Railroad Forums 

• upturn in freight on RV line?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1229403  by ccutler

One correction...the switch to the BRI station from the LV line IS connected [now] on Google maps. But there is no activity on the line to the BRI transfer facility.
 #1327865  by ccutler

I took the RV Line to Somerville today and was happy to see four pellet covered hoppers at the siding in Plainfield. The Chimney Rock branch had a pile of new ties alongside it. Finderne and Bound Brook full of pellet cars as usual. Nothing else of note.
 #1349414  by ccutler

I was pleased to see two freight cars spotted at Somerville Lumber on the Chimney Rock branch. The track to the quarry is also done but not yet operational, and the associated road work looks completed.

I'm not sure the title of this thread still applies as I aven't seen new business on the line since the warehouses in Finderne started shipping a few years ago.
 #1436550  by ccutler

I rode by the Finderne warehouse last week. There were the usual 50+ covered hoppers in the SIT yard. But there were also two modern gondolas in the siding into the industry on the south side of the SIT yard. Does anyone have an idea of what they are shipping/receiving?
 #1436705  by many19

So I take the RVL everyday. I know BRI waste terminal was no longer receiving Garbage containers but lately I've seen at least 5 to 10 flat cars a week.
Is BRI getting back to the rail service for disposal.
Thanks
many19
 #1436712  by ccutler

Yes, in a big way. Sunday morning I saw a NS eastbound train at the Roycefield runner hauling 170 of the 20' trash containers labeled "Bridgewater Resources." I assume it's a weekly run. I think most of the trash is construction debris and paper/fiber but can't be sure.
 #1436718  by pdtrains

Not too sure what BRI has to do do with freight traffic on the RVL. Cars for them never touch the RVL main. They are on the ex-reading passenger main from Manville.
 #1436722  by many19

pdtrains wrote:Not too sure what BRI has to do do with freight traffic on the RVL. Cars for them never touch the RVL main. They are on the ex-reading passenger main from Manville.
I am sorry if I made a mistake on my explanation. I ride the train on the RVL. I know the BRI spur doe not connect with the old CNJ main line anymore. I was just making the observation that a large number of flats with the blue containers was being delivered there again.
Does anyone know the schedule for the trains in and out of BRI
Thank you
 #1436723  by many19

ccutler wrote:Yes, in a big way. Sunday morning I saw a NS eastbound train at the Roycefield runner hauling 170 of the 20' trash containers labeled "Bridgewater Resources." I assume it's a weekly run. I think most of the trash is construction debris and paper/fiber but can't be sure.
Do you have a schedule for their trains in and out of the spur
 #1436778  by ccutler

No sorry. I saw the train arriving early Sunday morning around 7:30am.

On the RVL, it appears that the shipper south of the SIT covered hopper yard in Finderne received another gondola by Sunday morning.
 #1438031  by ccutler

I drove on the Finderne avenue overpass on Sunday and saw 4 [!] gondolas in the south siding, along with the usual 75 or so plastic pellet covered hoppers that I believe act as warehousing there. What are they shipping in the gondolas? Anyone know?
 #1438041  by NYSW2300

ccutler wrote:I drove on the Finderne avenue overpass on Sunday and saw 4 [!] gondolas in the south siding, along with the usual 75 or so plastic pellet covered hoppers that I believe act as warehousing there. What are they shipping in the gondolas? Anyone know?
Can you get a car number?
 #1450197  by ccutler

I rode by Finderne avenue again and there were 5 empty black gondolas spotted in the siding, next to the spot where the 50-100 covered hoppers are kept. Unfortunately I forgot to check the car numbers...hopefully I will remember next time.
 #1450198  by ccutler

My guess is that the gondolas are bringing in dirt for a warehouse construction project that is west of the siding near Adamsville Road.