Railroad Forums 

• Penn Yan " Trestle" on Outlet trail to be removed

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1348411  by Fireman43

Short mention in the Keuka Lake Association newsletter about the DEC removing the remnants of the short rail spur going over the outlet just west of the Main Street bridge. I always liked the look of that last pc of RR history. Can't remember if able to walk it or is barricaded.
( trying to link a bing map pic of it with out success )

Mark
 #1348449  by joshuahouse

It wasn't barricaded the last time I was up there but that was at least 18 months ago. I walked out onto it way back in 2005 or so, but I don't think I'd do it now.

You can see it in this image here, along with the stone bridge that Main St. crosses the outlet on.

http://joshua-house.artistwebsites.com/ ... house.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT Corrected the St. Name, that's "Main" rather then "Liberty".
 #1348455  by Fireman43

Joshua,

Thanks for the info..nice picture you posted.

couple questions on posting.
1. I was looking for my post earlier today and didnt see it until just now. i wonder why as you had replied to my post 3 hrs ago?
2. any quick suggestion on how to cut and paste a pic to the site? I even went to upload as an attachment a bing map following the instructions but with out luck.

thanks

Mark
 #1348724  by joshuahouse

Here's an image of the Superfund site along the outlet. I didn't see any mention of the bridge/trestle in the Record of Decision for the site, although that is 3 years old now.
The NYSEG MFG Plant in Penn Yan NY
(146.7 KiB) Downloaded 3145 times
 #1348827  by poppyl

joshuahouse wrote:Here's an image of the Superfund site along the outlet. I didn't see any mention of the bridge/trestle in the Record of Decision for the site, although that is 3 years old now.
superfund penn yan web.jpg
You may be correct but if memory serves me, the recent announcement about the site cleanup also included remediation of the outlet bottom for a certain distance below (east of) the old plant utilizing coffer dams to expose the bottom. I believe that removal of the trestle was a part of that scope of work. The outlet bottom may not have been included in the original scope of the superfund site project.

Poppyl
 #1348892  by joshuahouse

It certainly would make sense to remove the bridge at the same time along with dredging in that area down stream. I'm in Houston these days and have lost track of this sort of thing but am certain you've got more up to date info.
 #1350009  by poppyl

joshuahouse wrote:It certainly would make sense to remove the bridge at the same time along with dredging in that area down stream. I'm in Houston these days and have lost track of this sort of thing but am certain you've got more up to date info.
Your comment got me to thinking about the status of the bridge and so I did a little digging. Turns out that the timing of my digging happened to coincide with an article in the local paper this week that more or less confirmed what I had found out.

The remediation of the outlet bottom will stop just to the west of this bridge so the superfund project will not demolish the bridge. The bridge, along with another one to the east of Birkett Mills, is now the property of the village. Some thought at one time had been given to removing both bridges to prevent possible accidents involving folks trespassing on them. Most recently, however, the thinking has been to preserve them and tie them into the adjacent footpaths along the outlet. To that end, the village recently approved contracting with an engineering firm to explore rehab options for both bridges. Obviously too soon to say what or when anything will be done with the bridges but at least they are on the village's agenda, hopefully to be preserved and not demolished.

Poppyl
 #1350385  by poppyl

The one east of Birketts is part of the trail but it was put into "use" as is after the rails were removed with a "quick fix" deck and railings. It is in need of some overdue maintenance, although maybe not as much as the bridge west of Main will require. The engineering study will provide the details on needed scope and cost for both bridges.

Poppyl