Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1327999  by shadyjay

There's also the pair of EL-painted E8s, stored just south of the station at North Creek, and I believe they're owned by the railroad, but haven't been used yet. Not sure what the plan is for them, if any plan at all.
 #1328541  by griffs20soccer

I just finished watching the video of the Warren County Public Works Mtg. This is the meeting where S&NC updates the county on what the railroad is doing. Justin presented 1st, as he usually does. On my computer, it is a little difficult to hear him. I'll post the written meeting minutes when they become available so you can get the details. I've posted brief bullets on what Justin presented.

1. There will be a major brush cutting taking place on the Tahawus Branch. This will result in the hiring of 5 seasonal full time employees. They are purchasing a Hi-Rail dump truck and a Jordan Spreader to assist in the work. The brush cutting will go from May to November.

2. There will be a 4,000 ton shipment of stone in May. This will complete the contract with MassDOT for ballast stone. (get your cameras ready)

3. The dome cars are having the upholstery replaced and other improvements made on the interior of the cars.

4. Justin is traveling to Deep River Falls, MN to look at the engine S&NC is purchasing. It's a GP-38 that is being overhauled and is scheduled for delivery to S&NC mid-August.

5. A new coach will soon be put in service. The seats and the interior have been upgraded and a cafe was constructed at one end. The coach that is in service will have the seats, carpeting, and interior replaced or upgraded.

6. Justin is meeting with Canadian Pacific's VP of Marketing to work out freight contract issues. The contract talks are moving forward and are looking positive.

7. The railroad is meeting with the Town of Corinth to finalize the design plans for the new Corinth Station. They hope to break ground in June.

8. The railroad will do improvements to the Hadley and Thurman stations. These include the planting of flowers and shrubs and placing new signs to improve the stations' appearence.

As you can see there is positive news coming from S&NC and not one mention in any newspaper about the good news. You can go on the county's site if you want to view the video yourself.

Don
 #1328631  by pumpers

griffs20soccer wrote:
2. There will be a 4,000 ton shipment of stone in May. This will complete the contract with MassDOT for ballast stone. (get your cameras ready)
Don
That's about 40-50 loaded gondolas. Good for some pictures but hardly a game changer. Hopefully this goes smoothly and we will see this traffic increase at least 10 times or more, based on some of the potential numbers SNC has quoted in meetings like this before.
JS
 #1329013  by Otto Vondrak

griffs20soccer wrote:You can go on the county's site if you want to view the video yourself.
A link provided as courtesy would be nice. :-)

-otto-
 #1329088  by griffs20soccer

Here is the link to the county site. Click on the video of the 4-27-15 meeting. The last time I checked the written minutes weren't available yet.

http://www.warrencountyny.gov/gov/comm/public_works/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm always nervous about posting links because I'm never sure if they are going to work.
Don
 #1329437  by griffs20soccer

As reported in Gino's Rail Blog, S&NC moved the 28 loaded coal hoppers to Saratoga for their trip to Glens Falls Cement. The cars were stored on sidings around Corinth. I've attempted to include the link to Gino's Rail Blog. You need to page down to get to the coal movement.

http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope the link works, enjoy.
Don
 #1332148  by traingeek8223

Report from North Creek Monday 5/18:

All locomotives currently on the railroad were located in North Creek. The two E8s were parked on the Barton siding just north of the yard with the Columbus and Greenville business car and the privately owned Ontario Northland coach. BL2 52 parked on the mainline by it's self just north of engine house lead. Main also occupied by (from north to south); BL2 56, B39-8 8524, S2 851, S1 5. Normal passenger consist on the passing siding next to the station. Bi-levels and a few other cars on stub siding south of the station. About 20 hopper cars on Ordway siding north of town.

The real reportable news is that RS36 5019 was on the engine house track with visible signs of work being preformed. Rumor has it that a set of batteries have been borrowed from one of the E8s in order to fire the engine up and give it a mechanical evaluation to see if it is worth returning to service. If all goes well with the evaluation it will receive new wheels and enter service.
 #1332940  by griffs20soccer

Matt,
You were right. The 5019 is being worked on. A member of the S&NC yahoo group took a track car trip with a group to Tahawus. According to this person the S&NC staff confirmed that 5019 is being worked on, new batteries are on hand, and the trucks will be shipped out shortly for rebuild. The hope is to have her back in service by mid-sumer.

The 56 still has a few mechanical issues they are working on. No firm date when she will be brought into service. Add to this the purchase of a GP-38, it makes one wonder on what is on the horizon.

This could make train watching of the S&NC a little more interesting.
Don