Railroad Forums 

• The Freehold Secondary Mystery

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1407029  by Blackseal Jim

Heard that BGS has lengthened the siding to accept cars that carry 60' beams. I noticed while I was working across street that the center beam cars were further in the yard than a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it'll make for some longer trains.
Jim H
 #1412009  by RailsEast

Good weather this year for the run; as the train looked minutes from departure from Browns Yard....

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=4598277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
 #1412150  by CJPat

Do they haul any cars down or back with them? What would be the reason for two (2) engines if it's just pulling a hack? To provide some load to the engine?
 #1412152  by R&DB

Conrail Shared Assets is operated by CSX and NS. The Santa train (including the caboose) is decorated for Christmas with both companies represented. See Chris's photo a couple of posts previous.
 #1418119  by southern sec. kid

Drove through Freehold today with hopes to catch the train. CSX 4415 was running LHF with one hopper car, 2 loaded Centerbeam flats and one boxcar. Caught them idling away right before the Wemrock Road Bridge. Not sure if they usually wait there or not, I was guessing there was a tree down on the line somewhere ahead.
 #1431620  by bigblue5277

Train crossed Halls Mill Rd. to serve Prestone at 5:30ish this Monday evening. CSX 4415 + covered hopper + tank car + splat.

Train must go to Prestone (end of line) at least once a week (M or W).

With this info I wish others would be able to photograph and post some pics of this local operation.
 #1434447  by CNWMAN

Is there any photographic record of any steam engines other than K4's and Atlantics in use or traveling on the Freehold Secondary back in the Jamesburg to Sea Girt days? I know a special with the King of England went through in 1939 with cars from Canadian Pacific I believe, but I'm not sure what pulled it on that route. Just curious, watching lots of Youtube Pennsy steam videos and it occurred to me that for all the types of steam Pennsy had, what if any had been used on the route back in the days of steam. Also, what diesels were used immediately after steam into the 60's and 70's , does anyone know or have photos?
 #1434463  by TOMSTV1

The last steam run was 1957 for a fan trip, and the PRR. 4666 Doodle Bug ran from the 50s till 1962. they tore the line from Manasquan to Farmingdale up in 1964. It's now a bike path.
 #1434504  by Blackseal Jim

CNWMAN wrote:Is there any photographic record of any steam engines other than K4's and Atlantics in use or traveling on the Freehold Secondary back in the Jamesburg to Sea Girt days? I know a special with the King of England went through in 1939 with cars from Canadian Pacific I believe, but I'm not sure what pulled it on that route. Just curious, watching lots of Youtube Pennsy steam videos and it occurred to me that for all the types of steam Pennsy had, what if any had been used on the route back in the days of steam. Also, what diesels were used immediately after steam into the 60's and 70's , does anyone know or have photos?
I have some pictures that my Grandpop took of Pennsy steam in town and a postcard dated from 1903 that has a small 4 4 0 in front of the Pennsylvania station with a passenger train. As far as the diesel locomotives , I have no pictures. I think he lost interest in the PRR at that point and working at the Rugmill it was much easier photograph the CNJ.
Jim H