Railroad Forums 

• FGLK Negotiating Use of OOS Geneva-Lyons Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1202967  by poppyl

Local media are reporting that FGLK and NS are actively negotiating FGLK use of the OOS segment of the NS Corning Secondary between Geneva and Lyons. Although the reports are a little unclear, it sounds like FGLK would like to buy the segment outright rather than create a use agreement with NS as they currently have between Geneva and Himrod. Stated FGLK reasons for pursuing this are to create another east-west interchange with CSX and potential industrial development along the corridor between Geneva and Lyons.

Obvious questions in my mind are: what is the future for NS interchange traffic with FGLK if the Lyons segment returns to service and ultimately, the future of the Corning Secondary since its current reason for being is the aforementioned interchange traffic?

Perhaps K4 could shed some "official" light on the situation.

Poppyl
 #1202971  by charlie6017

Makes all the sense in the world if they can grab it at a good price. It would save a lot of time hauling interchange
traffic to Lyons instead of Solvay. I know they can only go at a snail's pace through Seneca Falls, and a lesser distance
to Lyons overall.

Charlie
 #1202972  by poppyl

I agree with your assessment, Charlie. Makes a lot of sense for FGLK. I do wonder, however, how much volume that NS now carries on the Tier and up the Secondary would instead come across on CSX to Lyons. I guess pricing would play a role in this.

Is this the beginning of the demise of the Secondary or the opening move to handing the Secondary off to FGLK or no big deal at all in terms of NS and the Secondary? Don't know. I do know that Yates County development people have been actively shopping a couple of industrially zoned sites using a pitch that plays up the adjacent NS service.

Poppyl
 #1202995  by scottychaos

Even if FGLK did purchase and re-open the line from Geneva to Lyons,
I dont see that as being a major factor on the NS interchange with FGLK, and the Corning secondary from
Corning to Geneva..

Because the Geneva - Lyons segment would only open a second connection with CSX..they already have one at Solvay.
It would help FGLK, but I dont think it would necessarily harm the FGLK-NS interchange..
because there is still going to be NS/CP interchange traffic that wants to go East from Corning, toward Binghamton, then out CP north and south
from Binghamton..

Sure, opening Geneva-Lyons could effect NS traffic somewhat, but IMO I dont think it could be enough
to kill the NS-FGLK interchange completely..there is still a lot of traffic that is going to go in and out via NS..
Plus, FGLK would be better off with two Class-1 interchanges, rather than only CSX..
So FGLK is still going to want NS..and as long as NS can still make money, NS will still want FGLK..

I dont see how any of that would go away completely if the Geneva-Lyons was opened back up..

Scot
 #1203044  by poppyl

BR&P wrote:
Local media are reporting that FGLK and NS are actively negotiating FGLK use of the OOS segment of the NS Corning Secondary between Geneva and Lyons.
Link?

Here's a reference to the discussions -- http://www.fltimes.com/news/local/artic ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, it is a very abbreviated version of the full article that appeared in today's print edition. Since I do not subscribe to the paper I cannot link to the full article electronically.

Poppyl
 #1203101  by roadster

I guess some forgot that prior to NS taking this line OoS, they interchanged with CSX at Lyons daily for years. This forced all CSX traffic to be stuffed into Solvay, which has been a congested mess since. The traffic which comes up from the NS would most likely continue as it did before. The CSX traffic at Solvay went to Selkirk and the Lyons traffic went West to Buffalo, and now would go to Willard. Would reduce congestion at Solvay and Dewitt.
 #1203181  by K4Pacific

There is no demise of the Corning Secondary PoppyL. 50 to 60 cars on HO-6 don't amount to a hill of beans. Always have an escape route - like in the Art of War. Bring back the shared trains like New York Central and Pennsylvania RR did on the Elmira Branch then ENSY and SYEN. That would be a smart north/south traffic move right there, but then again, I'm not in charge. That roadster blue and yellow guy knows his stuff. Why would any business want to come into New York State? Sierra Club would ride them down like grass.
 #1203210  by poppyl

Don't see any reason why FGLK couldn't run down to Baker Street. BTW, not unlike the B&H in that regard. Might have to lease a couple of more six axles unless the current Geneva-Solvay-Geneva job just becomes K4's daily through train between Baker Street and Solvay with a Geneva crew change. Timing with CSX and NS schedules might work against the idea, however.

For now, K4 has spoken -- no change to HO-6 and the Secondary resulting from the possible reopening of the Geneva-Lyons segment.

Poppyl
 #1203610  by terms-d

charlie6017 wrote:I know they can only go at a snail's pace through Seneca Falls, ...
And Waterloo...And Auburn too

These rumors have been around for years. The link the the STB article said theyre not looking to abandon it, just discontinue common carrier service...its still owned by them and it's still OOS, so whats changed?? I think its better to just wait & see rather than speculating and looking like a fool...I'm guessing even the Finger Lakes people probably don't know whats going to happen.
 #1203821  by Otto Vondrak

Gents, please. You know I try to avoid heated political discussions at all costs. I do not enjoy them. No one else seems to either. Please continue as you were...

-otto-
 #1233928  by nessman

Update:

http://www.rbj.net/article.asp?aID=203818" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Schumer calls for extension of railroad tax credit
By THOMAS ADAMS
Rochester Business Journal
December 5, 2013

Food-packaging manufacturer Pactiv Corp. in Canandaigua and operators of more than 5,600 freight railroad cars would benefit if an expiring tax credit is extended, Sen. Charles Schumer said Thursday.

The Short Line Railroad Rehabilitation and Investment Act of 2013 is set to expire at the end of the year, potentially depriving Geneva-based Finger Lakes Railway of a tax credit valued at 50 percent of the cost to upgrade and maintain an 11.5-mile stretch of rail it wants to acquire, said Schumer, D-N.Y.