Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1516427  by traingeek8223

The county wants that equipment removed also (along with an NYC combine left behind by SNC) but last I heard was "working with the owner" to make that happen. Not sure there is a drop dead date, but they are obviously being generous and not forcing its immediate removal.
 #1516455  by traingeek8223

The 5019 is privately owned and needs wheels replaced before it can move. Replacing wheels can get pricey and I think the owner is having difficulty finding a solution within his budget. Also, SNC wouldn't remove someone else's equipment without being hired to do so. So that is why the 5019 and a green and red coach are still in North Creek.
 #1528879  by rhallock

I was told by a man who is familiar with the area that the owner of the mine property wanted very much to ship his material out by rail, but that because of so many obstacles put in his way, he now trucks it to the Champlain Canal and it is moved by barge to its destination.
 #1528910  by BR&P

rhallock wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:52 pm I was told by a man who is familiar with the area that the owner of the mine property wanted very much to ship his material out by rail, but that because of so many obstacles put in his way, he now trucks it to the Champlain Canal and it is moved by barge to its destination.
It has been reported CP was highly resistant to handling the traffic. Sad to see - it would seem at first glance that it would be a natural move for rail but maybe there are factors I'm not aware of.
 #1532386  by NHV 669

Both BL2 units now awaiting pickup at Eagle Bridge, apparently to be stored on the Battenkill RR. They took quite a roundabout journey going from their previous location in Corinth, north, via Whitehall/Rutland/HJ on VRS to get to Eagle Bridge. VTR 307 handled the move out of Corinth, interesting to know what their right is to reach that trackage.
 #1532660  by oibu

Since there is no operator at the present for the Adirondack branch, I'm guessing they just contracted VRS for a crew and unit to perform the retrieval. I would doubt there was anything more to it than that, and the whole shebang would have just moved Saratoga-Whitehall via CP and gotten picked up by CLP for the continuation of the move. They probably had better luck with that than with getting CP to make the Adirondack move only to take the units a few miles down to delivery to PAR.
 #1547780  by Old Muley

I passed through North Creek on July 9th.

The repairs to the Alco 5019 in North Creek have been made. Looks to be a traction motor assembly swap out ? The swapped out equipment was under a tarp in the former S & NC parking lot. The 5019 has been moved and the derelict coach that was left behind has been coupled up to the loco. I took some pics and will try to upload to the NERAIL site.

Most surprising was the assortment of M.O.W. Equipment, hi-rail trucks, piles of ballast and rip- rap in the North Creek yard. Apparently the county is repairing 3 wash outs south of North Creek so the 5019 can be moved off the line. These repairs must be costing the county a tidy chunk of change.

Interesting for sure. I sincerely hope that the county finds a new operator for the line and doesn’t “throw in the towel”

The rail bike operation appears to be booming. The parking lot was packed with vehicles. I would bet that the rail bike operation brings in more tourist $ to the village than the proposed rail trail would.
 #1547820  by Old Muley

Old Muley is trying to figure out how to post pics. The pics are posting “sideways”. I got one to orient properly. :wink:
Attachments:
E93816CA-0ABF-4375-8C19-2A6E96378BAB.jpeg
E93816CA-0ABF-4375-8C19-2A6E96378BAB.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1822 times
 #1547832  by BR&P

The old girl is looking a bit worse for the wear. :( Hopefully it has a brighter future. If they are swapping out a traction motor, somebody must have plans for it down the road.