Railroad Forums 

• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1477354  by pumpers

One more thing. From Google maps, the westernmost active customer on the Delco lead looks to be on Jersey Ave, about 1/2 mile west of the NJT Jersey Ave station. It has a 3 track yard and a few dozen covered hoppers I see and looks like perhaps a transfer station (for garbage??), although the aerial photo seems a bit too tidy for that. Who knows what it is? Thanks, Jim S
 #1477587  by OportRailfan

pumpers wrote:One more thing. From Google maps, the westernmost active customer on the Delco lead looks to be on Jersey Ave, about 1/2 mile west of the NJT Jersey Ave station. It has a 3 track yard and a few dozen covered hoppers I see and looks like perhaps a transfer station (for garbage??), although the aerial photo seems a bit too tidy for that. Who knows what it is? Thanks, Jim S
Cal-chlor in the old delco plant that they rehabbed. It looks like they manufacture some form of rock-salt there. All the covered hoppers ME-2 brings out head to there typically.

As far as the Delco lead, I thought the plan was to acquire that to eventually be able to turn trains on the mid-line-loop, to avoid the cross-plant moves (5 to 1 east) at County.
 #1477618  by Conrail Blue

I know it’s asking a lot but does anyone have a current list of customers served by Metuchen yard? And when/how often they get served?
Also has the old NY Times building or the RPM warehouse gotten any cars recently?
 #1479257  by OportRailfan

Conrail Blue wrote:I know it’s asking a lot but does anyone have a current list of customers served by Metuchen yard? And when/how often they get served?
Also has the old NY Times building or the RPM warehouse gotten any cars recently?
I don't think the NY Times building gets serviced (I just can't tell, doesn't look like there's any change in there), but usually every morning, a CR job comes across Woodbridge Ave and it looks like it goes into the yard adjacent to RPM
 #1480118  by Conrail Blue

I went through the area last Friday and the tracks to the old Times building were indeed used very recently. The dirt was pushed up along the track at the grade crossing. What kind of cargo or who the customer is I don't know.
 #1481677  by OCtrainguy

I caught what I am using was the ME2 yesterday at Metuchen. It was NS 5282, CSX 6159 & CSX 6160 with no cars or caboose. They moved east past the station with the NS loco on the east end. After Amtrak's Silver Star cleared, they proceeded west with the CSX 6160 in the lead. While my sightings of this train are small, this was the first time I saw three engines, but have no complaints about that!
 #1510119  by OCtrainguy

I was at Metuchen this past Friday, May 24th. Close to one o'clock, the local came onto the connecting track for the NEC. The engine was facing west and they didn't shove east this time. They just proceeded west. I didn't get a car count, but it looks like they had boxcars. I am not sure if that's related to the direct westbound move. I do know that Amtrak had MOW forces out on Track 2 in the area, so that maybe more related.
 #1532277  by Bulkheadflat

When can one typically catch the transfer into Metuchen? I've had the luck of seeing the RCRY as well as the switcher working at the Whitman Ave crossing a few mornings, but would love to see the transfer arrive sometime.
 #1532891  by Erie Limited

If I'm not mistaken, the transfer from Oak Island arrives around 10-11pm and returns north a few hours later. All under the cover of darkness. It used to occasionally run in daylight but Amtrak prefers they only run during off-peak, overnight hours. Exceptions can occur (and did recently occur on a Saturday in late December).
 #1533400  by Bulkheadflat

Erie Limited wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:02 pm If I'm not mistaken, the transfer from Oak Island arrives around 10-11pm and returns north a few hours later. All under the cover of darkness. It used to occasionally run in daylight but Amtrak prefers they only run during off-peak, overnight hours. Exceptions can occur (and did recently occur on a Saturday in late December).
Thanks very much! It would be nice to see them roll thru Metuchen station on the way in, is that job just mon-fri or is it 7 days a week? We really like the local pub there, Hailey's, and it's just a few doors down from the station, so I'm thinking maybe we can time a visit to the pub to coincide with catching the transfer.
 #1535487  by Bulkheadflat

OCtrainguy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:21 pm While over three years ago, I was able to catch the Oak Island to Metuchen transfer while awaiting the Palmetto as Metropark station in August 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNjrIQQRagQ
Nice footage, thanks for sharing! Is that destined for Metuchen, or leaving for Oak Island? There were quite a few empty lumber racks on it, which made me think they were leaving the area.
 #1537213  by OCtrainguy

Bulkheadflat wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:20 am
OCtrainguy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:21 pm While over three years ago, I was able to catch the Oak Island to Metuchen transfer while awaiting the Palmetto as Metropark station in August 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNjrIQQRagQ
Nice footage, thanks for sharing! Is that destined for Metuchen, or leaving for Oak Island? There were quite a few empty lumber racks on it, which made me think they were leaving the area.
You are correct as the train was heading from Metuchen to Oak Island.
 #1554964  by OCtrainguy

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:21 pm Quick question: How often does ME-2 bring cars down to the industrial park near the Jersey Ave train station?
I usually just catch them at Metuchen, but from what it sounds like, that move happens several times per week.