Railroad Forums 

• Official Black River Railroad Historic Trust Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1372516  by njtmnrrbuff

Just imagine someday being about to do an "across the Delaware" transfer from the Black River and Western RR to the New Hope & Ivyland Scenic Railroad. Well, you would probably have to take a short walk from where the BR&W lets you off in Lambertville across the Delaware to New Hope.
 #1386700  by ccutler

Slightly OT, but I figured this thread's followers would know:

There is a new siding to a cement plant just east of Flemington. Is this potential customer intending to ship on BRW?

I also drove through Three Bridges today and was pleased to see a lumber centerbeam car in the mix, meaning a relatively new customer for BRW.

Thanks for any insights.
 #1386742  by NYSW2300

The cement plant has shipped 2 outbound loads last month, but nothing currently in the pipeline short term.
The trucking company that has a trans load operation in Ringoes has been receiving cars since 2011, the lumber in not new.
 #1386881  by brwfan

Did they complete the siding into the concrete plant or load in ringoes? When riding the other day didn't see the for sale sign at the old Flemington concrete plant, did it get sold or maybe I just missed it? If it's sold maybe that could be a new customer. Also still no cars at the former bemis plant, I'm guessing they have to be up and running by now? Maybe just shipping by truck?
 #1387084  by Ken W2KB

brwfan wrote:Went for a ride today, seemed like a pretty good sized crowd. Is there going to be any three bridges excursions this summer?
Yes, no and maybe. See:http://www.vratrips.org/brw-photo-freig ... photo.html
 #1387473  by ccutler

If you go to maps.google.com, type in Flemington NJ, and select the satellite view, you can follow the tracks NE out of town and see where the new siding is into the new concrete facility.

Bemis shut down and does not look likely to reopen.
 #1387496  by brwfan

I'm very familiar with the concrete company, my dad works in the building next to them, but last had been up there the siding didn't go all the way in like it was supposed to. Maybe they finished it on load from the field? The old bemis plant was bought by a company selling Himalayan salt products. I think they just use it as a warehouse. I had read that they were going to ship by rail but I haven't seen any cars on the siding(s). Atleast the concrete plant had shipped some loads, if the siding is into the plant they could get Raw materials in- stone and cement and ship finished products out.
 #1391498  by ccutler

Here is a photo from just outside the new [veteran-owned, according to sign] cement plant. Those huge concrete blocks, about 4' high, are all over the place. They would be ideal for shipping by rail because of their heavy weight.