Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion - 2014

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1251189  by Cactus Jack

Technically all bearings are friction bearings .... Roller and plain. Plain bearings are often referred to as friction bearings informally but it is technically not correct. As in #5 they are not grease filled but oil filled. There are grease roller bearings that require field lube and there are sealed roller bearings which is what most equipment now rides on.

While a "friction" bearing can lose oil and dry up and run hot, it is more forgiving than a roller bearing in failure in that the plain bearing will smoke or even ignite the lube oil in the box giving a pretty visual sense that it is hot. It normally takes a bit of time and you can run some distance if needed or initiate some field repairs. STP always worked good in a pinch. With proper tools and repalcement wicks and oil or a new bearing you are good to go. It is not like suddenly the bearing is going to end up dry, heat up and burn off the end of an axle in 600 yards.

A roller bearing though can fail quickly with almost no warning or visual or audible indication and that failure tends to be much more catastrophic hence closely spaced hot bearing detectors and set out tracks. The incidence of a failire or need to service and inspect is much lower than a plain bearing with less rolling resistance and hence is a technological improvement, but with the cost of detectors. The issue with failure of a plain bearing is that hardly any railroad, and probably no Class 1's have the tools or materials to repair one when something happens hence the general ban in standard AAR interchange. They are not banned by FRA and are legal if they meet certain inspection criteria (lateral play for instance).

The SNC does not make interchange with CPR at Saratoga, it is a trackage rights arrangement so AAR interchange rules would not have a direct play. It is most likely under contractual agreement of the trackage rights agreements. I am aware of situations under trackage rights where such things as moving plain bearing equipment have occured in the past as the agreements did not stipulate such restrictions and the equipment of the railroad using the trackage rights was subject to FRA compliance and the discretion of the tenents mechanical department.
 #1251192  by Benjamin Maggi

I have been told that they own the switcher, which used to be the ALCO plant switcher. Hopefully, if it is true that they own it, they won't move it to some other railroad owned by Iowa Pacific. It is local to the area.
 #1251219  by griffs20soccer

Matt and Otto,
Wouldn't S&NC need a protect engine? When I was in North Creek on Saturday I didn't look like any of their engines except the big GE which was idling at the station, have been used this winter. All were snow covered and drifted in. I could see through the window that the BL-2 was in the engine house. I know they need 2 engines to do their current Snow Train schedule with a 7:00 and 10:00 am departures, no way to turnaround the 7:00 am power. Even if they only ran one of the trains what would happen if the engine quit on their track between Saratoga and North Creek?
 #1251241  by traingeek8223

Yes. They do need a protect engine. That is why the second BL2 has arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if it is pressed into service without a paint job (Grey Ghost style). I don't know what the story with the 821 is (didn't ask). It might not be set up for winter operation.
 #1251276  by griffs20soccer

Matt,
Is the 821 MU capable? I thought I read somewhere that is why they don't use it on the regular passenger trains. I could be completely off base, but for some reason i remember that being the issue. I'm not sure why that would make a difference unless the 821 couldn't handle the trains by herself.
Don
 #1251278  by MEC407

Is the 8524 up and running?

Photo by Matt Giardino: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3756859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1251294  by traingeek8223

Is the 821 MU capable?
Don. The 821 is not MU equipped. It is most likely just waiting until spring for a return to service. The 5 is likewise not MU equipped.
Is the 8524 up and running?

Photo by Matt Giardino: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3756859
Yup. Both it and MEC 352 were online for the trip south.
 #1251302  by MEC407

Thanks Matt. Nice photo!
 #1259447  by griffs20soccer

It looks like the shipments of stone from Tahawus will start shortly. According to the Post Star shipments will begin in the next few weeks. It also talked about getting permission to store stone in Corinth. I'm not sure why, hopefully someone on this board will know what it means. Here is the link, hope it works.

http://poststar.com/news/local/stone-sh ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don
 #1259681  by pumpers

griffs20soccer wrote:It looks like the shipments of stone from Tahawus will start shortly. According to the Post Star shipments will begin in the next few weeks. It also talked about getting permission to store stone in Corinth. I'm not sure why, hopefully someone on this board will know what it means. Here is the link, hope it works.

http://poststar.com/news/local/stone-sh ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don
Thanks for the post. If the volume is even a fraction of what they were talking about a few months ago (see previous posts), it is going to be a huge thing. Let's wait and see. JS
 #1259692  by Otto Vondrak

I bet there's a real good reason this stuff is being trucked out and not interchanged to Canadian Pacific.

-otto-