Railroad Forums 

• LV 112 to Ringoes

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#791530  by Ken W2KB

Here's six photos I took April 3, 2010 at her new home in Ringoes, NJ.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 1&start=15

They are posted in the BRRHT thread since that's where she now lives.
 #791628  by wolfboy8171981

LV 112 Owner wrote:Wolfboy sniffed me out, yes this was an April Fools joke.

You know, Wolfboy, you sniffed me out on the night of a full moon!! HMMM.

Scott

Funny how that seems to happen......... Glad to be of service to you on Friday.
 #831901  by LV 112 Owner

After a couple of years of prep work in Tennessee and 4 months of labor here in New Jersey, followed by fits and starts and a scary runaway, LV 112 came back to life Friday afternoon.

This start-up would not have been possible without the help of Don Lachenauer, Frank Conlon, James O’Connor, and Eric Levin. I owe them all heartfelt thanks for their help and love of railroad preservation.

We had fun putting 112 back together. Here are some of the memorable quotes:

In Rockwood, Tennessee, Don Lachenauer, auto repair business owner, after an engine hood fell on his head while he was closing it: “See, I told you my head was harder than that hood.”

James O’Connor, tractor trailer diesel mechanic, while we where trying to service the starting relay: “Wow! Look at that yellow smoke!”

Frank Conlon, fellow railroader from the Black River and Western and a Lehigh Valley fan: “This is really cool!”

And finally, Eric Levin, after being asked about a particular engine component: “It still has that?!”

Without these guys, 112 would not have started on Friday. Thank You!

We still have more to do before we can dig into a paint job, but we cleared a huge hurdle by getting her running.

Check out http://www.prrllc.com for a couple of neat videos of the start up process, including a scary runaway.

Scott Kwiatkowski
Pennsy Railcar Restorations LLC
 #869701  by LV 112 Owner

Just thought I would give a update on 112.

Well after getting 112 moving on her own we started to address things like the missing voltage regulator. We put one in and that lead us to the Negative voltage leak to frame, fixed that.

Replace the 60 year old burnt up wheel slip relay with a modern one. Now going to class it an SW1 Dash-2, just kidding.

Replaced one Battery field contractor planning to replace the other

Working on updating the Low Oil Pressure Shutdown system.

Removed the headlights to restore and do some re-wiring found that the radiators where pretty rough. So we pulled them out, what a job. Right up there with disconnecting-reconnecting traction motor leads with out a pit!

Instilling new headlight resistors, the original ones that could be used as toaster elements belong in the Smithsonian.

An easy one was to just put the fuse back in for the gauge lights and they worked.

Started reconditioning some of the cab interior panels, they are real close to an Oliver tractor green with natural white Oak trim. Also, waiting for the front windows from the glass shop. I am putting Part 223 FRA Glazing back in.

Hmmm, that's about it for now.

Scott
 #869887  by Jtgshu

Yes, thanks for the update! Its so cool to see a loco rescued like you did with the 112 - and those videos of it are great!

Keep up the great work, and hope to see some more pics and videos soon!
 #870180  by Donko142

Looks like your doing a great job ( Like always ) Scott. Good luck, yell if there's anything we can help with. When were both done we should have a system wide diesel day. "The rebirth of the once dead diesels" Again looks great.

DC
 #1029043  by LV 112 Owner

Well!!!

It has been a dizzying couple of years since 112 came to NJ.

We have logged in almost 3000 man hours on this little critter and nothing but top notched help from a small group of merry men, THANK YOU! Many a late night in Ringoes trying to get to the point at which we will be in a couple of weeks and that is starting the Blue Card process and then sea trials.

A couple of highlights;

Installing radiators in a snow storm.

Pulling the muffler and fabricating all new manifold hold downs.

Disassembling and reassembling the whole dry sump oil systems.

Putting in new floor boards out of maple.

Just to name a few.

For more up to date info and photos check out “LV 112” on Facebook. I am very grateful to a certain Conrail dispatcher for maintaining the Facebook page.

Look for 112 to be pounding the rails soon in its current LV paint scheme for a while until all the bugs are worked out and then we will start the as-built paint job at a later date.

Scott
 #1029223  by wolfboy8171981

Thanks for the plug, I think. Although still early in the game, a LV,Erie, GW Photo Freight is still possible.
 #1043680  by LV 112 Owner

Black River Railroad Historical Trust is having a caboose & vintage freight train display this Saturday at the station in Flemington in support of National Train Day.

On hand will be a newly restored B&O Wagon Top C-2440, an Erie Bay Window C-330, a Maine Central Cupola 645, an NYC Bay Window, a Wabash Cupola, & a PRR Cabin Car.

Most of the cabooses will be open for tours and the owners will be on hand to share about their restoration efforts.

We will also have a vintage freight train on display with Lehigh Valley SW1 112, which will be hauling all the cabooses to Flemington.

Display will be up from 11 am till 4 pm and is Free.

For more info visit http://www.flemingtontrain.org/nationalTrainDay.html
 #1045477  by photorailfan

Was at Ringoes yard on saturday before the equipment move to Flemington. What a treat to see the newly aquired Erie SW9. The lehigh valley sounded sweet.