Railroad Forums 

• URHS of NJ Preservation News

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1173412  by FullScale4Me

fullscale4me wrote:NOTE: the paragraphs below may have been extracted from the Volunteer Railroaders Association Inc. news blog two sections - meeting minutes and newsletters. Other times the posting is a direct extract of the URHS monthly meeting minutes.

The brevity below is not to be assumed as the full monthly report on any given topic (it was presented as a summary to the member group). Since the beginnings of the URHS the delegates can expand on most questions forwarded to them. Reach out to the delegate for your particular group or railroad interest.

Further information and in some cases short Q&A discussions on URHS topics occasionally happen on the URHS of NJ facebook page. Several railfans prefer to post their photos of the URHS collection to facebook rather than here. We respect and support their choice.
April 2013
Steve Gerritsen (URHS Yard Forman) has a number of cars he would like to get painted and presentable for the 2013 Open House as well as paint & repairs to prime mover on the GE 100-tonner. The 2013 restoration list:
  • Pennsylvania Railroad Flat car - #469521
  • Delaware, Lackawanna & Western RR Cement Car (hopper) - #19525
  • Swift Company Refrigerated Box Car - SRLX #025048
  • General Elextric 100-tonner - PSE&G #100
Open House 9/22/13 – our proposed date has been cleared with the Freight House & Boonton Mayor. Approval by NJ Transit (& possibly others) is needed to make this event date official.
Election of Officers – At this meeting KC Smith has accepted the nomination as President.

March 2013
Hickory Creek & NYC 43 - cars will be at Grand Central Terminal NYC for National Train Day (5/11/2013).
Election of Officers – At this meeting we elected Carolyn Hoffman for Secretary, Fred Heide as Treasurer, Larry Gross as VP of Operations and Ken Brown as VP of Legal and General Counsel. URHS Board Officers: Vice President & General Counsel: Kenneth D. Brown, Esq., Vice President - Operations: Larry Gross, Treasurer: Fred Heide, Secretary: Carolyn Hoffman
Ken_W2KB wrote:With respect to some information being withheld, that would typically be specific information on negotiations for sites, leases, contracts, or legal matters that no prudent organization of any sort would disclose prior to reaching conclusion. These negotiations are generally performed by the officers and/or one or more directors individually or in committee depending on the specifics. To disclose sensitive and confidential information prematurely could severely compromise URHS' endeavors or result in forestalling equipment preservation and site acquisition efforts.

Kenneth D. Brown, Esq. - Vice President & General Counsel URHS - Black River Railroad Historical Trust Delegate
 #1180690  by larry1090

http://vratrips.org/NDT-May-11th-more-info.html

Seating on the train is very limited and is sure to sell fast, so order your tickets today.

Tickets for the National Train Day excursion at the Cape May Seashore Lines are now on sale! The train will be using historic Central Railroad of NJ GP-7 1523 and Pensylvania Railroad GP-9 7000 pulling vintage and fully restored coaches built in 1950, a Tavern Lounge car #37 built in 1947 [ dining end | service end ] and a full Parlor Car 'Good Vibrations'.

These unique trains will depart from the Tuckahoe railroad station at 10 am, 12 noon and 2 pm. They will run north to beyond Milmay and turn back; returning to Tuckahoe about 60 minutes later.

At Tuckahoe the beautifully restored Reading Railroad station, built in 1894, now a railroad museum, and the Reading switch tower will be open for all to enjoy Tuckahoe tower levers. Free admission to both! Also at Tuckahoe is a great variety of equipment like: an ex Conrail RS3m , Lehigh Valley Railroad F7a # 576 , Lehigh Valley Railroad F7a # 578 and many Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines M-410 Cape May Seashore Lines M-407 Cape May Seashore Lines M-402 passenger cars. Some of this equipment operates, like Cape May Seashore Lines M-410 and some await restoration like Ex New Jersey Transit 5189. Most are owned by the United Railroad Historical Society URHS equipment & more URHS equipment, who is sponsoring these trains in conjunction with the Volunteer Railroaders Association.

The proceeds of these trips will go to the continued effort to help preserve New Jersey's rich railroad history. So please come out for this unique trip! You’ll have a great day traveling through the Pinelands, riding America’s most unusual train, and seeing railroad buildings and artifacts from the golden days of railroading in New Jersey!

There are three fares for this trip. Standard coach is $18 adults and $15 for children under 12. In the Tavern Lounge Car (#37 from the world famous New York Central Railroad's Commodore Vanderbilt) the fare for everyone including children is $28 and includes one drink & one snack per ticket, (additional available for purchase within the car). The fare in the deluxe parlor car Good Vibrations is $33 for everyone including children and includes continuously served snacks and drinks.

To purchase tickets or for more information go on-line to: http://www.vratrips.org/ and click on the appropriate button. Additional information is also available on-line at the URHS website: http://www.URHS.org/ or by calling 973-238-0555
 #1182548  by larry1090

larry1090 wrote:SAVE THE DATE JUNE 1'ST !!!! MORE INFO TO COME VERY VERY SOON !!!! NYC 43 AND HICKERY CREEK TRIP
 #1183234  by larry1090

JUNE 1'st. come Ride the Rails. We should have times and Train # later today. wating for Amtrak to confirm the info. depart will be out of NY Penn in the AM.
 #1184120  by larry1090

larry1090 wrote:JUNE 1'st. come Ride the Rails. We should have times and Train # later today. wating for Amtrak to confirm the info. depart will be out of NY Penn in the AM.

#233: NYP > 11:20A - - - - - ALB > 1:50P
#244: ALB > 4:20P - - - - - - NYP > 6:50P
BUY Tickets -- more info http://urhs.org/HC-43-special.html
 #1184122  by larry1090

http://urhs.org/HC-43-special.html

Special Excursion
The famous Hickory Creek will be featured on “Tricked Out Trains” on The Travel Channel.
Come ride in classic style aboard this historic car from New York to Albany and back on June 1, 2013 as the show is filmed!
Scheduled trains for this excursion will be:

#233: NYP > 11:20A - - - - - ALB > 1:50P
#244: ALB > 4:20P - - - - - - NYP > 6:50P

Tickets are $200 each for the Hickory Creek and $150 each for the NYC #43 Tavern Lounge car. Both round-trip fares include meal service. A limited number of tickets will be sold!

PLEASE NOTE: Dress code for this trip will be Business Casual, with a sport jacket preferred for gentlemen. All passengers will be asked to sign a release to appear on television.
 #1196636  by kilroy

Great news. Looking forward to it even more now.

Are there any bridges where weight could be a problem or curve radius that is too tight along the line? I'd hae for them to find out 09/21 that there's an issue with the ROW that prevents them from getting the unit there.
 #1196639  by Ken W2KB

kilroy wrote:Great news. Looking forward to it even more now.

Are there any bridges where weight could be a problem or curve radius that is too tight along the line? I'd hae for them to find out 09/21 that there's an issue with the ROW that prevents them from getting the unit there.
Given that the line is part of NS's operating system, NS would have the info and I would expect that it would have checked for those issues before agreeing to display the unit. That said, like you, hope it go smoothly.
 #1203684  by FullScale4Me

fullscale4me wrote:NOTE: Further information and in some cases short Q&A discussions on URHS topics occasionally happen on the URHS of NJ facebook page. Several railfans prefer to post their photos of the URHS collection to facebook rather than here. We respect and support their choice.
Below is a copy/paste of the United Railroad Historical Society of New Jersey website section 'URHS News' see http://urhs.org/

July 2013
The URHS Volunteers had another productive work session at the yard today. Plans are finalized for the URHS Transit Fest on Sunday September 22nd. The restor­ation continues on Bill McKelvey's 45T GE locomotive (below) and the yard is being cleaned up for guests. The GG1 4877 is also now wired for new lighting, and new windows will be going in soon. Our GG-1 will do every­thing but run! Stay tuned for information about a night photo shoot with our equipment, and with our special guest!
Image Image

June 2013
Hudson Limited excursion: a ride in classic style aboard the historic cars Hickory Creek and New York Cen­tral Railroad Tavern Lounge #43 from New York City to Albany & back on 6/1 & 6/2. On Saturday 6/1 the Hickory Creek was a host of a crew filming a segment of “Tricked Out Trains” to be featured in the future on The Travel Channel. The Empire Service trains were #233 & #244. Pictures on facebook: Hudson Limited 6-2-2013

May 2013
Did you hear the arm twisting from your house? Are you thinking what is he talking about? Well.... After Frank Reilly made clear he was not looking to run for the President’s position of the URHS again a few long time representatives approached me about doing the job. At first I said no, but after seeing that no one else was going to do it and believe it or not my wife, Carol, suggested that maybe I should do it, I consented although with a few caveats. The first is that I will only do the job for one year and the second that the URHS elect a few Vice Presidents and allow me to appoint others when needed to keep the time I need to spend on the job to a minimum. Well they agreed and at the April meeting I was elected President.

So now what? Well we now have Larry Gross as Operations VP, Ken Brown as VP and General Counsel, the VRA’s own Carolyn Hoffman as Secretary and Fred Heide as Treasurer and together we will work towards making sure the URHS has a successful year. But these people cannot do the work alone, it is going to take all of the other representatives and most importantly the member groups own members to see the URHS succeed. So when the time comes I ask you all to help when you can, it is not only rewarding it is also a heck of a lot of fun and you get to meet some good people.

As for current projects, we have 2 National Train Day events, the first is the one on the Cape May Seashore Lines (mentioned in the VP’s Report and elsewhere) and the second is that our 2 restored and Amtrak operational cars, the Hickory Creek and NYC 43, will be in Grand Central Terminal to take part in the 100th anniversary celebration taking place on May 10th through the 12th. If you are unable to join us on the CMSL be sure to take part of a day and go visit Grand Central.

Boonton yard should be busy this spring and summer as we get ready for our open house on September 22nd. Our yard foremen Steve Gerritsen and Larry Gross have plans to work on the Pennsylvania Railroad Flat car - #469521, Delaware, Lackawanna & Western RR Cement Car (hopper) - #19525, Swift Company Refrigerated Box Car - SRLX #025048 and get the second prime mover in the General Electric 100-tonner - PSE&G #100 running again.

The Site Committee has been hard at work looking at potential sites and hopes to have a location or multiple locations picked out to start working on in the coming months. In the meantime, the Heritage Trail committee is working on collection data on various historical rail sites around NJ in hopes of creating multiple self-guided tours.

The URHS is looking into the sale and lease of a few of its passenger cars and if that happens there will be a need for volunteers to help prepare the cars to leave Boonton. As with all the other projects, volunteers are the back bone of anything they do and your help is requested and appreciated.

One final item, the gentleman who has volunteered for many years to do the URHS’s taxes has asked that he be relieved of his duties. So a new accountant is needed, preferably one who will volunteer their time. If you know of anyone who fits that job description let me know.

See you around the railroad,
KC Smith

Boonton Yard Highlights
By Steve Gerritsen

It’s been a productive couple of months to start 2013 in the yard. There was a meeting to discuss projects for the year, out of which came a plan to finish the PRR flat car, restore the DL&W cement hopper, and hopefully a paint job on the 100 tonner. Along with that for the 100 tonner, the charging system should be figured out and reinstalled, and we have been able to un-seize the one engine, so we are one step closer to rebuilding it. A handful of us were on hand one weekend to really tackle the downed trees from the last few storms and made a huge dent it them.

I am going to make a big effort to get most of the supplies needed for these projects donated to these projects. If anyone would like to donate their time in the yard to help out, or donate to these projects please contact me. All help is greatly appreciated as I would like to finish these before the next open house this September!