Railroad Forums 

• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1124239  by Ken W2KB

Trainlawyer wrote:The plant is being converted to natural gas over the next few years. The pipe is going to use its own right-of-way from Millville. There is no plan to remove the railroad. Would you mind telling us where you read that?

GME
The station's last coal unit is scheduled for shut down not later than May of 2015. The cost to South Jersey Gas to acquire a new right of way for the pipeline would be substantial. Easements over existing rail or electric transmission rights of way are far less costly, and avoid the need for eminent domain, some nimbys, wetlands issues, Pinelands Commission issues, etc. The NJBPU also prefers using existing rights of way (far less political sensitivity). My educated guess is that South Jersey will for those reasons want to use the rail right of way, at least from Tuckahoe, for those reasons. Given, if I am correct that there are no other customers on the line, I suspect that the railroad will be willing to negotiate.
 #1124392  by alewifebp

No real reason it can't be shared. I believe in Roxbury, NY, at the end of the U&D track, they have a NYC water tunnel running under the tracks for some portion. That portion is built to accommodate the potential for limited rail service to run over that.
 #1124564  by Ken W2KB

alewifebp wrote:No real reason it can't be shared. I believe in Roxbury, NY, at the end of the U&D track, they have a NYC water tunnel running under the tracks for some portion. That portion is built to accommodate the potential for limited rail service to run over that.
Agree that rights of way if wide enough can be shared and commonly are. However, especially with hazmat pipelines such as natural gas, sharing may increase construction and maintenance costs for both pipeline and railroad. From what I understand the line from Tuckahoe to the generating station does not have any other freight business, and is minimally maintained for the coal trains. The railroad may want to sell the property to avoid maintenance, taxes, potential tort liability, and so forth once the coal business disappears. There is also a need for reinforcement of electric transmission in that area; it is possible that Atlantic City Electric might find the right of way attractive as well. In either case it may be possible to preserve the potential for reuse as a rail line if the right of way is wide enough.
 #1129592  by dlagrua

I guess the real question is what can be done in 2013 to restore the damaged trackage to get the CMSL moving South again? Does this terrible act of vandalism signal a permanent end to train service to Cape May or is there a solution? Several years back there were track crews working to restore the line when it was damaged so I hope that we will see this again. Only time will tell.
 #1130619  by glennk419

Looks like Motormouth Mike Voll got his signs....
State Department of Transportation (DOT) Commissioner Jim S. Simpson has approved Lower Township’s request for “Exempt Crossing” status for the railroad crossings at Breakwater and Tabernacle roads between Seashore Road and Route 9.
Full story: http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/arti ... c-comments
 #1180956  by bluedash2

As an FYI,the Saturday May 11 trips are on. The Sunday May 12th trips are not. The VRA who is running this trip made the decision to cancel Sunday. I was told few tickets were even sold for Sunday. It being Mother's Day probably hurt plus a lot of railfans will be out of town for the National Train Day displays.
 #1180958  by bluedash2

northjerseybuff wrote:Any plans to run into Cape May this year?
Yes. As of now, they are putting all of their efforts to get into Cape May sometime this summer. That track theft really hurt though.