• Massena tips?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

I found these:

160.65000 - CSX
161.07000 - CSX
160.50000 - MTR

CSX was listed as the same freqs above and below Massena.
  by lvrr325

161.070 always was the frequency for up here, the second one was added when they went to putting dispatch to train on a different frequency. Like, there is/was an abandoned control box near mile marker 293 on the mainline that has that freq written out and labeled "St. Lawrence Division" which is what New York Central called it.
  by tree68

Conrail used 160.800 on the Montreal Secondary for a while. That's still used as a "channel two" by the locals if they want to avoid interfering with mainline traffic.

The main frequency used on the Chicago Line is 160.800
  by lvrr325

Conrail had four primary channels, 160.800 was 1, 161.070 is two, been too long since I programmed a scanner to remember the others but one was used for Dewitt yard and the last was used more for MOW up here. IIRC it was the main channel for the River Line though.
  by clearblock

nydepot wrote:I found these:

160.65000 - CSX
161.07000 - CSX
160.50000 - MTR

CSX was listed as the same freqs above and below Massena.
160.650 is the Dispatcher Channel for the St Lawrence Sub
161.070 is the Road channel for the St Lawrence Sub as stated.

Use of 160.800 would probably be on an informal basis. This is common in many areas to use the Road channel for a different Sub for local switching to avoid tying up the local Road Channel. Rochester crews used to use 160.860 when switching Russell Station. The former Conrail systemwide channels were 160.800, 161.070, 160.860 and 160.980.
  by tree68

If the crew and the DS are talking on the road channel you may hear the DS tell the crew go over to "36," referring to the AAR channel. I've also heard the DS refer to it as "my channel."

When I worked at the Fort, the crews would occasionally go over to 160.800 for switching.
  by nydepot

I saw no daytime action. I did see the southbound tie down at Main St (just north of the crossing) on Saturday night. A unit I assumed for locals was tied down at the yard office the whole time and never moved. There was a train sitting northbound at Main St. Saturday evening but it eventually settled back in the yard out of view and turned off its light.

No action on the MTR. I checked out the NY&O at Norfolk too.

I did hear talk about an OCS Saturday evening but never made out where it was.

Thanks for all the tips.

Charles
  by Leo_Ames

I didn't think you'd have much luck. I grew up in this area, and would never think to actively go out railfanning. Just not the traffic for it.

If you're a local, you just keep your eyes and ears open and take advantage when it works out and you're out at the same time you hear a train, and perhaps give chase for a while to catch it at a few different spots (Not so easy to overtake them these days though now that the track is in good shape).
  by RussNelson

Leo_Ames wrote:and perhaps give chase for a while to catch it at a few different spots (Not so easy to overtake them these days though now that the track is in good shape).
I was on a bike ride and stopped in Norfolk at the town museum. Heard a New York & Ogdensburg train headed south. Hopped on my bicycle, pedalled furiously, and made it to Norwood before them. :-)

Trainspotting by bicycle. It. Can. Be. Done.
  by pumpers

How does that old intro superman in the movies go ?? "Stronger than a _______, faster than a speeding (Massena) locomotive , ...."