• Power Plant

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1065748  by glennk419

Ken W2KB wrote:
glennk419 wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:
south jersey trains wrote:The track thats stops at the power plant could be extended accross the small bay where the Beasley point bridge is being removed ,go a short distance( half mile) to rt 559,make a right and go 1 mile to the base of the new 9th st bridge,put a small station there and have small shuttle buses take you into the heart of Ocean City,thus returning train service to OC! Thus saving the track and ROW and using it for dual use.Just a thought.
It is my understanding that the track between Tuckahoe and the generating station is in poor condition. It would require substantial sums of money to bring it up to passenger standards, and the extension would probably double the cost. I also wonder if the railroad right of way is a candidate for use for the natural gas pipeline to be built to serve the station.
Ken, all practicality aside, you seem to take great joy in the demise of this line, almost to the point of an ulterior motive. Would you be equally enthuised if there was talk of a pipeline between Flemington and Lambertville?
No. Simply reporting facts. No sugar coating. Indeed, there is some preliminary activity reported in the press this year advocating converting Ringoes to Lambertville to a rail-trail. To my knowledge, nothing formal in that regard has occurred.
Mea culpa.
 #1068289  by ChrisU

When will it get there and what does it have for power?
 #1068352  by glennk419

JJMDiMunno wrote:The power is a NS-UP-UP lash up. Your guess is as good as mine as to when it will run. Must wait for a qualified crew.

Mike DiMunno
SJRA / SJRAIL.COM
Looks like CA51 will be making a run down this afternoon to shine the rails in advance of the coal train. SJ Dispatcher issued a form D at 1:36 from BROWN to PAL.
Things must be getting a little full down there, wonder if they'll bring back any empties?
 #1068579  by ChrisU

Thanks guys I really wanna drive down there to see it so bad,hahaha.
 #1069979  by south jersey trains

3 NS locomotives and apox. 83 full coal cars passed through Milmay at 913pm Sunday nite on the way to Beasleys.Good to see the track still used.
 #1078743  by michaelk

Jtgshu wrote:Sometimes reality sucks.

Ken has always been a straight shooter on here, I have never ever tasted any sense of bias in any of his posts.

If a Natural Gas pipeline was to be built, why acquire a whole new ROW when there is an existing one (Railroad) that goes to the same place and won't be used any more. Ideally, they could build the pipeline adjacent to the tracks and leave them in, but who knows.

BTW, there are a lot of pipelines and fiber optic lines and lots of other things underground that run along existing and current/active ROWs, and is a way to generate revenue for the railroad.
I know they slap communications lines under rail ROW's and powerlines above- anyone know what the "rules" are for natural gas lines under rails? Can they run them directly underneath parallel? (obviously you can cross under in a somewhat perpendicular manner)
 #1086250  by johnnyloco

An NS 502 went to Beesley's Point yesterday 9/25/2012 in a rare daylight move. This has been only the 5th coal train to the B.L.England plant this year. With plans to switch to natural gas, and the plant only operating during peak demands as it is, these coal trains may dry up very soon.

This 502 had three Dash-9's for power and 90 hoppers.
http://manatree.rrpicturearchives.net/s ... id=3213600
http://manatree.rrpicturearchives.net/s ... id=3213602

John D.