Railroad Forums 

• Batten Kill Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1444620  by Benjamin Maggi

Not usually. I believe they normally run on Mondays (or is it Tuesdays)? Sometime early in the week, though if needed they may run later. Call the main office and ask them. I did several years ago and they were very friendly.

This other thread may help:
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=66282&hilit=batten+kill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1444638  by Dick H

There are three Battenkill Railroad Facebook Pages.
None appear to give current information.
Do you have a link??

DH.
 #1496232  by Tracer

Can someone give me a quick brief on the line? Trying to follow it on google earth, looks like maybe 1 customer(feed place)? I also saw what looked like a ton of car storage all the way to the Hudson River.
 #1496306  by ericofmaine

I believe its two, Cargill at Greenwich Jct inside the wye and Agway just west of the wye. I may have those reversed. The engine house is in Greenwich proper. The tracks do go all the way west to the Hudson at Thompson, the site of an old paper mill. They had been storing some trash car spines out that way a couple of years ago. Actually had to borrow an engine from Pan Am to get them all out.

As for the rest of the line, it only goes north to Salem although I think there's a washout just north of the Route 22 crossing. South goes to the Pan Am interchange at Eagle Bridge. There's nothing in between.

Eric
 #1496409  by thebigham

Pan Am engine on the BKRR:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=221372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An unexpected BKRR surprise on many levels... 1. A Saturday move, 2. No pumpkin colored 1950's ALCO's, 3. Borrowed 6-Axle power in the form of MEC #615 on light rail 4. Fireman video taping the move + experience + railfan = ALL good!

Photographed by Brian Siegel, December 27, 2014.
 #1496494  by newpylong

ericofmaine wrote:I believe its two, Cargill at Greenwich Jct inside the wye and Agway just west of the wye. I may have those reversed. The engine house is in Greenwich proper. The tracks do go all the way west to the Hudson at Thompson, the site of an old paper mill. They had been storing some trash car spines out that way a couple of years ago. Actually had to borrow an engine from Pan Am to get them all out.

As for the rest of the line, it only goes north to Salem although I think there's a washout just north of the Route 22 crossing. South goes to the Pan Am interchange at Eagle Bridge. There's nothing in between.

Eric
Agway was bought by Cargill, that's west of the junction. Carovail is at the junction. Those are the only two that I know of.

They also used to unload or load single boxcars at two locations I believe were Center Falls (just east of Greenwich) and out by Thompson. That went away more than a decade ago. They've also loaded logs on occasion
 #1540082  by NHV 669

Not much for activity via this forum, but the Battenkill has had an interesting 2020 so far, taking on several storage opportunities for other railroad power, mostly former assets of the defunct Saratoga & North Creek. Over the winter, they brought in the BL2's, and in early February took storage of SNEX 5012, an RS-36 painted in a D&H style scheme (despite never operating for them) lettered for the Southern New England Railroad, a private leasor.

The ability to operate the unit was apparently part of the agreement, as it came south led by 4116 running light engine on 4/15 to pick up 20 loads for their run north. Power was split at Cambridge, where 4116 held the siding and took empties south back to Eagle Bridge. The 5012 continued north solo with the 20 loads and did the plant switching on 4/16. The BKRR is also storing two E8's that came off the S&NC, and 4116 is currently sitting waiting to pull them north from EB.

Here is a shot of them coming through Cambridge, taken by Steve Koop Angelicola: https://www.railpictures.net/photo/733080

And a shot the next day of the 5012 after switching, taken by Tim Stockwell: https://www.railpictures.net/photo/733215/