Railroad Forums 

• Closter northern branch observations...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1275764  by airman00

Something was going on today in Closter, NJ on the Northern Branch. In my work travels I passed thru closter and saw several guys in yellow safety vests and hard hats inspecting the track and crossings. I saw them by at least 3 of the crossings and also inbetween them. They weren't from csx they were from a utility company. Now I know there is some roadwork scheduled to commence in closter in the next couple of weeks, so perhaps they were checking the crossings because of that. However that wouldn't explain why they seemed to also be inspecting track inbetween the crossings as well, which leads me to think maybe making utility markouts for some trackwork?
 #1325227  by Erie Limited

Since there was a discussion of Sparkill and the north end of the line on the last page (from a few years ago), I thought I'd post a link to a photo that I recently re-discovered in my collection.

Conrail NB-51 on the Sparkill Wye in June, 1987:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=526313

I've been scanning some of my older images and had almost forgotten about this. If anyone is interested, I have some other views of the wye taken on that day that I will eventually upload. I noticed that there aren't a lot of photos online from this area during the Conrail era (or any era, for that matter).

Rob
 #1407836  by airman00

Completely by accident, I happened to stumble upon an online petition looking to have the northern branch from Tenafly to Closter turned into a bicycle path and running path. The petition also mentions the possibility of eventually going further and connecting with the existing trail in New York State, so from Tenafly to Piermont would be all trail.

I really hope that NEVER happens...
 #1407945  by Steve F45

airman00 wrote:Completely by accident, I happened to stumble upon an online petition looking to have the northern branch from Tenafly to Closter turned into a bicycle path and running path. The petition also mentions the possibility of eventually going further and connecting with the existing trail in New York State, so from Tenafly to Piermont would be all trail.

I really hope that NEVER happens...

im guessing the bicycle people want this? I can't stand them up in that area. They act like they own the dam roads.