Railroad Forums 

• West side of Newark Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#280103  by Dougster

Noticed today for the first time in a few months that at least 1 tank car has been delivered to the chemical company at the end of track in Newark. At least there is at leat one customer left after all.

Doug

#280196  by MarkRouters

That's good news Dougster. I've been keeping an eye on the company weekly and I was begining to think that they were never going to get another rail delivery again.

#280323  by blockline4180

That is good news!! Does anyone remember the name of the customer that gets those tank cars? There was another customer on the line who gets covered hoppers more frequently...

#280337  by MarkRouters

I think the name of the customer is WAS Terminals Inc at 126 Passaic St but I'm not sure.

#280358  by riffian

Believe this company is Newark Asphalt and the tank car loads are not chemical related.
 #280880  by chuxter26

The customer is WAS terrminal and the car they got was loaded with Soy Bean oil..they have at least 1 other car in Croxton

#281090  by NJ Vike

Now that would have been a site. I did explore this line in the spring and people in the area were surprised to even know that a train still ran there even if it does run infrequently.

Any potential customers on the line?

#281093  by blockline4180

riffian wrote:Believe this company is Newark Asphalt and the tank car loads are not chemical related.
On another list is was mentioned that Frey Chemical got the tank car. I find it vert interesting that the tank car was NOT chemical. Maybe another customer is active??

I would love to explore down there, but I don't want to be tagged for "target practice"

#281532  by chuxter26

Frey Chemical is on the runaround-just north of W.A.S. Terminal.....It's probably been 10 yrs since they've gotten a car!!

#282770  by B_A_R

Newbie here. This may not be news, but I checked out W.A.S. Terminals today at lunch. The tanker is vegetable oil for biodiesel fuel, and is likely to be picked up Friday night, a worker there told me. They are handling more of that stuff now. See my shots below.

#282847  by MarkRouters

Thanks for the PICs B_A_R.

#282897  by Dougster

Does anyone know why there was such a long gap in service to this company?

#282920  by steemtrayn

Probably because biodiesel was not much of a concern until now.

#282964  by Tom_E_Reynolds

Thanks for the pictures B_A_R!

I am surpirsed that after 10 years that they could even still receive a car.

Doesn't the RR abandon tracks are are unused?

Those tracks look really buried in the pavement!

#282966  by MarkRouters

They were receiving cars all of the time until about 6 months ago. Then they suddenly stopped. This is the first car since then.