Railroad Forums 

• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#660841  by TAMR213

I see that many other lines around the state have threads dedicated to them, thought maybe we could keep a running tab of Metuchen Yard, and area freight operations.

I haven’t been out shooting much recently, but plan on getting back into it with this new camera I just got. A couple of questions and things I’ve noticed:

-When can one usually spot freight under the wires between Metuchen and Jersey Ave. these days?

-I’ve noticed that they’ve been working on the upper yard lead grade crossing at Woodbridge Ave. in Edison, anyone know why? In relation to this, I haven’t seen a car stored in the Upper Yard (next to the EPA) in a long time. IIRC, they used to interchange with the RCRY here. How is this operation handled now?

-How has the RCRY been doing, and what is the status of the rumored port facility from awhile back? In addition, what is the status of the line between Raritan Center and Perth Amboy?

-Hopefully this new waste transfer station can drum up some more freight traffic in the area, which is nice to see. I seem to remember freight operations on the NEC being busier when I was a kid in the early 1990’s.

Again, was making this thread in hopes of drumming up some discussion about operations in this area, and keep it all in one place, similar to the Freehold, Lehigh, Southern Sec., threads.
 #660906  by Kaback9

*subscribed*

I have been trying to catch the train through Jersey Ave for sometime, either I have been on the train heading somewhere or they are just not there.
 #660921  by TAMR213

I also remember County Yard being a lot busier. While its never had jobs based out of it (in recent years at least), it would always be full of cars in transit between Metuchen Yard and local industries, it looks like a ghost town these days.
 #660928  by Kaback9

TAMR213 wrote:I also remember County Yard being a lot busier. While its never had jobs based out of it (in recent years at least), it would always be full of cars in transit between Metuchen Yard and local industries, it looks like a ghost town these days.
Same goes for Metuchen yard, last time I shot anything there it was just two Geeps, the yard was empty :( .
 #661092  by wolfboy8171981

TAMR213 wrote:I also remember County Yard being a lot busier. While its never had jobs based out of it (in recent years at least), it would always be full of cars in transit between Metuchen Yard and local industries, it looks like a ghost town these days.
You'd be surprised how much room all those cars of auto parts took up for Ford!
 #661125  by Grump

Kaback9 wrote:The closing of the Ford plant definitely killed some operations in and out of Metuchen.
That and Conrail pissing business away to the RCRY and its predecessor.
 #661146  by OCtrainguy

Didn't some of the businesses in the Jersey Avenue area also close down?

NS GP38-2 5311 was at the yard office shortly before three o'clock this afternoon.
 #661195  by nick11a

I haven't really been down near Metuchen in a while.

Things are slower I'm sure. A few customers have been lost. What you will find is that some days ME2 (or a given local) will seemingly not have many cars and other days they'll have quite a few. It all depends on what is coming when and for who. When I was down there, ME2 would depart for County anywhere between 10 AM and 2 PM. Best of luck.

Hopefully this new garbage transfer facility at County will help stimulate Conrail Metuchen Yard when it is built.
 #661203  by Kaback9

nick11a wrote:I haven't really been down near Metuchen in a while.

Things are slower I'm sure. A few customers have been lost. What you will find is that some days ME2 (or a given local) will seemingly not have many cars and other days they'll have quite a few. It all depends on what is coming when and for who. When I was down there, ME2 would depart for County anywhere between 10 AM and 2 PM. Best of luck.

Hopefully this new garbage transfer facility at County will help stimulate Conrail Metuchen Yard when it is built.
The last time I photographed an engine on the Corridor out of Metuchen was a lone GP15-1 heading back to Metuchen. The last thing I photographed at the yard was this. The yard was very empty and a sad sight. I have noticed though that there always seem to be cars in the yard along side the NEC between Metuchen and Edison. They have a nice Conrail blue hack I would love to get some shots of!
 #661337  by TAMR213

Was there yesterday around 11:30, and this was the scene. 2798 (which was sporting two different style numberboards) was sitting on a cut of cars, waiting to leave the yard. Possibly ME-2?
Last edited by TAMR213 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #661591  by nick11a

Not sure which train that is Kaback. It's east of Metuchen, so, it PROBABLY isn't ME2 as they would return from County on the West End. Unless the dispatcher gave them a Form D to operate east on Track 4 to Lincoln. It can happen.

Yup, I'm happy they're still there (Metuchen Yard), but there does seem to be a lot less activity.

Two Years Ago:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 516&nseq=2
 #662371  by Kaback9

Passed by County while on the way to Bristol, there were a bunch of covered hoppers and tank cars sitting near the Jersey Ave platform. When I returned only the covered hoppers were there and it looked as if cars had been delivered to customers along the line. So ME-2 was definitely busy today.
 #662466  by nick11a

Kaback9 wrote:Passed by County while on the way to Bristol, there were a bunch of covered hoppers and tank cars sitting near the Jersey Ave platform. When I returned only the covered hoppers were there and it looked as if cars had been delivered to customers along the line. So ME-2 was definitely busy today.
Covered hoppers could be for one of the industries right there, but the tankers are for Arm and Hammer about a mile west of there.