Railroad Forums 

• SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1480117  by Conrail Blue

riffian, here's an interesting article that may answer your question. The old Salem glass plant has now has new owners who want to bring new tenants to the property. The plant still has rail access which will be used to try and lure new companies. I assume SRNJ thinks new traffic will come on the line which could explain the purchase of trackage.

https://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2018 ... d_thi.html
 #1481971  by R&DB

Stopped by SRNJ Winslow Yard Yesterday to take a few pictures and was surprised to find 2 NS six axle units tied down there. There was also a line of hoppers on the Beasley Point overpass at Winslow. Anybody have any ideas about these finds?
 #1481978  by glennk419

R&DB wrote:Stopped by SRNJ Winslow Yard Yesterday to take a few pictures and was surprised to find 2 NS six axle units tied down there. There was also a line of hoppers on the Beasley Point overpass at Winslow. Anybody have any ideas about these finds?
I've seen NS power tied down there before. They run them down to near the SRNJ engine house to avoid vandalism. The hoppers are most likely H&K stone hoppers waiting for transfer to Pleasantville or empties waiting to go back to Birdsboro. The VERY rare coal trains to Beesley Point typically run through.
 #1492644  by adama1

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... nsolidated

According to a notice of Surface Transportation Board on 04/17/2018 (see above) SRNJ has leased the track from Swedesboro to Woodbury Junction from CSAO and will interchange with CSAO in Woodbury Junction. CSAO will also have a PDT in Woodbury J.

On the south end of the line Salem has invested $3 million in a rail project to spur development in Salem County:

https://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2017 ... ouris.html

http://www.snjtoday.com/story/36728414/ ... sm-economy

Two quotes:
(1) '...When the railroad isn’t being used for commerce, officials say they hope to see the new set of tracks used for tourism. Tourism would be perhaps a railroad car or two or three that would accentuate our wineries in Salem County."It would travel at a slow rate of speed up to Swedesboro and perhaps there’s a restaurant up there that they could stop and enjoy dinner...”

(2) “...Currently we have one client (Empire Blended Products, WI) who’s probably going to take over the Heinz building. They are specialty concrete manufacturers and they will bring in train carloads of sand. That’s what it’s going to be used for primarily in the city of Salem...”

Does anyone know which customers are still active? From N. to S.: Wickes Lumber, Delmonte (2x), South Jersey Farmers Exchange, Mannington Mills, Kopper Poles and Port of Salem
 #1492655  by von schlieffen

None of those named are active. The farmers exchange may receive two cars a year, and I don't think any in 2018. Garmar Industries received some lumber on the conrail part of the line in the past few years. The rest have closed or gone away from rail. Currently there is some SRNJ equipment parked in Woodbury, but the tracks are overgrown beyond Rt 45. CSAO stopped maintaining the tracks and clearing vegetation maybe a year ago. The rail, ties, and ballast are in acceptable shape but it needs a good dose of roundup sprayed all up and down the line, and some general debris clearing. Sad, but I think industry returning to Salem county is just a dream. Even on the Penns Grove line south of Paulsboro, traffic has slowed to a trickle- the Deepwater coal plant is gone and Dupont is mostly shut down.
 #1492659  by liftedjeep

von schlieffen wrote:Even on the Penns Grove line south of Paulsboro, traffic has slowed to a trickle- the Deepwater coal plant is gone and Dupont is mostly shut down.
I wouldn't necessarily say "a trickle".
WPCA-11(CSAO) still regularly interchanges cars with SMS Lines in Bridgeport, and the Deepwater plant is most definitely not gone. As a matter of fact, an NS 507 (empty coal loads) ran up the Penns Grove Secondary Friday night (Nov 30th).
Ben
 #1492688  by adama1

von schlieffen wrote:None of those named are active. The farmers exchange may receive two cars a year, and I don't think any in 2018. Garmar Industries received some lumber on the conrail part of the line in the past few years. The rest have closed or gone away from rail. Currently there is some SRNJ equipment parked in Woodbury, but the tracks are overgrown beyond Rt 45. CSAO stopped maintaining the tracks and clearing vegetation maybe a year ago. The rail, ties, and ballast are in acceptable shape but it needs a good dose of roundup sprayed all up and down the line, and some general debris clearing. Sad, but I think industry returning to Salem county is just a dream. Even on the Penns Grove line south of Paulsboro, traffic has slowed to a trickle- the Deepwater coal plant is gone and Dupont is mostly shut down.
Apparently Garmar Industries and the Farmers Exchange still are customers:
https://youtu.be/zoERwZu9oLs and
https://youtu.be/2MtORJLRYNY

No news from the Port of Salem?

The last years (until recently) quite a lot of money was poured into the reconstruction of the southern part of the line.
For example https://youtu.be/EQitAN-zhKQ
 #1492728  by von schlieffen

liftedjeep wrote:
von schlieffen wrote:Even on the Penns Grove line south of Paulsboro, traffic has slowed to a trickle- the Deepwater coal plant is gone and Dupont is mostly shut down.
WPCA-11(CSAO) still regularly interchanges cars with SMS Lines in Bridgeport, and the Deepwater plant is most definitely not gone. As a matter of fact, an NS 507 (empty coal loads) ran up the Penns Grove Secondary Friday night (Nov 30th).
Ben
The Carneys Point Generating Station is active, the Deepwater plant is gone and the site levelled.

And you're definitely right, there's SMS at Pureland and a few other plants below Paulsboro that still see plenty of traffic. It's the portion below the Gloucester/Salem line that has really seen a decline. I suppose I should have said that rather than below Paulsboro.
 #1492742  by liftedjeep

von schlieffen wrote:
liftedjeep wrote:
Ben
The Carneys Point Generating Station is active, the Deepwater plant is gone and the site levelled.
My mistake. You are correct.

We always referred to the Generating Staion as the Deepwater power plant.
Ben
 #1494449  by von schlieffen

Since last discussion on this topic, the two SRNJ GPs haven't moved from their parking spot at Woodbury wye. There's a lumber car sitting in the yard that looks like it was dropped there, awaiting transport down the Salem line, maybe to Garmar.
 #1494472  by liftedjeep

von schlieffen wrote:Since last discussion on this topic, the two SRNJ GPs haven't moved from their parking spot at Woodbury wye. There's a lumber car sitting in the yard that looks like it was dropped there, awaiting transport down the Salem line, maybe to Garmar.
Actually, last Wednesday (12/12) SRNJ #102 took a single covered hopper down to Woodstown. It was spotted there around noon, and the Geep was back in Woodbury by 3:30pm
Ben
 #1508809  by Conrail Blue

Does anyone have a list of their active customers? I was down there the other week to see them run but didn't stay that long. Was wondering in Winslow Hotmix and 84 Lumber out in Pleasantville were still active.