Railroad Forums 

• Any coal trains left in New York State?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1499681  by RailKevin

I think the 5 track yard behind Dunlop served the Huntley Station. The western lead went through the unloading shed (which sent the coal underground to the station). The lead continued west over River Road and into the station (probably for electric equipment installation).
 #1501673  by tk48states

Forgot to mention earlier, last year went to a school reunion in Boston, rented a Ford and went to the CSX yard in Framingham. Yardmaster tried to kick me out but when I told him I’d worked for the SP we got to talking and I asked him about coal trains on his railroad, he said kind of wistfully that there were no more coal trains in New England. Maybe he was only referring to CSX. Spent most of the day there and only saw commuter trains, missed the Boston section of the Lake Shore Ltd.
 #1501722  by thebigham

charlie6017 wrote:
tk48states wrote:There used to be an occasional eastbound coal train on the ex Erie main through Wellsville, destination unknown. Probably history now, is there currently any traffic on this line at all?
Just a turn-job from Olean to Hornell a couple times a week, that's really it. I hope some more traffic will someday
run on this line, too.

Charlie
The WNY&P only operates regularly from Olean to Cuba.

Once in a great while, they will run to Hornell for a wayward car or special movement.

The WNY&P's main interchange is with the B&P at Salamanca.

and...

The B&P has operated two 55-car coal trains to Buffalo in February.
 #1502004  by charlie6017

thebigham wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:
tk48states wrote:There used to be an occasional eastbound coal train on the ex Erie main through Wellsville, destination unknown. Probably history now, is there currently any traffic on this line at all?
Just a turn-job from Olean to Hornell a couple times a week, that's really it. I hope some more traffic will someday
run on this line, too.

Charlie
The WNY&P only operates regularly from Olean to Cuba.

Once in a great while, they will run to Hornell for a wayward car or special movement.

The WNY&P's main interchange is with the B&P at Salamanca.

and...

The B&P has operated two 55-car coal trains to Buffalo in February.
Thanks Chris! 😎
 #1556884  by SST

I was out driving around looking at areas effected by the recent windstorm and ended up driving down River Rd in Tonawanda. As I'm approaching the power station from the north, I see a big "blank" in my view.

Sad, they removed the trestle over River Rd.
From the north side looking south: https://i.postimg.cc/j5h1fKzB/IMG-2376-1.jpg

From the south side looking north: https://i.postimg.cc/9f0YW7b4/IMG-2377-1.jpg
 #1556897  by nessman

Sooner or later the entire power plant will be razed for redevelopment - but won't be cheap. Lots of environmental remediation will need to be done.