Railroad Forums 

• Remains of a siding near Stewartsville

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#771874  by pierrerabbit

I was travelling on Rt 519 heading South in Warren County. After crossing Rt 57, just ahead is the tunnel which takes the road underneath the Washington Secondary. Just feet before the tunnel, I looked to the left and saw the remains of an old track bed which appears to come off of the main. On the right is the remains of a bridge abutment. Anyone have a clue to what the track was used for? I looked on Historic Aerials and couldn't find anything.

If you want to find the location, look up Port Warren NJ on Google maps.
 #771894  by NYS&W142Fan

I believe that was the original alignment until traffic warrented the larger tunnels/fill to be built. They had a situation where they needed to cross a road and the Lopatcong creek in a tight area. (the Lopatcong Creek was used a feeder to the Morris Canal) I was told by a old timer there was a single track bridge there to keep traffic moving while they constructed the level fill.
 #771944  by njtrainspotter

The lower roadbed was the Easton & Washington Traction Co. trolley line from Phillipsburg to Port Colden,just a few miles east of Washington. Opened in 1906 and went through Washington down the middleof what is now Rt 57.
 #776981  by dlagrua

I believe that at one time the CRNJ or LVRR railroad tracks crossed what is now RT 78 in the Stewartsville area. When the highway was completed in the 1980's I believe all track connections that would have gone across the highway were severed or rerouted.