Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned Trains in New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#868195  by clburton

If anyone knows about old and abandoned trains throughout New Jersey, please post as much information about them as you know. This information could include the location, type, any information that would be needed to access the car, or more. Thank you.
 #868497  by RRSignal2

I seem to remember back in the mid 90s when I was doing primary flight training flying over the south Burlington and/or Camden County area and seeing lots of long strings of abandoned-looking cars parked, many if not mostly passenger cars. It could have been further south but that's how I remember it. This was around the time I started getting back into railfanning but, unfortunately, I never attempted at the time to find out where these lines were and what equipment was parked due to other rail-related distractions.
 #868510  by GSC

I'm not sure how much equipment is technically "abandoned". A lot of out-of-service cars and locos are scattered around the state, but it all belongs to somebody. Most are parked to at least preserve them, whether they will ever be restored or not.

Maybe here and there you might find a forgotten wheelset or truck somewhere, but as far as abandoned equipment, I don't think there is much out there that doesn't belong to some person or group.
 #868523  by JimBoylan

RRSignal2 wrote:I seem to remember back in the mid 90s when I was doing primary flight training flying over the south Burlington and/or Camden County area and seeing lots of long strings of abandoned-looking cars parked, many if not mostly passenger cars. It could have been further south but that's how I remember it.
Other posts have mentioned the collections stored on the Southern Railroad of New Jersey at Winslow Jct., in the SouthEast corner of Atlantic county.
 #868947  by clburton

yeah when i meant abandoned i also meant placed. So if you know of any rail cars not in use, abandoned, or just placed just give the information.
thanks.
 #869044  by nikcap

I'm not sure if this is exactly what your looking for.
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=54865
There where a log of good response to this thread.

While not really abandoned, perhaps it's something you'd be interested in.

As for actually abandoned, there used to be an legitimately abandoned boxcar near Lambertville.
Anyone know if that's still there?
 #869137  by Mr. Ed

Now those cars in Boonton are truly abandonded! Only way to get them out is by crane. But who wants them? The last thing that was discussed on the internet was that they are supposed to have been cut up two or three years ago. The last time I was by there which was a month or so ago, they were still sitting there rusting quietly.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #869190  by clburton

i know about the ones in lambertville, in the bing and google maps photos they are still there. I have been to boonton. Does anybody know when there are people in the yard to maybe give like a tour? Is the yard in Ringos fenced off, or can you just walk in and take pics?

FYI, somewhere in Lambertville there is an abandoned high school, if you guys are not just interested in trains.
 #869206  by Otto Vondrak

clburton wrote:If anyone knows about old and abandoned trains throughout New Jersey, please post as much information about them as you know. This information could include the location, type, any information that would be needed to access the car, or more. Thank you.
Why are you trying to gain access to abandoned train cars?
 #869655  by clburton

not access in, just to take pictures. Thats usually what my pictures are of, trains or train stations. I mean trains mean a lot, I would never destroy them.
 #869945  by Pete

There is what seems to be a derelict boxcar on a siding next to the building The Record is vacating on River Street in Hackensack, where the NYSW crosses.
 #870026  by airman00

That boxcar, near the Record building in Hackensack has been there for years. Don't know how many years, but quite a long time. I asked about that boxcar once on this forum and nobody seemed to know anything about that car. My guess is that it's not abandoned, just got left behind or stored there and railroad never bothered to come back and get it. But since it has sat there all by itself for years, just one single car rusting away it's probably as close to being abandoned as possible. But someone once said, no railroad car is really ever abandoned, owned by someone whether a historical society or a private owner or business, or the railroad company itself.
 #870159  by Kaback9

I guess I'll add to this mess. There is an old Lehigh Valley Boxcar being used by a local business in South Plainfield.