Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1463420  by johnpbarlow

The long term signing of a freight customer is just in the nick of time as on Tuesday 2/27/18 STB granted New York State Department of Environmental Conservation the waivers they sought to simplify their filing of adverse abandonment of S&NC to prevent the RR from storing OOS freight cars in the Adirondack Park. NYS DEC's basis for the filing was that S&NC had never signed up a customer on the line as they had promised back in 2012. Maybe its luck is starting to change!

https://www.stb.gov/decisions/readingro ... /46265.pdf
 #1463509  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:
Dick H wrote:From the poststar.com: S&NC Lands Freight Contract.
http://poststar.com/news/local/railroad ... b2f89.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got Cliff Notes for those of us who block ads and refuse to "buy a pass"? Won't let me read the article.
didn't it gave you 2 options, asking you to accept article with junk ADS or reading without ads? I clicked on "accepting ads" and after I did, pop-up asked me to turn off ad blocker. I didn't do that and click close and was able to read article... without ad showing up... somehow.. LOL
 #1463522  by BR&P

It gave 2 options - accept ads from that site, or buy a pass. No way to close that window except close the whole page, article and all. Usually those things have a little X in the upper right but I do 't see that on this one. Fcrew 'em! :P
 #1463551  by CP4743

Matt Langworthy wrote:Basically, the S&NC has a contract to move the tailings out of the mine at Tawahus.

Actually, the article states that the SNC has signed a contract that runs through 2019 to haul loads from Barton Mines in North River to the CP connection in Saratoga and on to Virginia Beach. It also states Paul Mitchell Logging of Tupper Lake has purchased the Tahawus Tailings pile (and land?) from NL Industries and SNC hopes that this improves the chances for outbound stone loads or inbound product.

SNC has hauled at least 3 high cube boxcar loads out of Barton since opening the Sanford Lake Branch again. So this is a service that has been provided already by SNC.

But on a negative note, the article also touches on the continuing financial woes of IP...they are behind in payments to Warren County.
 #1463552  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:It gave 2 options - accept ads from that site, or buy a pass. No way to close that window except close the whole page, article and all. Usually those things have a little X in the upper right but I do 't see that on this one. Fcrew 'em! :P

try this. accept ads.... then hit "done" instead of close window. I got bypass that way.
 #1467082  by CP4743

Over on the trail nuts Facebook propaganda page, Steve T from the S&NC called this fake news. It was not completely clear what went on at the Warren County meeting based on Steve's post but there is still positive energy at Iowa Pacific with respect to moving the tailings. However, as far as I can tell, the offer for Cuomo to buy out Iowa Pacific is still on the table. But, S&NC said they have a freight contract with Barton. So I guess just about anything can happen in the next few months. But it seems that IP did not exit the line today.

RussNelson wrote:What's-his-face the "convert it to a trail" dude says that Iowa Pacific told Warren County that they are done running trains on this line. True or BS?
 #1467115  by thebigham

http://poststar.com/news/local/railroad ... df504.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Railroad owner threatens to pull out without $5 million payment
DON LEHMAN [email protected]

QUEENSBURY — The owner of Saratoga & North Creek Railway told Warren County leaders Thursday that he plans to shut down the railroad unless someone buys a northern rail line from his company for $5 million.

Ed Ellis, president of the railroad’s parent company, Iowa Pacific Holdings, said SNCR’s tourist trains will not run this summer unless the county, state or “somebody” is willing to “invest” in his company to keep it functioning.

That investment would entail purchase of the so-called Sanford Lake/Tahawus rail line north of North Creek, and Ellis said $5 million would be what is needed to get the rail company through the end of its current five-year contract. It would allow the company to try to work with a contractor who bought a former mine at the end of the Sanford Lake line in Tahawus with plans to remove stone.