Railroad Forums 

• PRR Amboy Secondary Questions.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#586398  by David Hutchinson

McCormick Sand was the operation. I remember seeing an Alco S-type switcher (might have been via Naparanno) and one of South Brooklyn's switchers (remember one of these also being at Naparanno around that time) there at South Amboy.
 #586925  by Zeke

In 1965 a barge creamed the NY & LB River draw and all kind of once in a lifetime moves took place from Midway to South Amboy via the"Back Road" as it was referred to by PRR men. The only out let for E Port bound CNJ freight trains off the Southern secondary from Bridgeton was via South Amboy to Midway then east on the corridor to Lane , the Greenville branch to CY tower then the N & E along side the NJ turnpike to Eport yard. The CNJ put engines on both ends of the Eport- Bridgeton JS-1 and 2 plus two other road trains whose symbols escape me.This went on for a month or more. Doubleheaded GG-!'s with 20 P-70's, CNJ double headed Geeps on both ends of 20 car deadhead passenger trains and all matter of exotic Alco, EMD and Fairbanks Morse lash ups on the CNJ freights.I saw several of them shooting thru New Brunswick the FM had a unique sound that could be heard long before they passed. It was a pretty big deal at the time I am sure some photos exist somewhere.
 #589259  by BlueFish

In the early to mid 90's the Amboy was 25 mph and the welded rail was only from Essay Interlocking in South Amboy to around DCS station OB at the west end of the yard. At the time the SA-33 was running upwards of 30 cars a day to Dayton and Spotswood. This caused the crews to have to do a double runaround at Dayton, because the runaround could only handle 17 cars. Also, the SA-31 was running about 8 to 12 cars on the Hightstown Industrial. Ah the memories. :-)
 #599014  by Tom_E_Reynolds

Great shots Gerald! I love those old tracks next to the mill. I am still surprised they were never ripped up, even today in 2008. (I was surpised to see them when I first found them in 1988!)

Anyone know when the snuff factory last recieved a shipment, and what it may have been?
 #1447921  by bigblue5277

wolfboy8171981 wrote:For those who care here is a list of customers located on the Amboy Secondary.

MP 5.0 Madison Chemical- tank cars
A.E Allen Pole co.- Bulkhead flat cars
MP 7.0 Minteq - loaded sand hopper, Empty boxcars
MP 7.8 Swhitzer - Boxcars wood pulp
MP 8.6 Greif Brothers- boxcars
MP 8.7 Inland Container- Boxcars paperboard
MP 15.0 BASF- Tank cars
MP 15.6 Home Depot-boxcars and flat cars lumber
Cary Compounders- Plastic hoppers
PSS Wharehouse- Boxcars of goods
MP 15.8 Cardinal Wharehousing Boxcars
MP 15.9 North American Packaging- Plastic Hoppers
MP 16.0 Southern Container- Boxcars paperboard
MP 16.3 Air Products and Chemical - Tank cars loads and emptys
Flint Ink- Tanks of non haz oil, carbon black hoppers
Film Packaging co. - plastic hoppers
Sappi Fine Paper- Boxcars paper
MP 16.5 Proctor and Gamble. Tanks corn syrup

this is the busiest line served out of Browns yard. From MP 15-16.5 is served by the SA-33 M-F during the nite.

wolf
SA3 just off the Amboy Secondary on its way to picking up empty tank cars from either Old Bridge Chemicals or Madison Chemical Co.
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/606133/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SA3 crossing Old Water Works Rd.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4815626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Improvements to this crossing have recently been made. I believe that rail service to this facility has only picked up or restarted in the last year or two.
 #1512874  by E-44

What would it take to reopen the severed portions of the branch to serve all of those distribution centers down around Monroe? All that rusty rail running right by all of those centers - often within yards. Seems crazy to have all of those trucks jamming the roads when a train could do the job. I'm guessing that most of those distribution centers are handling container materiel from the NY/NJ ports and could come down the Chem Coast through the Amboys and onto the back road. Clearance issues for double-stacks an issue?