Railroad Forums 

• PRR Amboy Secondary Questions.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1513021  by kilroy

The railroads don't want short haul business with containers but an even bigger issue is how do you unload them at the distribution center? The centers aren't going to spring for the equipment to off load the containers.

Much more economical they way it is.
 #1513033  by ApproachMedium

Unfortunately clogging our roads is more economical for them. The right way to fix this would be putting some kind of intermodal yard within the industrial park, but then you run into the overhead clearance issues. Any of the stuff that is domestic could travel by boxcar instead of container, which im sure already happens and is transloaded somewhere else.
 #1517061  by carajul

I explored the NJLB quite a bit in 1992 when work took me to the area. The catenary was still in the whole way and looked in perfect shape. This was before internet/google maps mind you, so I didn't know where I was. Well, I ended up in the coal yards at South Amboy where the coal classification was done. There were approx 12 tracks still in across the yard area, all with overhead catenary. It was like a jungle of wire above those tracks. Only a single track was still in use all the way to the north part of the yard. All the warning signs (high wire/low wire), yard lights, and other interesting things were still in place but rusted solid. It looked like a post apocolyptic wasteland. The yards closed in the mid-1960s and that means for 35 years that yard sat there derelict.

The current road bridge that is labled as Radford Ferry Rd on google maps, next to the single RR track, held 5 tracks with catenary above it. It was being used by dump trucks to access the sand pits and the tracks were burried. I think this is how locos got to the diesel hold up area.

I think CR tore out the yard tracks and caternary in the late 90s early 2000s. Really don't know what the point of this was why not just leave the wire up and energize if needed.