Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned railroad track from Long Branch to Eatontown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#900574  by GSC

The original Monmouth Park track was a half-mile layout, that featured more harness racing than thoroughbred. There was quite a bit of rail yard trackage back then, according to some things I've come across. Later additions made the track 5/8 mile.

After the ban on racing, and Camp Alfred Vail came into being (later named Fort Monmouth), the track was rebuilt at its present location, as the mile track you see today.

I worked with a guy who had done some landscaping / grass maintenance in the area of the original track in the fort, and he said here and there an old tie would surface through the ground and they'd have to dig it out.
 #1245514  by GSC

Had to do some digging for this article. Some great stuff for a talk I'm giving to a local Rotary group.

As always, JT had some great input.
 #1246989  by GSC

scottso699 wrote:Yeah its amazing that there is still rail on the western end of this spur at the southern secondary line.

Here are some pics I took a couple of years ago.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=49026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great shots, Scott. I'll have to check them out, before the brush grows back.

Lots of rail still exists in the old ROW that ran from Branchport (near where Rt 36 / Joline Ave. crosses the NY&LB) all the way east through town, north ofand parallel to Broadway. Take most any north-south street and you'll either cross the obvious ROW or dead end at the ROW. Closer to the ocean, the more rail and ROW is visible. And closer to the east, the neighborhoods get rougher.
 #1511586  by GSC

I love looking through these old posts, especially the history.
 #1511665  by NY&LB

Somewhere....I have slides of the last train from Fort Monmouth to Branchport, a single CNJ RS3 sent to pull the coaches that were used as military housing.... a LONG TIME AGO....If I can find them and digitize them, I will post.
 #1640818  by OportRailfan

NY&LB wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:13 am Somewhere....I have slides of the last train from Fort Monmouth to Branchport, a single CNJ RS3 sent to pull the coaches that were used as military housing.... a LONG TIME AGO....If I can find them and digitize them, I will post.
This is the article I usually recall regarding that:

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/10/03/arch ... diers.html