Railroad Forums 

• Sunday's JCRHS Show

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1025038  by Earle Baldwin

The Jersey Central Railway Historical Society held its annual show at Mother Seton High School in Clark this past Sunday. As usual, the event did not disappoint as it featured lots of nice folks buying, selling and trading many wonderful items not seen at most meets. The JCRHS gathering is a refreshing change from the majority of contemporary shows in this area which offer little in the way of railroadiana. I picked up a number of employee timetables, a CNJ/NY&LB rule book and a copy of the revised edition of Railpace's "Rails up the Raritan." In hindsight, I should have asked for some business cards and/or contact information as there were many additional items of interest but funds tightened up the longer I stayed there. Was anyone else from railroad.net in attendance?
 #1025103  by kilroy

I was collecting the cash at the door.

Glad you enjoyed it and hope others here did too. Next year's will be the first Sunday in March again.
 #1025113  by Jtgshu

Indeed, I was there, and quite happily picked up a numberboard from a CNJ RDC!

I think that is one of the best shows around, and its always a pleasure going to it, and seeing what good stuff is there, and not having to deal with the "toys" that other train shows seem to have more and more of each year.
 #1025178  by hazmatmess

Sounds like it was fun. Any other shows like this coming up in the NY/NJ area? And where was it advertised so I can try to remember for next year?
 #1025196  by TAMR213

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is Railpace publishing "Rails Up the Raritan" again? If so, what differences are there in this "revised" edition and the original? I am very proud to say that I was able to find and purchase an original print copy of "Rails Up the Raritan" on amazon.com a few years back.
 #1025227  by TAMR213

Whoops, answered my own question by visting Railpace's website :P Great to see this great book back in print. Any reviews on the new edition? Looks like its time to write a check to Railpace...
 #1025337  by Earle Baldwin

The revised edition of “Rails up the Raritan” is superb. The main text appears to be largely unchanged with improvements centered about the book’s photographic content. Most of the original issue’s black and white diesel era photographs have been replaced with color images. Also, the total number of images has increased so the revision contains in excess of twenty additional pages. Lastly, the revised edition is perfect bound which enhances the book’s visual appeal and structural integrity when compared to the stapling method used for the original release.

I recommend the book without hesitation. I purchased my copy from the group working to form the Raritan River Chapter of the NRHS. As part of the purchase, the organization requested an additional $20 donation for preservation of the Milltown station building which I was happy to make. I believe the only other exhibitor/vendor at the show selling the book was Railpace and all copies were gone in short order. I strongly suggest anyone contemplating the purchase of the updated book do so quickly. I was told the press run was very limited and, if the prices being commanded by the original edition are any indication, it’s not going to take long for the new run to sell out. As an aside, another Railpace title I would like to see released in an updated format is “Iron Horses Across the Garden State.” Published during the mid 80s, new material could include the substitution of color for some of the black and white content as well as additional images and text bringing the story into the post Conrail era.

Regarding upcoming shows in the area, there is a Greenberg show in Edison scheduled the weekend of March 31st. While the quality of Greenberg shows has diminished due to the inclusion of large amounts of non train “stuff”, there are several vendors who bring a good selection of paper items and books. Two which come to mind are Beth Marshall’s Public Delivery Track (lots of timetables) and Benjamin Bernhart’s Outer Station Project (books and assorted paper memorabilia). I hope this helps.
 #1025412  by kilroy

Jtgshu wrote:Indeed, I was there, and quite happily picked up a numberboard from a CNJ RDC!

I think that is one of the best shows around, and its always a pleasure going to it, and seeing what good stuff is there, and not having to deal with the "toys" that other train shows seem to have more and more of each year.
I saw a young lady holding a couple of number boards by the front door. Were they your's?
 #1025477  by Jtgshu

kilroy wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Indeed, I was there, and quite happily picked up a numberboard from a CNJ RDC!

I saw a young lady holding a couple of number boards by the front door. Were they your's?
Nah, not mine, the one I got was smaller, like 2/3 the size of a locomotive one, and I only got one! If I knew that was you at the door, I would have said hi :)
 #1025717  by kilroy

Jtgshu wrote:
kilroy wrote:

Nah, not mine, the one I got was smaller, like 2/3 the size of a locomotive one, and I only got one! If I knew that was you at the door, I would have said hi :)
There's always next year JT. I'll be at the door next year, God willing.
 #1026400  by painterman

Earle Baldwin wrote:I purchased my copy from the group working to form the Raritan River Chapter of the NRHS. As part of the purchase, the organization requested an additional $20 donation for preservation of the Milltown station building which I was happy to make.
Thanks so much for supporting our efforts to move and restore the RRRR Freight Station in Milltown.

We are already a formed and recognised chapter of the NRHS. I drove out to Urbana Ill last spring to pick up our charter.

We have our first quarterly business meeting of 2012 this Thursday - March 15th - it is open to the public - as all of our meetings are.

All of our meetings are at the Milltown Historical Society Museum 116 Main Street - Milltown, NJ. They start at 7pm sharp.
We also have monthly meetings.

We also incorporated as the Raritan River Rail Road Historical Society (RRRRHS) - a 501-3-c compliant non-profit organization.

Regards,

Rob Farrell
Vice President
Raritan River Chapter NRHS
 #1140901  by kilroy

Just a heads up to everyone that this year's show at Mother Seton will be held on Sunday, March 3, 2013. Doors open at 9 AM.

We will have a number of returning vendors and some new vendors as well. Admission is still a resonable $5.00 for adults, $10.00 for a family. Door prizes and a new operating train layout for the kiddies to operate (so dad can get some quality time with the vendors).

Hope to see everyone there.

Count DeMone