Railroad Forums 

• Attica NS derailment 2/15/18

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1461761  by ctclark1

Farmer Joe wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they get one track open tomorrow.
I know crews can work quickly, but I'd have a hard time seeing them getting it open tomorrow. Given the images I've seen, I'm guessing both tracks are destroyed at this point. Maybe I'm just not optimistic enough, but between clearing the wreck and then reconstructing the track bed and relaying the rail, I'd guess at least Saturday before I hear a train at the Exchange crossing... I don't even know if they've cleared the remainder of the train that was still on the track, I haven't heard a power move come through on Exchange yet either.

I'm just saying, you wouldn't be surprised, I would be.
 #1461762  by charlie6017

Farmer Joe wrote:Oops! Posted too late, Charlie! LOL! I gotta be quicker with responses!
Haha! It was fun for me to type that out, hoping there would be some traffic via Meadville but it makes the most
sense to run via Sunbury and Pittsburgh. We can still dream, can't we? :-D

Charlie
 #1461772  by KevinD

The photos off the Video News Service link are very telling. The second unit (9274?) is on its side, cab intact but radiator demolished, bent frame just aft the fuel tank, trucks appear to be off both units, an autorack is upright and crossways and sitting way lower than the track structure, and in another photo there are ties with no ballast around them.
Last edited by KevinD on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1461786  by ctclark1

One more update before I go to bed. http://videonewsservice.net/index.php/2 ... o-injured/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attica Fire Chief Jay Myers reports, “Two engines and approximately ten railroad cars derailed of the Norfolk Southern Railroad. The railroad cars were carrying new cars as cargo.”

Norfolk Southern personnel are on scene and making efforts to clear the Route 238 and East Main Road intersections with an estimated time of 10:00 p.m.

The long term cleanup of the damaged engines and rail cars will be days.
I did hear what I presume was the removal of the remaining train that was still on the rails a little while ago, engine coming in slow blowing for Exchange & Favor Streets, and then some more a little while later going back out.
 #1461837  by clearblock

New photos of scene from John Kucko:
https://www.facebook.com/JohnKuckoDigit ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/JohnKuckoDigit ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#1461866  by oibu

This is going to take a while, that whole fill that collapsed is going to need to be rebuilt and stabilized. Along with any underlying drainage/culvert/subgrade issues that may need to be corrected either as the underlying causes or results of this. And that won't even begin until the recovery is done. Maybe a week to get trains moving again, IF they hurry things and IF no major additional underlying issues are found. One would think that they would, or would be required, to also do a thorough structural/geotechnical evaluation of the structural integrity of that entire fill from end to end before moving a train on it- that will take some time and may result in further corrective work before traffic can resume.

A track patrol and/or proactive speed restriction based on conditions likely could have prevented or at least minimized this, if it was in fact a washout, culvert failure, or loss of fill integrity as would -appear- to be the case. Time will tell.

Just one civil engineer's "windshield survey" quick take on this based on nothing but photos and news reports. YMMV.
 #1461876  by 161pw165

oibu wrote:This is going to take a while, that whole fill that collapsed is going to need to be rebuilt and stabilized. Along with any underlying drainage/culvert/subgrade issues that may need to be corrected either as the underlying causes or results of this. And that won't even begin until the recovery is done. Maybe a week to get trains moving again, IF they hurry things and IF no major additional underlying issues are found. One would think that they would, or would be required, to also do a thorough structural/geotechnical evaluation of the structural integrity of that entire fill from end to end before moving a train on it- that will take some time and may result in further corrective work before traffic can resume.

A track patrol and/or proactive speed restriction based on conditions likely could have prevented or at least minimized this, if it was in fact a washout, culvert failure, or loss of fill integrity as would -appear- to be the case. Time will tell.

Just one civil engineer's "windshield survey" quick take on this based on nothing but photos and news reports. YMMV.
From reports, multiple trains went over this area during the day and before the collapse. Also reported that they anticipate to have the track be in service tomorrow; though I tend to doubt it. Lot of heavy work to be done. Amazing they were able to get that much heavy equipment on site in 12 hours or so.