Railroad Forums 

• SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#422595  by SIRR4207

ahh my videos....more to come

#422636  by VinLaz

Nice vids!! :-)

#422675  by myfavscr

Yes very nice. Still waiting for any type of pic or vid of BY8 crossing the bridge though. :wink:

#422804  by JADes718

I'm a little confused. If I understand all the discussion, there is only 1 train a day origniating from the terminal. So if this is true where's all the containers that the PANYNJ is talking about, I think the newspapers were talking about 300 truck trips a day over the gothels? It doesn't added up!

#422921  by SIRR4207

Every truck makes about a dozen trips a day between PNCT and NYCT. Times that by 20 trucks that run back and forth. I see a difference now and a bigger one will be seen in the coming years. I have a picture of the BY8 going over the bridge. I cannot upload the picture I need to shrik its size.

#427690  by SIRR4207

Drove past arlington yard today saw 2 CSX WB 7714 & 7734 if I remember correctly. Had a nice cut of stacks and trash cars.

#432390  by Steve F45

took a drive down there today and was hoping to catch a train going over ak. Didn't see anything going on while there. I could not find one place to try and pull over close to the water to try and get a pic of the train going over the bridge. Does anyone know if its possible to get this shot without having to be on a boat?

#432397  by blockline4180

2005Vdub wrote:took a drive down there today and was hoping to catch a train going over ak. Didn't see anything going on while there. I could not find one place to try and pull over close to the water to try and get a pic of the train going over the bridge. Does anyone know if its possible to get this shot without having to be on a boat?

Nope!
I don't live there, but from what I was told from a friend the only way to actually get a good shot is if your on a boat or you illegally tresspass on railroad or gov't property. I wouldn't advise either of that...

Maybe if you take a swim in the sludge and have a waterproof camera it might work!! :P

#436258  by james1787

blockline4180 wrote:Maybe if you take a swim in the sludge and have a waterproof camera it might work!! :P
No thanks, I like having only 10 toes.. I don't need to grow any more of them.

#438948  by Storknest

Posting this as a warning to anyone taking pictures on the Staten Island rail line.

With the opening of the SI rail services, I decided to take pictures of the new line. My first day, most of the pictures came out bad because my hands were not as steady and I forgot how some things work on my old manual camera. Went Saturday with a tripod and found one out of the way road that ended near a rail crossing on the West Shore. Took a picture on the road some distance from the rail ines of a bridge when the police came by asking about my activities and saying the road was abandonded. I told them I was just taking pictures staying off rail and private property and there were no signs on the road about its state, it looked well paved. Went today by the Goethals Bridge and took one picture of the bridge across the highway when I was called over by Port Authority Police. They also inquired about what I was doing, I explained to them and they said they had reports about me and didn't want pictures taken because of the terrorist threat level so I left.

I feel bad, I was taking shots because I was proud that freight rail had come back and to relearn how my camera worked since I hadn't used it in some years and now I can't. And the terrorist thing just felt wrong. I'm thinking of writing somebody about creating some sort of guide to taking pictures if they even allow it. It just stinks that I can't do any picture taking at all.

So a friendly warning to anyone who wants to take pictures of freight rail on Staten Island.

#439340  by nick11a

Man, try to get the photographers rights thing and the NJT press release on photography. Documentation can help you seem more legit.

"Do zoo have ze papers?"

Remember, they're legally aloud to stop and question you, and you have a right to ask whether or not you are being detained. It is THEFT if they force you to delete images and whatnot.

And don't feel bad. They TRY to make you feel bad so you won't do it again. They're very good at it.

#439382  by Don31

Storknest wrote:Posting this as a warning to anyone taking pictures on the Staten Island rail line.

With the opening of the SI rail services, I decided to take pictures of the new line. My first day, most of the pictures came out bad because my hands were not as steady and I forgot how some things work on my old manual camera. Went Saturday with a tripod and found one out of the way road that ended near a rail crossing on the West Shore. Took a picture on the road some distance from the rail ines of a bridge when the police came by asking about my activities and saying the road was abandonded. I told them I was just taking pictures staying off rail and private property and there were no signs on the road about its state, it looked well paved. Went today by the Goethals Bridge and took one picture of the bridge across the highway when I was called over by Port Authority Police. They also inquired about what I was doing, I explained to them and they said they had reports about me and didn't want pictures taken because of the terrorist threat level so I left.

I feel bad, I was taking shots because I was proud that freight rail had come back and to relearn how my camera worked since I hadn't used it in some years and now I can't. And the terrorist thing just felt wrong. I'm thinking of writing somebody about creating some sort of guide to taking pictures if they even allow it. It just stinks that I can't do any picture taking at all.

So a friendly warning to anyone who wants to take pictures of freight rail on Staten Island.
The PANYNJ is notorious for being paranoid. If you were on a public right of way, you're fine. Cops like to bluster and fake s**t, take their badge numbers and try to continue.....

#439397  by Steve F45

the police use intimidation tactics to people who they think are uninformed and have no idea. Its not till they find out that you know about whats legal and illegal that they act like "well we were just making sure". I think i know what street you were on and it certainly didn't seem closed off in anyway.

#439431  by VinLaz

The Port Authority is real uptight when it comes to security. Especially around Howland Hook. I also have seen CSX police driving around SI near the tracks a few days a week. Getting pics anywhere near the terminal is tough without getting questioned or chased.