Railroad Forums 

• The end of Public Service trolleys and streetcars

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1023756  by CarterB

Frank, GREAT collection. Thanks for posting and sharing with us! I didn't realize PSCT had a bridge over the Raritan at Amboy. The quality of those photos are superb compared
to many I have seen before.
 #1023766  by Jtgshu

CarterB wrote:Frank, GREAT collection. Thanks for posting and sharing with us! I didn't realize PSCT had a bridge over the Raritan at Amboy. The quality of those photos are superb compared
to many I have seen before.
I second that! Amazing pictures! Thanks for putting them up and sharing!
 #1479045  by CarterB

What trolley line/s operated through Kearny, NJ? There is a Utilities Commission notation of one having to build a bridge over a steam road there.
 #1479542  by Ken W2KB

CarterB wrote:What trolley line/s operated through Kearny, NJ? There is a Utilities Commission notation of one having to build a bridge over a steam road there.
I don't know the specific line designation, but it ran from Jersey City to Newark adjacent to the Newark-Jersey City Turnpike through the meadows. If one looks very carefully at the Wittpenn (Route 7) Bridge over the Hackensack River from Jersey City to Kearny the place where the tracks were at the juncture of the draw and fixed roadway, as well as if I recall correctly overhead bracket attachment points that held the trolley wire, can be seen. A replacement bridge has been under construction for some time so the time remaining to see the Wittpenn is limited. The Wittpenn opened around 1927 replacing an older bridge just to the north which was about where the new bridge is being built.

Google Maps view has a good shot of the place where the double tracks were in the roadway, the four spots in the expansion joint filled with concrete: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7406318 ... 312!8i6656
 #1480038  by umtrr-author

The shot of the trolley line in Chrome, part of Carteret, has to be among the rarest of the bunch. I'm trying to figure out where that could be but I doubt I'll have any luck. The building in the background is probably long gone.