Railroad Forums 

• Outlaw speeders from 40 years ago

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1421323  by sd80mac

Now after one of these state police troopers see these picture, they might want to set up check point and wait for you to show up and hoping to give you series of sobriety tests... :P
 #1421396  by BR&P

sd80mac wrote:Now after one of these state police troopers see these picture, they might want to set up check point and wait for you to show up and hoping to give you series of sobriety tests... :P
Considering all this was from the 1970's, I would hope they have more pressing issues to address! :wink:

Actually, most of the A.S.S. expeditions were "dry". The Adirondack weekends were the only place I recall any "Rule G" violations. But there were a few memorable trips there. At Tupper Lake there was the Faust Hotel, and I think another establishment, fairly near the tracks. Charlie's at Lake Clear Jct. I can't remember any place in Saranac, but at Lake Placid there was.....The Handlebar??.....and another place? Anyway, anybody who might claim the railroad did not bring in any $ to the local economy wasn't along on THOSE trips! We did our best to be impartial and visit them all.

I wish I had the departure time from Tupper Lake, and the arrival time at Beaver River, on one such trip. The rest of the group was long gone when we set out southward. The little Fairmont was wide open the whole way, except for a few dirt crossings and one stop for....well, you know. I vividly recall a deer running across the tracks about 20 feet in front of the speeder, and in my mind I can still hear the mad hammering of the rail joints, the singing of the wheels and the rush of the wind.

Again, with the passing of many years, such activities seem less and less wise. I would not repeat them today and would not encourage anyone else to do so either. It would be way too easy for someone to be hurt or killed. We were lucky. But for better or worse, that's the way it was.
 #1512166  by BR&P

The pics just disappeared within the last few weeks when the site was revamped, and I know they are still having problems. I suppose there are 3 options, and we'll take them in order -

1. Wait a bit and give the gurus time to de-bug the system
2. Maybe it would be possible to allow me to edit my old posts, and I can re-enter the pics
3. If that does not work, I DO still have the pics and could possibly make a new post and include at least some of the old ones.

By the way, in a post above I mentioned that I have home movies of a couple to the trips. Well, I found my box of movies and looked at the labeling on the boxes and was amazed at how many of them say "Speeders on ____ line". So I got out the projector to see whether the color and images are still decent. But the projector was dead as a mackerel, would not turn. Some on-line research shows that type of projector is known for that malfunction, and it involves serious disassembly including drilling out several rivets and then re-riveting after all the other work is done.

So I guess those movies will remain unseen for a while longer. :(
 #1512168  by BR&P

Fireman's post prompted me to get out the box of movies. These are the small reels about 3" in diameter. I THINK they each have about 3 minutes running time but correct me if that's wrong. And most of the reels with speeders also have some other scenes, either other railroad stuff or non-rail family pics. But among the penciled labels are

Speeder trip west Hojack
Speeder on Adirondack
Speeders - Spring 1979
Speeders on Adirondack Division
Speeders - Adirondack and Hojack
Beaver River (this was the station on the Adirondack where the lodge is, our base of operations)
Speeders on Adirondack 9-23-78 (Deer)

And as a test to be sure the new forum format will still accommodate those old pics, here's the group's illuminated sign:
A.S.S. Sign.jpg
A.S.S. Sign.jpg (169.31 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
 #1512185  by Fireman43

thanks - I'll keep an eye out for the pictures - fingers crossed.
I was especially interested in the Hojack pics - I know ( or knew) the waterport trestle well as my grandfather had a cottage on Lake Alice by the dam and trestle and many a time in the 60's as kids we would walk across the trestle ( against parents wishes) - the little platforms off the side gave me the creeps looking at the old wood.

We always would run to the edge of the cottage shore when we heard the whistle to watch an engine pulling a few lonely cars.
If this time period was early to late 60's would that have been NYC or Penn Central?

Mark
 #1512186  by cjvrr

Maybe you can simply repost the photos on this same tread as responses?

I really enjoyed your photos. The movies would be great to see.
 #1512197  by BR&P

cjvrr wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 am Maybe you can simply repost the photos on this same tread as responses?

I really enjoyed your photos. The movies would be great to see.
Thank you for the compliment! How can I refuse? :-D

Waterport Trestle. Penn Central started Feb 1, 1968, prior to that it was NYC. The job going out the West Hojack was the CTA, or Charlotte Turnaround. As track conditions deteriorated and speeds were lowered, they would take 4 days to get to Model City and back to Charlotte, with a taxi ride to get them to and from.
West Hojack - on Waterport trestle.jpg
West Hojack - on Waterport trestle.jpg (377.09 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
West Hojack Waterport trestle.jpg
West Hojack Waterport trestle.jpg (399.4 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
 #1512198  by BR&P

Note the tunnel effect from the freight cars doing their own vegetation control:
West Hojack - 1.jpg
West Hojack - 1.jpg (332.44 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
West Hojack - 2.jpg
West Hojack - 2.jpg (334.37 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
End of track at Model City. The line used to continue west from here to Niagara Falls NY but was removed in the early 1960's. During WWII there was an Army facility at Model City, and the late Frank Suhr said they would take 5 or 6 cars of bombs out at a time with two sets of gates to go through and armed military guards. In later years the military was gone but there were still signs of many tracks at one time - some were still there but weed-frown, others had been removed.
West Hojack - End of track Model City NY.jpg
West Hojack - End of track Model City NY.jpg (537.17 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
 #1512306  by BR&P

Here's a shot of the crew at Beaver River in the Adirondacks, preparing for the day's adventures. The Norridgewock Lodge not only provided meals and lodging, but would also pack bag lunches to take along.

Now a story that may prove amusing. This happened shortly before I began going up there - I was not along for this trip. It MAY have been the first time the group went there, and was not too many years after the line was shut down.

It seems several speeders set on the rusted rails at Big Moose or Thendara, and made the journey to Beaver River where they were to stay. The speeders came to a stop in front of the lodge, the motors were shut down, and people began unloading suitcases and other baggage. Suddenly there was a commotion, and from one of the nearby dwellings a man emerged, hollering, waving his arms, and obviously not happy about something. As he got closer, his words, in heavily-accented English which revealed his Italian heritage, became clear, to the astonishment of the speeder folks.

"No, no block-a da main!! No block-a da main! You put-a in siding, line-a da switch back!! Not on main!"

Turns out the old boy was a retired NYC section hand, and probably from his earliest days on the railroad he had been reminded to "no block-a da main!" The fact that the line was abandoned, and washouts in places would have prevented a train from getting there, changed nothing. The rule was the rule, and he made sure it was followed! :P
img134.jpg
img134.jpg (595.6 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
 #1512310  by Fireman43

Great story and pictures. thanks

final thoughts on the water port trestle. In front of that Cold Storage on Waterport Road just a few years ago there at the ROW there had stood the remnants of a 5' concrete whistle post facing EB with the exposed rebar barely holding it up. Again, no camera to capture.

The ' Our Town' series of books that are produced with a lot of postcard shots of various towns - the one on the Town of Carlton has many pictures of the various stages of the demo of the Trestle.
One that was particularly poignant was one of the owner of the demo company standing on it, arms folded, captioned " Last Man to Cross the Waterport Trestle"

Mark
 #1512857  by Fireman43

The ROW of the Hojak at Model City is in Niagara County just north of rt 104, east of Lewiston where it apparently started to make the climb up the escarpment .

Waterport is in Orleans County going back east, north of Albion @rt 279.
The trestle crossed Oak Orchard Creek although it is a lot more than a “creek” having quite an impressive ravine .

The only trestle left on this ROW I know of is one in Niagara County at Burt, just north of Newfane. This is quite an impressive structure.
Quite a few pics online of this one
Mark
 #1512933  by BR&P

Looks like those other pics are not coming back. So I'll re-post the pics from the EL River Line. One is from a signal mast somewhere along the line, and the others are from Fillmore trestle. Imagine not knowing that was there, and rolling along in fog so thick you could not see the ground below you! Obviously the photo was taken on a later trip.
EL River line.jpg
EL River line.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1954 times
From Fillmore trestle.jpg
From Fillmore trestle.jpg (754.72 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
img547.jpg
img547.jpg (353.72 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Last edited by BR&P on Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1512935  by BR&P

Belfast trestle. BTW, some of the pics from this trip are by me, others are from forum member "Checkit".

Belfast - 1.jpg
Belfast - 1.jpg (614.13 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Belfast - 2.jpg
Belfast - 2.jpg (566.49 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
From Belfast trestle.jpg
From Belfast trestle.jpg (299.05 KiB) Viewed 1954 times