Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1318257  by Otto Vondrak

SNC facebook page just posted a notice that all passenger train service is suspended until March due to mechanical issues.

-otto-
 #1318361  by SlackControl

Engine 5019, it's probably been discussed. But, are there any plans to get it running again?

On another note: I'm planning on taking a ski trip next year around this time. But, unless I'm looking in the wrong place, SNCRR's trains don't have any direct connections with Amtrak. Feb only, Amtrak is scheduled to arrive at 12:02pm with the northbound SNCRR departing at 1:30. If Amtrak is on time, that's almost 90 mins waiting at the station. Then, on the return trip, the only Amtrak train I'd be able to catch is the late one, which if I take the earlier SNCRR southbound, I'd be waiting several hours. But if I took the later, the train would have to be right on time, just leaving minutes to catch the Amtrak southbound. Am I missing something with a closer connection, or is the service really that poorly matched up?

Also, what kind of accomodations does Gore Mt have? Is there lodging there for an overnight stay?
Last edited by SlackControl on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1318415  by lvrr325

So far as I know the only issue with 5019 is the wheels are thin and need replacement. Not cheap.

I wouldn't plan a trip a year out around this year's schedules, who knows if trains will even be running then. (see previous posts about mechanical issues).
 #1318420  by Adirondacker

SlackControl wrote:Am I missing something with a closer connection, or is the service really that poorly matched up?
Like lvrr325 said, who knows what the schedules will look like next year. Both the SNCRR's and Amtrak's. For instance Vermont may get the urge to run a second Ethan Allen. ... be aware that the weekday schedules for Amtrak are much different than the weekend schedules.
SlackControl wrote:Also, what kind of accomodations does Gore Mt have? Is there lodging there for an overnight stay?
Lots

http://www.goremountain.com/vacation-planning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They take a very very broad view of where the lodging is. Lots of what is listed is in Lake George.
 #1318438  by SlackControl

Adirondacker wrote:Like lvrr325 said, who knows what the schedules will look like next year. Both the SNCRR's and Amtrak's. For instance Vermont may get the urge to run a second Ethan Allen. ... be aware that the weekday schedules for Amtrak are much different than the weekend schedules.
Thank you for the quick responses. But, it's reasonable to expect that the schedules for next year won't be that different though. I work for the LIRR, and new schedules come out at least four times a year, but most of the trains remain untouched. Some of them are adjusted by a matter of a minute or two. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to get my hopes up for taking Amtrak from NYP to SAR, then SNCRR the rest of the way, or if I'd be better off driving the whole way up. I've been itching for an excuse to take a trip on the SNCRR for a few years, but haven't had the opportunity. If it's worth while and convenient to take the train the whole way, I will. If not though, I'm not going to drive up to Saratoga and leave my car at the station for the weekend just to ride the train. If I'm driving that far, I might as well drive the rest of the way up to North Creek.
Last edited by SlackControl on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1318440  by SlackControl

Tony Goodwin wrote:The "mechanical" problem may have been with their accountant's calculator.
Are they doing poorly financially? I thought a lot of talk was that they were actually doing fairly well. It would be a shame if they go bust. A lot of improvements were made to the line, and it seems like a great route for a scenic train ride.
 #1318443  by B&M 1227

Tony Goodwin wrote:The "mechanical" problem may have been with their accountant's calculator.
Tony, speculation is not welcome in this rumor-centric hobby...
 #1318463  by Jack Shufelt

Welcome to the United States of propaganda, eh. As usual we have just about enough information to be dangerous. I would speculate though that the S&NC, given the extreme snow and cold, may have been required to take a pause in regular operations to get their equipment in better shape as they can ill afford to have shut downs on the road as that is expensive. Heavy snow and cold can be tough on locomotive operations as well as other equipment. Lets wait and see what happens after Sunday February 22nd.
 #1318468  by traingeek8223

Are they doing poorly financially? I thought a lot of talk was that they were actually doing fairly well. It would be a shame if they go bust.
SlackControl

Tony is only here to antagonize and cause confusion. He is fabricating information to cast doubt on the solvency of this operation, which he believes will shed doubt on the economic potential that restoration of rail service on the Adirondack Scenic between Big Moose and Saranac Lake will have. This will aid his goal of tearing out that line north of Thendara so he and his buddies can have an empty right of way to play on. In actuality the SNC is in sound and improving financial condition. They are simply having a run of mechanical issues that they need to deal with.

To answer an earlier question: The RS36 (5019) is privately owned and needs new wheel sets and a variety of minor mechanical work to return to operation. The biggest problem has been an inability to come to common terms for lease between the owner and SNC.
 #1318469  by lvrr325

There is a huge, huge amount of difference between a commuter line that runs numerous trains each day for a large metropolitan area, and an excursion train running with old equipment just for pleasure rides. Unlike Amtrak or LIRR, no one is subsidizing their bills.
 #1318527  by griffs20soccer

TonY has selective reading comprehension. He didn't comment on the movement of the loaded coal cars stored for CP, a paying costumer. Or the articles on the increase in passengers at S&NC or IPH's increase in revenue and carloadings in 2014. Oh that's right it doesn't fit his agenda. Tony, please give it a rest.