Railroad Forums 

• SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1318737  by BigDell

brianc02 thanks for posting that!

Okay - pardon the ignorant question but I can't seem to find the answer by browsing. Where does most of the SIRR traffic go once it crosses into NJ? Meaning by what route? And is there a connection to the Chemical Coast (pardon the CNJ terminology)?
BigDell
 #1318762  by wolfboy8171981

BigDell wrote:brianc02 thanks for posting that!

Okay - pardon the ignorant question but I can't seem to find the answer by browsing. Where does most of the SIRR traffic go once it crosses into NJ? Meaning by what route? And is there a connection to the Chemical Coast (pardon the CNJ terminology)?
BigDell
The Chemical Coast is the only route to take once in NJ. When the bridge was rebuilt a ramp was built to connect southbound CCS to Eastbound SIRT. The rest of the SIRT from AK to Cranford remains out of service owned by the County.
 #1319018  by pumpers

wolfboy8171981 wrote:... The rest of the SIRT from AK to Cranford remains out of service owned by the County.
Doesn't the old Esso Bayway refinery (whoever owns it now) on the other side of NJTP use SIRT to store cars with inbound or outbound loads? (Maybe that is legally still OOS.) Who actually operates those trains on that SIRT section? The same people who have the plant switching job (M&E)? I guess if the county owns it, it is under lease by the county to the refinery or to the operator (and then Bayway would pay the operator for the storage).
Thanks, JS
 #1319053  by kilroy

Phillips owns the refinery now and the cars stored there are the M&E's responsibility (don't know about who pays who for storage). The M&E has operating rights over the SIRT to Cranford. I have chased a train a few years ago over the line.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=962527

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=962526
 #1319059  by BigDell

Phillips owns the refinery now and the cars stored there are the M&E's responsibility (don't know about who pays who for storage). The M&E has operating rights over the SIRT to Cranford. I have chased a train a few years ago over the line.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=962527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=962526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love those pics. We had such high hopes back then.... :-)

Thanks for the info. I was never able to follow the changes made on the NJ side after AK was fixed up and the trains were rolling.
It WOULD be nice to see something go from SI through to Cranford and the LV, but that's just me foaming oops dreaming.

Glad things are moving, either way.
 #1319076  by pumpers

kilroy wrote:Phillips owns the refinery now and the cars stored there are the M&E's responsibility (don't know about who pays who for storage)
. Since I never hear about traffic on the SIRR to Cranford, I assume all those cars I see on Google maps are going in and out via the Bayway refinery trackage to the Chemical Coast (and must be related to Bayway business) - is that right?
Also, related, back when there was that murky fix-up of the SIRR about 10 years ago, did they ever do anything with the bridge over the NEC? I remember reading that it needed some kind of reinforcement, but don't remember reading if anything was actually done in the end. But I guess (loaded?) cars and engines did roll over it according to your pictures. ...

JS
 #1332396  by SecaucusJunction

Helped out, I'm sure, by the continued west coast port problems, Expressrail NJNY crushed the old record and recorded 46,148 lifts in March (the latest month statistics available). That is 10.4% higher than last year and almost 10,000 lifts more than the same month in 2013. Finally, it looks like sustained growth for the railroads coming out of PANYNJ after years of trucks stealing the show.

Information available on the Port Authority website.