Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1194683  by Matt Langworthy

Poppyl- agreed 100%. HW2 was definitely switching when I got to Himrod. My earliest shot was time stamped at 7:54 AM, and it took over an hour for the train to be ready for departure. BTW, the visibility from Old Severn Road is somewhat limited, so I took a few shots and waited in my car until HW2 headed out.
 #1197207  by Matt Langworthy

Hmmm... that's a good question. If FGLK operates HW2 today, I am guessing they won't run on Friday. Again, that is a guess, not the definitive fact. Maybe one of the local railfans like Poppyl or K4Pacific will know what's going on.
 #1197283  by terms-d

ricebrianrice wrote:I am going to be in Dundee for the Holiday, and hoped that maybe I could catch them running to Watkins.

Thanks
You could always listen to 160.950 on your scanner and see if you hear them switching in the morning....
 #1197295  by poppyl

Unless US Salt is working the holiday (more likely for Labor Day rather than July 4), if FGLK makes a run down tomorrow (Wednesday), I would not expect a run on Friday. However, shipments have been up over the last few weeks such that FGLK has been running pretty consistently M-W-F. With that in mind, this could be the week for a Saturday run in lieu of Friday.

I'll see what is cooking tomorrow morning and let you know.

Poppyl
 #1197297  by poppyl

ricebrianrice wrote:I am going to be in Dundee for the Holiday, and hoped that maybe I could catch them running to Watkins.

Thanks

Brian;

If you are in the Dundee area over the holiday, you should be able to catch NS HO6 on Friday and/or Sunday evening going through Dundee between eight and nine PM. I say "should" because lately its time has varied from around eight to almost eleven PM. If it's still light and you do catch it, give Mr. Price a friendly wave.

Poppyl
 #1197457  by K4Pacific

Brian and Poppy,

HO6 went through last night at County Route 16 Crossing (to WGI) at 7:30. So you're right on Poppy. The mark time is 17:00 and quite often there is terminal delay time (TDT) due to 12T &13T arrivals to Gang Mills. Both have cars for HO6. On it's return, the train ties up at the brand spanking new rusty Baker Street Yard - since Inergy has been killed by Sierra and other Green Hornets. The Gang Mills local comes over later in the morning to pick it up.

Brian, the best bet if you're around Watkins Glen Friday is to be at the Waterfront Seneca Harbor Station around 1am and grab the Finger Lakes with the rusted P&W B23-7 and watch it switch Cargill next to Walmart. Plenty of walking room there.

Then at 7. Head down 414 and intercept HO6. (Then safely stop it to get Pricey to sign up for the FLX Tour de Cure Team NS Powertrain)
 #1197473  by ricebrianrice

Brian, the best bet if you're around Watkins Glen Friday is to be at the Waterfront Seneca Harbor Station around 1am and grab the Finger Lakes with the rusted P&W B23-7 and watch it switch Cargill next to Walmart. Plenty of walking room there.
1 am ????, if it is AM, I am sorry I will be asleep.
 #1197504  by K4Pacific

1pm. 1 pm. 1pm. 1pm. Freudian slip. That's how wrecks happen.
 #1197583  by poppyl

HW2 made a rare PM run to Watkins Glen today. Left Himrod a little before 2 PM and returned around 6 PM. Given the lateness of today's run, I'm almost willing to bet that there will not be a Friday job this week. I'll run by the yard later and see if the loco is tied down.

Poppyl
 #1197716  by poppyl

Surprise, surprise. Two units (2310 on lead and 2306) are tied down at Himrod today. Since that is way more power than usually needed for the Watkins Glen run, I'm figuring that they will run to Geneva tomorrow with yesterday's load out from Watkins and maybe the string of lumber cars that are still sitting in the Himrod yard. One unit probably will return with Monday's consist for Watkins.

Poppyl
 #1197996  by scharnhorst

I'm out of the country for a few weeks on business. But thought that I would chime in quick to report that 1703 was swapped out with 2309 to work the Auburn Local noticed that on Wednesday, July 3ed when on my way to the airport.
 #1215080  by oibu

Is M-F-W OD in the AM still the pattern for Himrod-WG as noted above back over the summer? Reliable? Should be a fairly busy time of year as salt orders are filled pre-winter.
 #1215127  by poppyl

M-W-F is still a pretty good schedule. Departure times have been ranging from mid-morning to as late as 2 PM with more early afternoon departures in the last couple of weeks. Today, for example, it departed Himrod after 11 AM and arrived back at Himrod around 5:30 PM.

Poppyl