Railroad Forums 

• Last operational steam loco on Pine Creek RR: where now?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1294252  by scottso699

GSC wrote:Tradition at work, Scott. A "real" brass bell has far better tone, and shear noise volume, than a steel bell. Listen sometime to a real church bell, and then listen to the "tink-tink-tink" of the steel bell on an NJT engine. Big difference.

Annoying perhaps, but you know the train is coming!
Never annoying to me! Music to my ears! And you are right now that I think about it... the NJT bells sound like clanking tin foil...
 #1294779  by Blackseal Jim

The 26 was never going to Strasburg. The 46 was . The 7751 blew her only traction motor in the spring. An outside crew came to fix it and the repairs that were done left the 7751 unable to pull the train up the hill. The 7751 was then shipped to a shop in Pa for more repairs and hasn't returned yet . Now the 45 is running on the rear truck only . Im not sure how long that truck assembly will hold up since it has more hours on than the front. During the 39's last few years of operation, the front generator went , so it ran on the rear only. In 2005 , we swapped the 39's trucks to the 45 since the 39's trucks were in better condition than 45's. BTW , when we swapped the trucks , we also swapped bells . 39's bell is on the 45 . it has a deeper tone.
Jim H
 #1302027  by CTL10D

From a post on RYPN: Without some major change in management, it sounds like steam is a dead issue. A fairly recent board shake up really removed anyone from the organization with a strong desire to see steam return to the rails. There is though a large contingent of ex-members who are looking to force some sort of change which would ultimately bring steam back. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of that.
 #1302630  by scottso699

Steam in the form of #26 and #6 was always a huge draw for that place. I know they still have pretty good attendance but getting #26 back in working order would be a huge boost for them. I love going there - we ride with my Kids almost twice a month - but when it comes to train rides - anyone can ride behind a diesel. I know they just got 7751 back but #45 is is bad shape and having an operating steam engine and charging more to ride behind it could really boost their bank accounts.
 #1309724  by ApproachMedium

When I was a kid growing up in howell we used to ride behind those trains all the time. I remember sometimes driving past the place going home from the beach if we saw the steam smoke up mom would pull in and take us for a ride. When we stopped seeing the steam smoke, we stopped going in. You really would be surprised how much steam attracts younger kids. Dont believe me? Hundreds of people visiting Strasbourg cant be wrong, along with all the other many successful steam ventures operating in the country big and small.
 #1309872  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I must agree. How many people who show up to the Bel Del Polar Express trips are disappointed to find diesel instead of #142 ? I would guess there are some,especially if they don't read the web site carefully. I'm heading down to New Hope to get some shots of their train today IF it isn't running behind diesel power.STEAM RULES!!! :wink:
I have video of #26 from 2001 and I love watching it all these years later. I was there for several hours and got so many different angles you wouldn't know that the track is actually going around in a circle.
 #1309876  by CNJ Fan 4evr

CTL10D wrote:From a post on RYPN: Without some major change in management, it sounds like steam is a dead issue. A fairly recent board shake up really removed anyone from the organization with a strong desire to see steam return to the rails. There is though a large contingent of ex-members who are looking to force some sort of change which would ultimately bring steam back. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of that.
Is it $$$$$$ that is the issue? I know it is with most all organizations anymore. Manpower is another issue.
 #1310206  by CTL10D

The issue isn`t so much with money, as it is a willful lack of interest and effort to bring steam back to Pine Creek. Several key people on the current Board of Trustees hate steam, hate the people who were involved with steam, and hate that so many members/customers inquire about steam. Its basically boils down to laziness as well, and this is apparent in many aspects of the railroad. Instead of always striving to improve, and make the place a great experience for families, current board members are content with 1 diesel (yes, thats about all thats left at this point) going around in circles and making enough money to survive. Certain people in high positions spend more time playing solitaire on the company computer than they do maintaining equipment. 4 major projects are left unfinished right now, 2 of them being 10+ years. Anyone who had skills that were useful at the railroad have been driven away by the ridiculousness, and I`m talking tens of people at this point. Whats left now are a few people who control everything, and some puppets who punch tickets on the train. Only when paying customers start voicing their disgust with the organization, may things possibly change.
 #1310217  by Ken W2KB

kilroy wrote:The cost of maintaining steam given the current FRA regs on steam make it cost prohibitive for most operations.
It is my understanding that Pine Creek is not regulated by the FRA since it is an "insular" operation and does not have public road grade crossings, etc. That said, any steam locomotive owner/operator who did not comply with all steam locomotive regulations on a voluntary basis would be in my opinion foolish from a crew and public safety standpoint. The FRA steam locomotive regulations were substantially updated some 10 or 15 years ago to eliminate unnecessary burdens. One major change for example, is basing major inspections, etc. on operating days rather than elapsed time, so that major inspection intervals are much greater for operators who do not operate continuously.
 #1310221  by ApproachMedium

CTL10D wrote:The issue isn`t so much with money, as it is a willful lack of interest and effort to bring steam back to Pine Creek. Several key people on the current Board of Trustees hate steam, hate the people who were involved with steam, and hate that so many members/customers inquire about steam. Its basically boils down to laziness as well, and this is apparent in many aspects of the railroad. Instead of always striving to improve, and make the place a great experience for families, current board members are content with 1 diesel (yes, thats about all thats left at this point) going around in circles and making enough money to survive. Certain people in high positions spend more time playing solitaire on the company computer than they do maintaining equipment. 4 major projects are left unfinished right now, 2 of them being 10+ years. Anyone who had skills that were useful at the railroad have been driven away by the ridiculousness, and I`m talking tens of people at this point. Whats left now are a few people who control everything, and some puppets who punch tickets on the train. Only when paying customers start voicing their disgust with the organization, may things possibly change.
This is exactly why I never got involved. I went there with two friends a few years ago after not being there since I was a kid. I saw something that needed help, i wanted to help. But once I heard about all the politics and BS, I decided I had enough of that with my model railroad club that I recently left for the same reasons and stayed away from it.
 #1310229  by Blackseal Jim

When I started volunteering at NJMT in 96 , the Shay , lady Edith , 50t GE`s 45 & 39 ,25t GE 7751 , Plymouth mechanicals #1 & # 5 all ran and the 26 was under restoration. Today , only the 7751 & the 5 are 100% functional and the 5 is too small to pull the train. Its disturbing to see what has happened in 19 years . Even if they had steam ,theres no one to run it. None of the NJ licenced boiler operators volunteer anymore . Nothing gets repaired in the shop anymore , the 7751 was repaired by an outside crew and the 45 still has the front traction motor in need of replacement. In 97 , we did everything including sweating new drivers onto the 26. I stopped volunteering in 2008 . Im still a life member & my Blackseal is current, but runaway management has made it more attractive to stay home on Sundays. Just read the NJMT Facebook page , paying customers are dissatisfied now.
 #1310864  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I hate to say it but this is going to continue happening. People are too self-absorbed anymore. I help a group out periodically when I can . We have a few die- hards but not enough to complete all the projects we have. Another factor is working knowledge.Most can use a shovel or paint brush but not many can tear mechanical things apart and get them working again. The people that can do that are a rare find.
Age is a major issue form people I have spoken to. The older ones are dying or in poor health and there just aren't any younger ones taking their place.Most,not all, young people are too into their electronic devices to care about keeping a piece of railroad history alive for the future.If we could keep even 10% of the kids who patronize the train ride attractions interested in railroading that would be a major accomplishment. Somewhere between the elementary school years and college most kids lose their interest in trains. I know I did for the most part.I regained my intrest after realizing what Conrail destroyed. For some it happens after marriage,job,etc.
The politics are another factor. I know some out there won't want to hear this but it is the truth. Cliques can be the death of any group or organization.A few people against this idea or another discourage the rest. The next thing you know you lose members and can't keep new ones. I know I was out of any groups for about 6 years or more because of one or two people that had to b*tch about every little thing and how they thought it should be done. You now what happened? The stuff still sits,waiting to be done.
I won't even get into money. Without that you can forget doing anything.Period!