Railroad Forums 

• Gang Mills Shop - Erie Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1394315  by nydepot

When was this shop built on the Erie? Aerial photos show the shop in place in 1968. Nothing in 1952. Thanks.

Charles
 #1394390  by CPSmith

charlie6017 wrote:According to the employee timetable in the link below, it was before April 24, 1955 so that may help
narrow it down between 1952 and this date.

This site has lots of goodies in at! :-)

Charlie

http://www.jon-n-bevliles.net/RAILROAD/ ... ett52.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whoa!

My anti-virus software didn't like this site ...
 #1394395  by charlie6017

CPSmith wrote:
Whoa!

My anti-virus software didn't like this site ...
Hmmmm.......I personally haven't had issues with the site, but always good to be vigilant.

Charlie
 #1394412  by nydepot

I tried on two different computers (Mac and PC) and neither complained.
 #1394440  by Matt Langworthy

Two different PCs handled the website with no issues for me. Thanks for sharing the website, Charlie. Even before you posted the dates, I was guessing the Gang Mills shop was probably built in the 1950s. The building certainly has the hallmarks of construction from that era, especially the cinder blocks and high window style.
 #1394476  by Train Detainer

I may have missed something, but I see nothing in the timetable about a shop building - only the yard office.
There is, however, a picture dated dated 1957 in the Erie RR Facilities Vol. 2 book that shows the shop on P.71.
 #1394498  by Clif

When was this shop built on the Erie? Aerial photos show the shop in place in 1968. Nothing in 1952. Thanks.
When the Erie realigned their track from the south side of Corning to run along side the DL&W from Painted Post to Gibson. The Erie gave up their yard which was next to the south side NYC yard. The old Erie alignment is now known as Dennison parkway from Painted Post to near where the hospital is then the Erie turned south ran through South Corning before crossing the Chemung river. With the realignment they lost that yard and the Gang Mills yard was built to replace it. The bridge at Gang Mills was built at the same time so the Erie could keep their trackage rights on the NYC

The realignment was opened on Nov 22 1952.

Though disjointed to me, this video has the time lines and facts .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxy77pRneUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;