Railroad Forums 

• Kodak Park Steel Caboose

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1527150  by nydepot

Anyone have a better photo of this caboose? Know its history? Thanks.

Charles
Scan_001.jpg
Scan_001.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 2677 times
 #1527161  by jr

It was "stuffed and mounted" on a short piece of track, just off of Eastman Ave., about 10 years ago. It was still in rather good shape, when I last visited, about 5 years ago. Satellite imagery of the area still shows a white "blob" in that location, so I believe it still resides there. (It had nice white membrane roof, hence the white appearance from above).

I'll make a slight "alteration" to Mr. BR&P's post, with the caveat that this is strictly from memory, and his notes are usually right on the money: I am pretty sure that the sides have steel sheathing, and the ends remain wooden. The interior has been mostly gutted (no more of the standard cupola caboose cabinets, etc. Also, no method for sitting high in the cupola). It has several rows of bus-type seats, all facing one way. It is basically set up as an inexpensive (although nicely done) inspection or business car.

JR
 #1527171  by BR&P

JR, the B&O I-5 series had steel ends, and in fact the pic above, if you blow it up, clearly shows rivets there. Now the sides do appear smooth, which suggests to me 1 of two possibilities: either Kodak did in fact put steel sides on it, or perhaps the sides have plywood sheathing as was often done. I agree I did hear the thing was turned into a mini-"observation car" for tours by customers etc.
 #1527182  by jr

I'll defer to Mr. BR&P on the steel ends, and stand corrected.,

My recollection of the sides was that they're smooth (apparently welded sheet) construction, with "modern" sealed windows, enclosed by rubber gasket. I did not actually take a magnet to the sides. On the other hand, there was no evidence of wood grain either.

You can Google 199 Eastman Ave, Rochester. Change to the satellite view and zoom down. Just to the south of Eastman Ave is a small landscaped area, with a white rectangle inside it. The rectangle is the caboose.

JR
 #1527198  by BR&P

jr wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:42 pm My recollection of the sides was that they're smooth (apparently welded sheet) construction, with "modern" sealed windows, enclosed by rubber gasket.
JR
I noticed that in the photo and it does suggest metal sides - certainly that would be within the capabilities of EK's people. Given the depth of renovation inside, I would not be at all surprised to find that is the case.
 #1527289  by jr

Last I knew, it was "behind the fence". My last visit was as a Kodak employee. While it is visible from a distance, I don't think that anybody can just walk up to it, unfortunately.

JR
 #1531024  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

After some research I found that George Wybenga - who wrote a book and sold lithographs of his Caboose Art that he produced over a 16 year period 2001-2016
painted (sketch/water color) an art image of the Kodak Park caboose included in a
limited edition book (500 copies) containing 270 North American caboose drawings.
The first and only edition of this book was produced in June 2017.

The lithograph number is #216 with the caption "Baltimore And Ohio #C2021
as Kodak Cupola Caboose Kodak Park Rochester, New York"

Since his passing in October 2016 his web page has since been discontinued.

From referencing the book this information was available in the contents:
George Wybenga Graphics; 259 County Road 51, Coxsackie, NY 12051 (518) 731-6442
Individual lithographs of the Wybenga caboose art may be available.

There was a tribute topic posted about George Wybenga in the LIRR Forum section:
http://www.railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=164979

MACTRAXX