepot

Interesting. The body looks the same but the EK caboose had no cupola. The Canaseraga caboose has one, unless it was grafted from something else. It's a credible NYC cupola.

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-19969.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (no cupola and rebuilt siding)

Canaseraga has the cupola and wooden siding back. Maybe restored?
 #1467537  by BR&P

Charles, the 19969 certainly had no cupola, and IIRC was plywood-sheathed over the old siding. It's possible we have 2 different cabooses, and also possible someone restored the caboose to proper historical appearance.

I thought I had a pic of that caboose as EK 10 but can't seem to find it. Here's one off the internet as it is now apparently. The photo is ID'd as 19969 which was the EK cab. And note the hand brake has been converted to a geared type, with the wheel facing outward. Should be easy to compare, and see if Kodak did the same to theirs.
Unknown Canaseraga NY.jpg
Unknown Canaseraga NY.jpg (156.27 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
 #1467551  by BR&P

What's the date and location on that photo? Appears to be on active NYC/PC based on transfer cab behind.

Note the cupola is NOT the original NYC. Not too bad for a replacement, but not real by any means. I think that could be the same cab.
 #1467598  by jr

The caboose that went to Canaseraga did not have a cupola at the time. It was added by that owner circa late 80s / early 90s. He was a prominent member of the PS&N group, as I recall.

My (vague) recollection was that the car had been in or near OMID territory, prior to Canaseraga. It had been owned by a woman who wished to dispose of it. She definitely had been a passenger on one of the OMID / NRHS excursions, and asked if we knew anybody who wanted to buy the car. We had secondhand information about the Canaseraga party, and helped make the connection.

JR