Railroad Forums 

• BASF Chemical plant to close??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#977785  by bk77

Regarding the H65 (or H74?), does it run on Sundays? If so, anyone know the Sunday schedule (sign up time and location, its usual routine, etc.)?? Now that I'm off on Sundays for the first time in years, I'm eager to go out and photograph the WASS which I've never done before....
 #977884  by IRN750

H74 is on duty at Allentown at 730am on Sundays depts. Allentown 9-930am. Depemding on train size when they get to Washington if they have a large train for Dover they will shove it off in the yard then switch BASF. If the train fits between the crossing and BASF they will stop and switch BASF then take the cars to the yard afterwards. The H74 will leave their power on the Old Road and taxi back to Allentown.
 #978195  by bk77

IRN750 wrote:H74 is on duty at Allentown at 730am on Sundays depts. Allentown 9-930am. Depemding on train size when they get to Washington if they have a large train for Dover they will shove it off in the yard then switch BASF. If the train fits between the crossing and BASF they will stop and switch BASF then take the cars to the yard afterwards. The H74 will leave their power on the Old Road and taxi back to Allentown.
Very cool. Thanks!
 #979127  by badorder

The h-65 did not switch BASF on Wednesday account there was nothing ordered to be done, also from a good intel, that ALL BASF cars for the Washington plant are being held at Allentown yard, pending, pending what???..I don't know.
 #979179  by blockline4180

badorder wrote:The h-65 did not switch BASF on Wednesday account there was nothing ordered to be done, also from a good intel, that ALL BASF cars for the Washington plant are being held at Allentown yard, pending, pending what???..I don't know.
The plant sounds shut down this evening!! Usually I hear a lot of hissing and noise, this is not the case tonight! Hope it doesn't mean anything!
 #979892  by bk77

I was out there today (Sunday). H74 still had nothing inbound for BASF, although they did switch the plant. Saw workers inside when I drove past the main gate, so the plant did seem somewhat active. For the record: H74 had 24 cars, mostly covered/cylinderical hoppers w/ 2 black tank cars and a Railbox car...
 #992313  by pdtrains

So any news about BASF? It's been 6 weeks since last report from anyone.

If it does. or has shut down, expect the washington job to be cut back to 2 days a week.. BASF is or was 3/4's of their work.

Or maybe a 2 day out and back to Lake Jct. That would get the M&E their cars quicker.
 #992432  by blockline4180

pdtrains wrote:So any news about BASF? It's been 6 weeks since last report from anyone.

If it does. or has shut down, expect the washington job to be cut back to 2 days a week.. BASF is or was 3/4's of their work.

Or maybe a 2 day out and back to Lake Jct. That would get the M&E their cars quicker.

Seems to be back up and running again pdtrains.... Wasn't offline for long.
 #992533  by bk77

I was in P-burg yesterday and talked to a guy who said he knows a couple guys who work at BASF, who told him they never heard anything about the plant closing. I also caught the H74 heading to Washington, the last 4 cars were the same tan colored tank cars that get delivered to BASF.

Based on all that it sounds like the plant is either not closing anytime soon or was nothing more than a rumor to begin with.
 #993723  by pdtrains

3 years off....anything could happen.
Their initial decision is probably that it is better to build new facilities in chemical friendly, labor unfriendly Louisiana, than upgrade facilities in NJ. OTOH, the facility in Washington is closer to the pharm plants up here....OTOOH, the chemicals that are
inbound to Washington, probably come from louisiana, anyway.

So H65 should remain as is for the foreseeable future. Saw it on tuesday EB...looked like a GP-38 and an SD-40....23 cars, including 6 tank cars for BASF
 #993728  by blockline4180

pdtrains wrote:3 years off....anything could happen.
Their initial decision is probably that it is better to build new facilities in chemical friendly, labor unfriendly Louisiana, than upgrade facilities in NJ. OTOH, the facility in Washington is closer to the pharm plants up here....OTOOH, the chemicals that are
inbound to Washington, probably come from louisiana, anyway.

So H65 should remain as is for the foreseeable future. Saw it on tuesday EB...looked like a GP-38 and an SD-40....23 cars, including 6 tank cars for BASF

I doubt it... The manufacturing Industry has been moving out of this state rapidly for a while now.....

That guy I talked to was right and everybody gets on my case for it!! I love it!!:-(

Get those pictures while you can!!
 #993742  by pdtrains

Did anyone ever tell you that you have simplistic answers to complex issues.
Do you know anything about the chemical industry?

I said ANYTHING could happen. Try to disprove that.
 #1476089  by blockline4180

riffian wrote:Did this plant ever finally close? Any plans for remediation of the property?
Yes, it's mostly closed as rail shipments ended last year. Sometimes I still see steam cracking, so there might still be some people there. Maybe?