Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned tracks in Hillsborough, NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#606088  by PVRX1

Former Central Railroad Company of New Jersey Flemington branch. Somerville - Flagtown - Neshanic Station - Three bridges - Flemington. Flemington - Three Bridges owned and operated by the Black River Rail System, Three Bridges to Somerville long long removed before google and map quest were created.

As for the Lehigh Line its a 24 hour a day railroad.
 #606146  by R36 Combine Coach

CNJ abandoned the Flemington Branch long ago, in the 1950s or early 60s at latest. Black River & Western purchased the old ROW and the ex-PRR line to Lamberville in the mid 1970s.
 #606225  by pierrerabbit

Not sure of the exact dates, but there were occasional freights on the branch into the 70's. I remember as a boy the "local" coming through town at "walking speed". Towards the end, the bridge in Neshanic became so bad, it was easier for the Flemington freight to come in off the PRR Bel Del, via the BRW. My guess is the tracks between Somerville and Three Bridges were torn up around '75-'76.

Do we have a CNJ expert out there?
 #606961  by JimBoylan

In early 1979, the bankruptcy Trustee had given up trying to sell the branch as a railroad, and McHugh Bros. bought some of the crossing equipment. The tracks were torn up soon after.
 #607133  by wolfboy8171981

R36 Combine Coach wrote:CNJ abandoned the Flemington Branch long ago, in the 1950s or early 60s at latest. Black River & Western purchased the old ROW and the ex-PRR line to Lamberville in the mid 1970s.

I have seen pictures of BR&W #60 and the orginal coaches getting interchanged in Flemington from the CNJ to the PRR in 1964.

After the BR&W became a common carrier in 1968, CNJ freight was interchanged with the PRR and BR&W. The CNJ had embargoed the line, but there were still valuable customers just east of Flemington. In 1972 the CNJ then sold the Central Branch from the PRR connection to the Hunderton County Line and RS3 #1554 to the BR&W.
 #609408  by JADes718

I spoke with a resident who lives on Mill Lane (near the river) near the old right of way. He stated that he remembers back in the 60's train crews stopping to buy eggs from his family. He told me that they were short freight trains which operated "pretty slow".
 #609519  by pierrerabbit

I know the exact house you are talking about. I mentioned this in a CNJ thread, but if you travel east from the river on mill lane, you will pass a couple of houses, then go under the lehigh line (MP44). Just past that, on the right is an old tunnel where the CNJ passed under the lehigh line. Its a cool spot to explore.
 #609670  by Chessie GM50

Peter, don't you mean that area in 3 bridges, where the Lehigh Line bridge is, and then the abandoned CNJ bridges are (if you look closely, there was a bridge that was over the road, that was moved, and placed on the abandoned tracks) If you do, I know where you're talking about. If not...well I don't!
 #609674  by pierrerabbit

Chessie - No. This is across the river from neshanic (the white bridge). If you look at Google Maps, type in "Neshanic Station NJ", it will pinpoint the intersection of Elm, Mill Ln, and River Rd. Follow Mill Lane travelling East, and the map even shows where the tracks cross. There is an awesome photo oportunity of an NS freight travelling over the tunnel.