Railroad Forums 

• CNJ east of Elizabeth...abandoned or not???

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#580886  by Jtgshu

There has been fiber optic installation on the RVL recently all along the line. I wonder if they are going to keep going and be installed on the CNJ east of Aldene (and west of High Bridge?)

I remember about 10 years ago now i guess, the remaining track was cleared as they were installing I think a Fiber Optic line then as well, and were using hi-rail equipment.

It would be nice to see the track cleared again, it could use a "haircut" if you will......... :)
 #580929  by transit383

Curious as to whether or not Linden Avenue was always a grade crossing, I went to Historic Aerials and sure enough, there was always a grade crossing at that location. Kind of odd, considering most of the other roadways cross the former CNJ Main via a bridge through this area (some bridges dating back as far as 1911).

For those interested, here is the 1954 Aerial of the location:

Historic Aerial: 1954 over Linden Ave

The sidebar on the right allows you to see the same aerial from different years.
 #580967  by CNJ

transit383 wrote:Curious as to whether or not Linden Avenue was always a grade crossing, I went to Historic Aerials and sure enough, there was always a grade crossing at that location. Kind of odd, considering most of the other roadways cross the former CNJ Main via a bridge through this area (some bridges dating back as far as 1911).

The sidebar on the right allows you to see the same aerial from different years.
Just to clarify. This is Linden Road and not Linden Avenue. The CNJ mainline represented the boundary between Roselle and Roselle Park, NJ.

There is a separate Linden Avenue in Elizabeth
 #581149  by CJPat

transit383 wrote:Curious as to whether or not Linden Avenue was always a grade crossing, I went to Historic Aerials and sure enough, there was always a grade crossing at that location. Kind of odd, considering most of the other roadways cross the former CNJ Main via a bridge through this area (some bridges dating back as far as 1911).

As a boy, around 1970, my mother would take us kids over to Warananco (sp?) Park to go ice skating at the indoor arena via this grade crossing. I was always awe struck about going over the six track crossing and had wondered why there was no bridge or underpass like everywhere else. Well, I think that 1954 photo shows the bridge that once was there but it is gone by 1966. Maybe that Linden Rd bridge used to be one of those rickety bridges like the Gordon St bridge in Aldene and couldn't handle to increase vehicle traffic.

As a side note - If I recall properly, I think my folks had told me that the industrial building on the southeast corner of that crossing used to be a plant owned by Edison (not to be confused with the West Orange Plant).

BTW - Whatever became of that ice skating rink?
 #581346  by transit383

Stumbled upon this photo on Railpictures:

CNJ 1546 at Roselle Park in 1950

Where exactly was the Roselle Park Station on the old main? And what road is that in the background? Not sure if that bridge is still standing... I have never seen a truss bridge with an arched bottom like that...

I think the Linden Road signal bridge is visible if you look hard enough in the distance.
 #581423  by CJPat

The Roselle station was located at the intersection of Chestnut St & 1st Ave. The bridge in the background is probably Walnut St, which is similar in design to Gordon St. I figure Linden Rd must have had a similar bridge at some point.
 #581476  by faxman

I did not think there was a bridge at Linden Rd because there a signal bridge just west of the road. A train going west would not be able to see the signal there.
 #581513  by Don31

There was never a bridge at Linden Road. I think the reason was, compared to streets like Chestnut Street, Locust Street and Elmora Avenue, the traffic didn't justify one.
 #581525  by CJPat

Don31 wrote:There was never a bridge at Linden Road. I think the reason was, compared to streets like Chestnut Street, Locust Street and Elmora Avenue, the traffic didn't justify one.
But Gordon St did? Odd. The CNJ did the massive grade seperation everywhere but Linden Rd and I think Center St, Garwood (which was a grade crossing up to the mid '60's and then they built the underpass)? Are you sure, Don? I guess the grade seperation work was conducted in/about the 1930's? Garwood would have been just a hick hamlet with some manufacturing along the railroad so I guess Center St was considered too minor to bridge and too major to block off. I would have thought Linden Rd was considered a bit more developed being adjacent to Elizabeth and therefore bridged. That 1956 Aerial looked like it had a bridge. I guess I misread because of the resolution. Blimp photos, go figure. :wink:
 #581722  by Jtgshu

Dang im good!!!

Today i noticed the ROW was partially cleared by the NEC bridge but not where the remaining track was, it looks like where the northern most track would be was cleared. I saw what looked like a manhole/box surrounded by safety tape, similar to what is all up and down the RVL for the fiber optic installation i mentioned earlier.
 #581733  by Don31

CJPat wrote:
Don31 wrote:There was never a bridge at Linden Road. I think the reason was, compared to streets like Chestnut Street, Locust Street and Elmora Avenue, the traffic didn't justify one.
But Gordon St did? Odd. The CNJ did the massive grade seperation everywhere but Linden Rd and I think Center St, Garwood (which was a grade crossing up to the mid '60's and then they built the underpass)? Are you sure, Don? I guess the grade seperation work was conducted in/about the 1930's? Garwood would have been just a hick hamlet with some manufacturing along the railroad so I guess Center St was considered too minor to bridge and too major to block off. I would have thought Linden Rd was considered a bit more developed being adjacent to Elizabeth and therefore bridged. That 1956 Aerial looked like it had a bridge. I guess I misread because of the resolution. Blimp photos, go figure. :wink:
I'm pretty sure Pat, yes. I read an article in Trains magazine once by a guy who lived in Roselle and he wrote that in the early evenings he could hear the steam engines whistling for the Linden Road crossing. This was in the early 1950s IIRC.
 #587896  by CJPat

Jersey Jeff wrote:
CJPat wrote:BTW - Whatever became of that ice skating rink?
The Warinanco Park rink will open on Nov. 15. You'll find my son and I there occasionally for open skate sessions.
Thanks, I appreciate the info Jeff. What a great place. That was the first time I ever saw a Zamboni. Didn't learn what it was called for another 10 years! :-D
 #1510718  by Amtrak207

Reviving an old thread.

Does anyone have a picture of the actual Linden Road grade crossing (like from the roadway or street view) showing the crossbucks and tracks crossing the roadway? I seem to remember two standard mast-style crossbucks with flashers and gates (mid-1980's).

I think there was still more than 1 track crossing Linden Road at the time. I remember (even as a kid) that there was 4 tracks still intact through the former CNJ Elizabeth station and remember (by now, mid to late-80s') Conrail tearing up most of the tracks. I only saw 1 NJT shop move and 1 lone Conrail switcher back then (small boy but I do remember them!)

ANY pictures of the grade crossing in the "Conrail days" would be greatly appreciated.

Tom