Railroad Forums 

• Hillside/Irvington industrial branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1390097  by Erie Limited

The new (relay) rail is still sitting on the ground between Liberty and Hillside Avenues. No sign of any significant trackwork yet.

It has been a few weeks since I've noticed any box cars headed to the paper company. Their deliveries are sporadic, unlike Oasis who gets several veg oil tank cars per day, so it's possible that I missed something.
 #1422051  by time

I saw a train go over the Rt. 78 bridge late on Thursday evening (Feb 23). Well, I saw a light and heard a horn... at 70 mph and in the dark, that's all I could make out without running someone off the road.
 #1424901  by Erie Limited

Joseph DeLuisi wrote:Anything new happening on the Irvington/Hillside Industrial Branch? Also, is the former Bristol Myers plant totally vacant? And is the switch and siding still intact?
Nothing really new happening lately. The relay rail is still rusting in place. I'm starting to think it was dropped there well in advance of any actual project for storage purposes.

I don't think the Bristol Myers switch has been intact for many years, maybe since the late 70s. The property currently has some tenants, one of which seems to be a landscaping operation.
 #1424946  by Joseph DeLuisi

Thanks for the info. Is Oasis Foods in Hillside still receiving vegetable oil tankers? Also, is the paper company in Irvington (Cummings Inc) getting service? And the lumber company in Irvington, Manufacturers Reserve receive service? And there was a Korean frozen fish distributor in Hillside that got sporadic service, the name is Seoul Shik Poom.
 #1425054  by Erie Limited

Joseph DeLuisi wrote:Thanks for the info. Is Oasis Foods in Hillside still receiving vegetable oil tankers? Also, is the paper company in Irvington (Cummings Inc) getting service? And the lumber company in Irvington, Manufacturers Reserve receive service? And there was a Korean frozen fish distributor in Hillside that got sporadic service, the name is Seoul Shik Poom.
Oasis is by far the most active customer on the line. They have a multi-track storage yard adjacent to I-78 and receive multiple loads each weekday (I'd guess an average of 4-5 per day).

I haven't seen 50' box cars of paper recently, but it seems the paper company only gets serviced sporadically. I haven't seen lumber on the branch in many years. I think the only reason they run to the end of the line in Irvington is to use the run-around there.

Seoul Shik Poom gets an occasional high-cube 50' box car. There was one spotted there today, actually.

Aside from that, there are plastic pellet cars spotted below Liberty Ave. I think those are for Hillside Plastics. They do get regular service, as well.